How to import chameleon into US?

scags

Established Member
Just wondering if anyone has any insight on how to properly import reptiles from other countries into the US?

And where do you find exporters of reptiles in other countries?

I’ve been interested in obtaining some not so common species from various countries- in order to start captive breeding projects. However, beyond my limited understanding of cites, I have no clue how the process works, or how to go about finding exporters.

If you have experience in this let me know where to start.

One World Exotica and Reptile Pets Direct are a few of the best importers that have been getting shipments from Madagascar recently.
Nice! And what kind of paperwork is involved with US customs? Do I need special permits or anything? Does customs hold them for any amount of time?

One World Exotica and Reptile Pets Direct are a few of the best importers that have been getting shipments from Madagascar recently.
Also, after googling these companies - they seem to be actual importers. So where are they getting their chameleons? Who are the exporters, and how do you become an importer?

I would like to communicate directly with the exporter and import animals into the US myself.

Also, after googling these companies - they seem to be actual importers. So where are they getting their chameleons? Who are the exporters, and how do you become an importer?

I would like to communicate directly with the exporter and import animals into the US myself.
Yes, those businesses are importers as I mentioned. All of my wild caught chameleons came from them. As far as your other questions I honestly have no idea.

OWE and RPD are just middlemen. Search up how to obtain the permits and then focus on the hard part, finding reputable chameleon ranch/farms/ exporters

OWE and RPD are just middlemen. Search up how to obtain the permits and then focus on the hard part, finding reputable chameleon ranch/farms/ exporters
Thanks that’s what I was trying to get at. I’ve searched how to obtain permits. But it’s so convoluted and hard to understand what I’m doing. So I was hoping to find an importer who understands the process and what I would need to do.

Back
Top Bottom