Shedding and eye problem?

howiejai

hi, I have a question about shedding. My veiled was shedding today and I notice that he kept one of his eyes closed from time to time. Is the shedding process causing it? or dehydration? His poop is looking fine to me(white). I am just suspecting that the UVB light might be too close to him?(it's 5-6 inches from one of his favorite spot beside the basking spot).

Can someone help me? I am getting a little worried.

Thanks,
Howard

What kind of blub are you useing? I read about some of the new higer end blubs have cause animals to go blind. It also could be from lack of calicum. Or probley what it is is an eye infection.

When the chameleon rubs his eye on his foliage, is this normal behaviour ?
Mine does, and he also bulges his eye outward while rubbing them.

foliage

What kind of foliage are you guys using? Sometimes the plants can cause the eye irritations.... A good way to tell if your cham is dehydrated is A. The poop and B. if the chams eyes are sunken in, that's a tell tale sign.. but it shouldn't get to that point.

My veiled has normal looking feces. His eyes are not sunken in either. The plant he likes the most is my habiscus plant. The other foliage is fake jungle vines. Is it normal for them to rub their eyes though?

eyes

I can't really say that i've seen my chams rub their eyes.... my guess is they would do it for the same reason a human would, because it's irritated. That's just my opinion though. Habiscuses (to my knowlege, haven't personally used habiscus yet) are good plants to use for chams so you're ok there as far as i know.

When the chameleon rubs his eye on his foliage, is this normal behaviour ?
Mine does, and he also bulges his eye outward while rubbing them.

Perfectly normal from time to time. It could indicate a probem if they are rubbing eyes to branches/plants excessively not during a misting session.

When I first saw the eye bulging action on my female veiled during a misting session, I remember myself freaking out. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom