Should I be concerned?

brighteyez

I have a baby jackson and when I tried to feed him today, he grabed the mealworm from my hand, got it to his mouth, and then dropped it. Two times in a row. He hasn't eaten anything else today. I've never seen him drop anything, so I just wanna check to make sure it's not some sort of warning sign.

First of all quit using mealworms as feeder, they have very rough bodies that will be bad for your cham. Have you tried feeding small pheonix worms or pinhead crickets?

You can use mealworms as a treat. You don't have to quit completely, but I hope this isn't something you feed them often.

Sounds to me like it bit your chameleon, or you powdered it a bit too much so it got the powder instead of the mealworm itself.

Chameleons don't have sticky tongues, instead they use a vacuum to suck the food into the tongue and right into its mouth.

I didn't power the mealworm, and I try not to give them to him that much. I gave it to him because I couldn't get him to eat anything else, and I know that he'll always eat that, which I figure is better than starving.

Since I posted I was able to get him to eat one cricket and a mealworm. I'll keep an eye on him, but I'm hoping that what happened earlier was just a mishap.

Thanks!

That's odd. Was there a chance there was something on the mealworm that would make it resist the chameleon's tongue?

Perhaps a vet visit is in order.

http://www.herpvetconnection.com/nocarol.shtml

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, san-serif]Matthew Wheelock, DVM
Harris Blvd Vet Clinic
5710 West Harris Blvd.
Charlotte, NC 28269
Tel: (704) 596-7387
Pager: (704) 575-7354
[Email]
Comments:
[SIZE=-2] Personally owns: Ambanja blue-barred chameleon; 2 Crested Geckos (Dalmations) 2 Leopard Geckos (Carrot-tails); Does most exotics.(02/04/07) Vet self-recommended

[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, san-serif]

I believe I've seen him mentioned at least once on here, but wait from someone from NC to get back to you first. :)
[/FONT]

My geuss is it bit the chameleon.. if hes eating now, should be fine id think.. i just think that worm was the fiesty one. ;)

Back
Top Bottom