shipping gravid females?

hello all,

im in the process of buying a trio of jasksonii jasksonii farm raised "color morphs" i guess you could call them. :confused: the gentlemen says the males have yellow heads and blue/green bodies and the females are all gravid and im getting a "red phase" idk i have never seen one?? N W wHo.. my question. what is the mortaility rate of most gravid females? any bad expercences? good one? please let me know it will help me make my mind up. i undertand theres a certian risk of shipping any animal but idk if that went up due to the nature of the preg female or not

thanks in adavance
kyle herschberger

Many factors should be taken into cosideration.... The level of experience shipping live animals, the current health of the animal, the distance and weather changes from one place to the next, etc.
The chameleon will suffer some stress, but should adjust just fine as long as you are ready. What i mean by that, is that you have an appropriate cage, lightning, vines (or live cham safe plants), food, supplements etc.
The death rate in over night deliveries of live animals is almost non-existant.

Thank you much I live in Indiana and he won't ship till the cold weather breaks and frankly I don't want in to because I don't want that to be a factor. As far as being ready I am I have a 18 x 18 x 36 with the proper lighting and a huge pathos in the center. A jacksonii paradise ( in my and my other jacksons opption)

thank you much i live in indiana and he won't ship till the cold weather breaks and frankly i don't want in to because i don't want that to be a factor. As far as being ready i am i have a 18 x 18 x 36 with the proper lighting and a huge pathos in the center. A jacksonii paradise ( in my and my other jacksons opption)

well,... Paradise would be more like being free in their natural habitat,... But i get the picture. Keep up with the weather and communicate the best time for the current owner to ship the cham to you.

I was shipped a gravid montium and all turned out well. I have heard however, that there have been several instances where the gravid females have laid blanks after enduring stress from shipment and the whole lot.

you may want to have more than one cage. i have a pair and the female gets pretty pissy when the male is in her cage. she shakes the branch and her throat turns all red. i think that she is gravid. otherwise they are really cool chameleons.

Thank you much I live in Indiana and he won't ship till the cold weather breaks and frankly I don't want in to because I don't want that to be a factor. As far as being ready I am I have a 18 x 18 x 36 with the proper lighting and a huge pathos in the center. A jacksonii paradise ( in my and my other jacksons opption)

You definitely want a separate cage for each chameleon

Many factors should be taken into cosideration.... The level of experience shipping live animals, the current health of the animal, the distance and weather changes from one place to the next, etc.
The chameleon will suffer some stress, but should adjust just fine as long as you are ready. What i mean by that, is that you have an appropriate cage, lightning, vines (or live cham safe plants), food, supplements etc.
The death rate in over night deliveries of live animals is almost non-existant.

Careful about your advice. You live in san diego. If you were to ship a chameleon to me overnight, I would have a very high chance of getting a dead chameleon. My temps will be well below zero during the day and -20 at night. If the chameleon sat on the runway, or in the warehouse, or worse yet, there was a weather delay, the temps could kill the chameleons.

I was shipped a gravid montium and all turned out well. I have heard however, that there have been several instances where the gravid females have laid blanks after enduring stress from shipment and the whole lot.

He is discussing a Jackson and they give live birth. Having live babies born in transit could be a problem as mom might eat them.

Back
Top Bottom