How big of an enclosure to host a few chameleons + bunnies + other species

newchamfan

new chameleon keeper but this hobby hit me hard and I cant get enough. I'm kind of trying to go for the jungle look and have a spare closet I think I can convince the wife to turn into a full blown "mini-zoo". its about about 100X48X120. Was thinking of setting it up with a ventilation system, built in lights, rain/mist system with thunder and all. building it in a layered approach where the upper part of the ecosystem will be for a few chameleon species (a panther, couple veiled, etc) no more than 5 all together. then at the bottom figured I can go bio and throw in a few bunnies/hamsters/frogs/other lizards, etc.

is this doable or am i just asking for trouble.

new chameleon keeper but this hobby hit me hard and I cant get enough. I'm kind of trying to go for the jungle look and have a spare closet I think I can convince the wife to turn into a full blown "mini-zoo". its about about 100X48X120. Was thinking of setting it up with a ventilation system, built in lights, rain/mist system with thunder and all. building it in a layered approach where the upper part of the ecosystem will be for a few chameleon species (a panther, couple veiled, etc) no more than 5 all together. then at the bottom figured I can go bio and throw in a few bunnies/hamsters/frogs/other lizards, etc.

is this doable or am i just asking for trouble.
Just my opinion but....

100% don't do this.

You don't even want to keep 2 chameleons together in the same enclosure. Much less keep them WITH other types of animals/reptiles.

Chameleons need to be isolated. The only time I ever see anyone putting even 2 chameleons together, is simply for breeding, for a short, monitored window (this can be a dangerous process as chameleons will literally attack each other). Living together is not an option, as you're confining them in a much smaller space (even in a huge enclosure) than what they'd get out in the wild where they can just simply flee from each other.
Not to mention all these pets have different needs.....Will require different lighting, temps, humidity.

IMO, what would be really cool would be to turn it into a huge enclosure for 1 chameleon, OR do a couple/few enclosure setups in a way to where the chameleons can not even see each other from inside their enclosures.

Before you jump into multiple chameleons though , I highly suggest you start off with your 1 chameleon, get really comfortable with what's required for them (temps, fluctuating humidity, food, maintaining temps and humidity throughout the year, etc) before you take on multiple.

I highly recommend you submit your husbandry for review on here. The help you can get on these forums is amazing.

Hello and warmest welcomes! I agree with Steve's comments above co- habituation is very stressful to chameleons and is not recommended. Co-habbing other species with your chameleon I would only recommend if you are well experienced in all the species you are putting in the enclosure, that way you can monitor each animal to ensure they are not stressed by the situation.

I do love the idea of the large enclosure, I would suggest still doing something like this, bioactive is an awesome idea but just have the one chameleon in it. With that much space you will be able to see all sorts of natural behaviors that you would not otherwise see in a smaller enclosure.

Last edited:
I first want to say I am by no means trying to be rude. However this thread kinda threw me off... I honestly thought reading through it that you were joking and trying to get a laugh. But in case you were not....

Chameleons can not be kept with other species of chameleon much less other types of animals. They have to be kept in their own enclosure by themselves. They are extremely territorial and will kill one another or take dominance over another so that one declines and the other thrives.

Also the idea of putting rabbits, hamsters, frogs and other lizards... I honestly do not understand why you would what to put these animals together in a closet. In the wild it is one thing they all stick to their areas and have a massive amount of space to move through others territory. But all together in a closet this is a disaster waiting to happen.

Hi. Like everyone else, I totally understand what you are trying to create, and it’s a lovely idea, but…it’s just not realistic and would be detrimental to the animals. To add a beautiful slice of nature in your home with a chameleon, consider setting up an extra extra large bioactive enclosure. There is a wide variety of plants which are safe for chameleons, including flowering ones like hibiscus. Some members have created truly gorgeous enclosures. Search thru some of the many enclosure threads for some inspiration. The only animals safe to add in with a chameleon would be your bioactive clean up crew of isopods and springtails. Keep in mind that a chameleon will eventually figure out they have food living in the ground and will spend time hunting and eating the isopods.

Back
Top Bottom