Gravid female?

courtneyh543

Good evening. I have a 2 year female veiled chameleon that I love dearly. She came to me about a year ago in very poor condition.
Her back legs were broken as a result of multiple falls and MBD, as the previous owner failed to gut-load and provide efficient UVB lighting.
Now a year later she is doing much better, but I noticed recently she had ended up at the bottom of the cage and her coloring is different. I am uncertain if she is gravid or took another fall and is in pain.

*I understand each chameleon owner has their own schedule of care for their sweet little one. I am happy with the level of care that I provide to her and I am asking exclusively about whether she is gravid or displaying coloring to indicate she could be in pain from a fall.
Once answered if there is anything that needs to be mentioned about other aspects of her care, I am open to hearing those suggestions.
I just don’t want to get bogged down in criticism about every aspect of her care, except the question I am asking lol. Chameleon owners are proud, as am I! Ha!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled. Female. 2 years old. I have had her for 1 year.
  • Handling - Daily handling. She is very sweet but quite clumsy so I don’t push her abilities too much or perch her anywhere high.
  • Feeding - A mixture of superstorms, dubia roaches, wax worms (treat), and hornworms (treat).
  • Supplements - ZooMed Repti Calcium-w/o D3, Flukers Repta Calcium w/ D3, Sticky Tongue Farms Indoor Caclium Mineral Supplement w/ D3, and Repashy Superfiods Calcium Plus. (D3 Supplments interchanged twice a month. W/O D3 supplements every other day interchangeably)
  • Watering - Fogger that has a timer and runs mainly at night but cuts on during the “warm hours of the day”. I also mist lightly in the morning and she drinks from the stream.
  • Chameleon Info:
  • Fecal Description - Normal fecal droppings. Consistent.
  • Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen cage
  • Lighting - UVB bulb and day time basking light during the day. Very dim black light on at night to keep her warm.
  • Plants - Live plants. Orchid. Philodendron heart leaf vine. Brazilian philodendron vine.
  • Current Problem - displaying dark colors, found at bottom of cage a few times this week. Wondering if she is gravid or hurt from a fall.

***She has had those black marks on her for a very long time and I’m uncertain what it is. In the past I’ve changed the lighting and incorporated weekly baths into her schedule to keep her hydrated.

Attachments

• 9C30E8E6-000A-4D41-AA54-6EEF16A74657.jpeg
    9C30E8E6-000A-4D41-AA54-6EEF16A74657.jpeg
    87.7 KB · Views: 86
  • CE93DA71-5F6E-41B0-8A20-7379CA5C1DCA.jpeg
    CE93DA71-5F6E-41B0-8A20-7379CA5C1DCA.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 895B4AE9-73C4-4C65-8E84-65EB00831D96.jpeg
    895B4AE9-73C4-4C65-8E84-65EB00831D96.jpeg
    147.4 KB · Views: 98
So I will go through your info... I am not sure how open you are to feedback though with what you said.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled. Female. 2 years old. I have had her for 1 year.
  • Handling - Daily handling. She is very sweet but quite clumsy so I don’t push her abilities too much or perch her anywhere high.
  • Feeding - A mixture of superstorms, dubia roaches, wax worms (treat), and hornworms (treat). How many are you giving per feeding and how often are you feeding? keeping her on a strict diet of 3 days a week with 3 feeders is important to help control clutch size along with ensuring basking temps of 78-80 max.
  • Supplements - ZooMed Repti Calcium-w/o D3, Flukers Repta Calcium w/ D3, Sticky Tongue Farms Indoor Caclium Mineral Supplement w/ D3, and Repashy Superfiods Calcium Plus. (D3 Supplments interchanged twice a month. W/O D3 supplements every other day interchangeably) This is a heavy variety of supplements. You know the repashy calcium plus has D3 and vitamin A right? You only want to provide D3 and A 2 times a month and no more then that. These are fat soluble so they store in the body and can cause issues when given too much. All other feedings you would use a plain calcium without D3.
  • Watering - Fogger that has a timer and runs mainly at night but cuts on during the “warm hours of the day”. I also mist lightly in the morning and she drinks from the stream. So fogging when temps are above 67 is dangerous. Fogging should only be done at night when the temps are the coolest 65 otherwise you risk her developing a respiratory infection.
  • Chameleon Info:
  • Fecal Description - Normal fecal droppings. Consistent.
  • Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen cage
  • Lighting - UVB bulb and day time basking light during the day. Very dim black light on at night to keep her warm. Are you using the linear T5HO UVB? If not her MBD is just progressing. You should not provide any light at night. You should only provide heat if your temps are below 50-55. They really need the cool down.
  • Plants - Live plants. Orchid. Philodendron heart leaf vine. Brazilian philodendron vine.
  • Current Problem - displaying dark colors, found at bottom of cage a few times this week. Wondering if she is gravid or hurt from a fall.
***She has had those black marks on her for a very long time and I’m uncertain what it is. In the past I’ve changed the lighting and incorporated weekly baths into her schedule to keep her hydrated.

You can see her MBD was extensive. I am hoping she has use of those back legs or she will not be able to dig to lay eggs.

She is showing signs of edema as well this can be linked to improper supplementation and an imbalance in the body. Some females will develop Edema when they are gravid. But with your variety of supplements it could very well be linked to that. Have her front arms always been swollen like that? Either she is overweight or showing signs of gout. One arm at the elbow is quite a bit more swollen then the other which makes me lean more towards gout. If gout it is pretty painful for them.

She is not showing typical gravid coloring. But this does not rule it out. Chances of a fall are pretty high from what I am seeing in the images. If she lacks grip strength and is dealing with Gout or MBD still this both can directly impact their ability to grip.

Edema is also something to be concerned about... It is her body directly showing that she has an imbalance.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom