Eye shed problems

Acidsin0

Good evening,

My 5 year old ambilobe panther chameleon has started to have issues with shed getting stuck in his eyes. Is this something that happens with age? He also seems to be struggling to shed little spots on his upper head and tips of tail. Up until recently he's had absolutely no issues. Nothing has changed in his environment. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Good evening,

My 5 year old ambilobe panther chameleon has started to have issues with shed getting stuck in his eyes. Is this something that happens with age? He also seems to be struggling to shed little spots on his upper head and tips of tail. Up until recently he's had absolutely no issues. Nothing has changed in his environment. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
This used to happen with my two chameleons. I think it might have something to do with age, but I had a baby chameleon who had the same problem. Near or around her eyes, and on her forehead area. Sometimes, the skin might get stuck in the eye, and that is no good. If he can't get the skin out in a few days, I would try flushing his eyes out with saline to see if that would help.

So far I've been able to massage most of it out. Hopefully he doesn't have anything left inside the turret to cause and eye issues. Any other information from anyone is always appreciated. Thank you Raymond and Skittles.

So far I've been able to massage most of it out. Hopefully he doesn't have anything left inside the turret to cause and eye issues. Any other information from anyone is always appreciated. Thank you Raymond and Skittles.
Np! Happy to help!! I'm glad you got most of it out! :D

@Acidsin0 …how often do you use a preformed vitamin A supplement and do you dust lightly or heavily?

How often is your chameleon shedding!

Last edited:
Thank you Raymond and Skittles.
I’d say you’re welcome, but it wasn’t me. :) @elizaann2 deserves the thanks. 💗
Honestly, I don’t know why this would be happening, except for improper supplementation or other husbandry. However, I do wonder if age could have something to do with it, but I lack enough reptile knowledge.
When mammals age into their senior years, the skin loses elasticity as collagen production decreases. Subcutaneous fat is also diminished and this all results in thinner and often fragile skin. How does aging affect reptile skin/scales? @kinyonga do you know?

Back
Top Bottom