Shaky head!!!

tintin189

Hi guys,
My one year old abanja panther is behaving really strange. Its as if he is having a fit, shaking his head about. Also his sense of balance is way off, he is always falling from branches. His grip is fine though and he is eating really well. Any thoughts?:

Maybe he got scared or something.
What have you been feeding him other than the usual, did you feed him so bug you found in your house?

I believe that is a sign of MBD, I have never had this happend but I remember reading about this. I will try and look up some old threads on this to help you out.

Tintin

I have seen this before, about a dozen times, and discussed it with others before, only I do not believe in this forum. What we have observed is that it occurs in half-grown or larger animals. It occurs in animals that otherwise seemed fine LTC. We have not been able to pin it on any deficiency. Antibiotics did not seem to make any difference, under the belief it could have been a bacterial issue with their inner-ear/balance. In most cases, it slowly improved over 3-6 months. About a third of the time, the animals perished after 4-8 weeks, as they were rendered too helpless, and possibly other issues had developed. It has never seemed contagious, and if it were, we would likely know. When one animal in hundreds develops a problem, it doesn't give you much to go on. We just don't know, and like to limit speculation without a better basis to go on. Short of advice resulting from a vet check, I would just recommend helping it along over the coming months if it seems to have difficulty getting food and water, and otherwise hope it slowly improves, as we have seen.

THANKS JIM!!!!!!! guess its not the old go to MBD but boy we sure love to give that diagnosis for everything now dont we! sarcassim!!!!!!!!:p

Cia,

Well, there's so much we don't know. These symptoms could be indicative of ten possible. and very different, maladies. Vet checks can get pricey, but a full fecal and blood work-up might show areas needing improvement. And it is possible that such improvement would help these symptoms. We call this the "wobbles" the few times we have seen it. For all I know, I saw a dozen different sicknesses, all with the same outward symptoms of wobble head and severe balance issues. Maybe some day we will know more.

Could you get us some pictures of the poor guy?

Now these are just random questions, but who knows? Makes sense in humans.
Has there ever been a test to see if there was too much sugar, perhaps, in his food? Too cold? I doubt chameleons shiver, but hell, I dunno.

Last edited:
I have seen this before, about a dozen times, and discussed it with others before, only I do not believe in this forum. QUOTE]

I know I am looking at only a part of your statement, but I trust and value your insights and advice. What do you mean "only I do not believe in this forum. "? I am sorry and know I have no right to question you but if you would explain it would help. Thanks much.

Hey Laurie,

Got me laughing :D Let me reword that (note that I am also a sponsor of this forum, and that costs money, btw).

..... I have participated in discussions on this illness before, although I do not believe that any of those discussions occured in this forum .....

Now, take a deep breath ;)

Jim doesn't believe in usssss! Agggh!

Would a sugar problem (too much carrots etc.) make sense? Or do chameleons handle sugars differently?

Got me laughing :D Let me reword that (note that I am also a sponsor of this forum, and that costs money, btw).

..... I have participated in discussions on this illness before, although I do not believe that any of those discussions occured in this forum .....

Now, take a deep breath ;)

LOL I read it how you meant it Jim, the first time.

haha im reading her quote thinking 'what is the big deal.... he hadn't talked about it here before....

LOL I read it how you meant it Jim, the first time.

haha im reading her quote thinking 'what is the big deal.... he hadn't talked about it here before....

Okay so there are some people whose opinion I value, so shoot me. Why do you think I am on here all time?? To learn.

Hey Laurie,

Heck, it was really pretty funny, and let me explain why. Like happens to so many of us, we write quickly, and think that the syntax and everything else is OK. Then your note made me read it with a very different emphasis, and I was like "Geez ! I didn't mean that" while also realizing it could be read as you did. So it was a good reminder to add the extra word or two. I am sure an English teacher from long ago could scold me with a "if you had studied harder .... ", and I would agree. In the end, I will remember this illustration for some time, and try to avoid similar mistakes. Thanks. :D

hey Jim, all is fine. I am a nut and i worry about the dumbest things. I am always woring that one of my chams has something wrong with it. Not likely with only 9 chams who I monitor and baby way too much. Thanks for all the information you share with us. You really are a fountain of knowledge.:)

He has MBD!!!! Get him t-rex liquid calcium drops as soon as possible. My one veiled had the same problem

Back
Top Bottom