Possible papV?

oldmankujo

Hi, this is old man Kujo, he recently turned 6 and he's previously had MBD - in the first year of his life - totally my fault, I had the wrong lighting and I feel bad every time I look at him. His MBD is a thing of the past, though he has recently (in the last month) had a lump appear on his casque. I noticed it after a fall when his cage had been knocked over whilst moving house. He appeared completely fine apart from this - eating, drinking and moving normally.

After looking at threads on here, I'm inclined to think it's papV but I have no idea how he could've got it and why it has just shown up now? He has 2 live plants in his cage that my dad bought - I think from a reptile shop but I'm unsure - maybe it was in the soil? Maybe it was from some food I bought from a shop?

I'm just looking for any ideas people may have. I don't currently have the money to go to the vet, especially if it is papV and there's no treatment for it other than keeping his cage clean and making sure I'm clean before interacting with his cage.

Attachments

• IMG-20230221-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20230221-WA0003.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20240211_142755.jpg
    IMG_20240211_142755.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 13
Hey there welcome to the forum. It is possible that it is papilloma. With his age and obesity I would be hesitant on getting it biopsied to confirm though. It may also be a some sort of tumor but again the biopsy may be more risky to do on this guy.

I agree with @Beman As long as it doesn’t seem to be bothering or paining him, the risks of having anything done to it may outweigh any benefit to be gained. If you have any other reptiles, take precautions to avoid spreading in case it is a papilloma. If that is what it is, he could have harbored the virus all of his life, but now as he’s getting older, his immune system is declining and perhaps no longer able to keep it at bay. You could have had feeders from a pet store which has poor practices that allow the spread of things. It could be a tumor mass or some other growth and again, the immune system isn’t fighting things off like it used to when he was younger.

Back
Top Bottom