Rarer Species

JaCoCham

Hi,
I have had my male panther chameleon, Pascal, for about a year and a half, and I find him absolutely fascinating. At some point, in the distant future, I would be interested in expanding to other species, and I am interested in some of the less common species (Meller's, fischer's, trioceros deremensis, etc.) I have seen that some people on the forums have these less common species, and I am curious as to where these can be acquired. At local reptile shops and pet stores, they only have veileds, panthers, and Jacksons, and breeders I've researched only sell those or maybe Parsons. Where would one get a less common, but preferably captive bred specimen, as I do not support selling wild caught animals.
Thank you

Welcome to the forum.
I think it just depends on what you are looking for. Dale Tamura of Tamura designs breeds Mellers. Michael Nash @javadi breeds some of the less common smaller species. @SteveH has a breeding project with Culumma brevicorne. @Action Jackson breeds gorgeous Parsons.

So I think just figuring out what you really want to expand into and then making connections with ethical breeders that have a great reputation. This is a good place to be able to find resources within the hobby. :)

Depending on what you want and where they are naturally from you will need to go to importers like Reptile Pets Direct or One World Exotica. Even then some countries in Africa for example either have a limit on what is exported or the no longer allow exports. European keepers have different species available to them that we don't. @Beman mentioned a few names I would also add Frank Payne at Living Art by Frank Payne. There are a few people working with Trioceros Cristatus and Culumma brevicorne also.

Attachments

• 20221120_130526.jpg
    20221120_130526.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 20220531_143958.jpg
    20220531_143958.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 53
Welcome to the forum.
I think it just depends on what you are looking for. Dale Tamura of Tamura designs breeds Mellers. Michael Nash @javadi breeds some of the less common smaller species. @SteveH has a breeding project with Culumma brevicorne. @Action Jackson breeds gorgeous Parsons.

So I think just figuring out what you really want to expand into and then making connections with ethical breeders that have a great reputation. This is a good place to be able to find resources within the hobby. :)
Thank you. I will research the people you recommended.

Depending on what you want and where they are naturally from you will need to go to importers like Reptile Pets Direct or One World Exotica. Even then some countries in Africa for example either have a limit on what is exported or the no longer allow exports. European keepers have different species available to them that we don't. @Beman mentioned a few names I would also add Frank Payne at Living Art by Frank Payne. There are a few people working with Trioceros Cristatus and Culumma brevicorne also.
Thanks--I'll look into Reptile Pets Direct and One World Exotica, and cool pictures! Are those your chameleons?

Thanks--I'll look into Reptile Pets Direct and One World Exotica, and cool pictures! Are those your chameleons?
Both of those importers are great doing business with. Yes, both of those are mine. The first I have just a lone male and the second are Calumma brevicorne that I have a few of and recently started a breeding project.

Attachments

• 20230506_124140.jpg
    20230506_124140.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 20230316_155038.jpg
    20230316_155038.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 20220815_151827.jpg
    20220815_151827.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 42
Both of those importers are great doing business with. Yes, both of those are mine. The first I have just a lone male and the second are Calumma brevicorne that I have a few of and recently started a breeding project.
Cool! Are Calumma brevicorne significantly harder to keep than other commonly kept species, or is the care generally the same? And what is the species of the lone male?

Back
Top Bottom