possibly stressed or gravid chameleon

Ii am not a vet and this is just my understanding/idea of what happens during the egg production process...
At the beginning of the cycle, small follicles are found on the ovaries. The follicles begin to grow quickly and the yolk is added. When the follicles are mature they are expelled from the ovary (ovulate). So then the chameleon is gravid...so at the point where we can see that they are gravid (heavy and fat with eggs and with bulges just behind the legs) we want to keep the chameleon healthy so she can lay all the eggs... and I doubt that at that point more follicles are growing (again just my opinion)...so I don't cut them back on the amount of food that is fed every second day. I don't cut back until after the eggs have been laid and I have fed her well for the first couple of days after the eggs were laid to bring her back into better condition.
As I said...this is my opinion and you will have to decide what to do with your chameleon.

For the egglaying process...the chameleon may slow down on the eating just before she is ready to lay...she will likely roam the cage looking for a place to lay the eggs...she may drink more and bask more. Once the time is right she should dig a hole. She may even dig some test holes or dig the same hole until she's happy with it. She should then turn around butt down likely in the evening and lay the eggs. She may finish quickly or stay in the hole all night. When she's done laying she should fill he hole in and tamp the ground down and return to the branches hungry and thirsty and thin.

If it doesn't go this way she may be eggbound. If she is she will need a vet right away.

In a couple of photos she looks like she is gravid. The brownish gold splotches indicate maturity IMHO. Her flattened posture in some of the photos shows stress IMHO.
I hope is helps.

thank you for all the information, i believe she is gravid as well but also stressed. i have no idea what would cause her stress for the last week, as she has never shown any signs of stress over the 4 months i have had her.

I can't tell you what would be stressing her for sure either. Have theire been any changes in her cage or the room that might be stressing her?

One more thing...when she's digging don't let her see you watching her. It will likely make her abandon the hole and if it happens too often it will push her towards egg binding.

I can't tell you what would be stressing her for sure either. Have theire been any changes in her cage or the room that might be stressing her?

One more thing...when she's digging don't let her see you watching her. It will likely make her abandon the hole and if it happens too often it will push her towards egg binding.
i switched her UVB light from a t8 to a t5 and changed her bulb to lower temps as she was hot. this was about 3 weeks ago. other than that i had a lime green towel covering a small hole on the top of her cage for the past week, but nothing else.

i switched her UVB light from a t8 to a t5 and changed her bulb to lower temps as she was hot. this was about 3 weeks ago. other than that i had a lime green towel covering a small hole on the top of her cage for the past week, but nothing else.

I doubt that those things would be the reason.

One more thought...when she reacted that way what where you wearing (colours and patterns?)? Was it the same thing you had on each time she reacted like that?
these colors have been similar to the original photo for about 5-6 days now. i have worn various different clothing items. today i was in my room at my desk all day, wearing a white shirt and some athletic pants, she showed the same colors for pretty much the entire day.

update after removing the flag i had around her cage and the lime green towel i had covering the hole on the roof. last night she had some bright blue dots on her while she was sleeping as well.

Attachments

• 9D3C0CB7-3E6E-46CC-9525-561097E3BD3C.jpeg
    9D3C0CB7-3E6E-46CC-9525-561097E3BD3C.jpeg
    328.7 KB · Views: 59
Even though I’m still a newbie, I’m going to go against what everyone else is saying - I think your girl is either receptive or close to it.
I think she is working on being receptive if that makes seance . I think if there was an X-ray one would find follicles . However the spots ( polkadots ) and darker marking are her saying I’m not happy with something or I don’t feel well .

update after removing the flag i had around her cage and the lime green towel i had covering the hole on the roof. last night she had some bright blue dots on her while she was sleeping as well.
Pretty girl well it seems that one or the other bothered her , they have such Personalities Bossy little things ;) . Do you have something sold to cover the condo with ?

Back
Top Bottom