Second-hand solar meter?

Lt.WorfReportingForDuty

Established Member
Hi all, I want to get a solar meter to double check the UV levels in my enclosure but they’re so expensive… does anyone know where there might be a cheaper version (under $200?) or a second hand one? Or a rental? Or does anyone know if the cheaper, $40-ish ones are up to par? Thanks.

I feel like I can recall a conversation similar to this one before. I don’t recall why but I feel like the initial response was the solar-meter was reliable and with the cost vs a cheaper one that wasn’t as reliable.

https://www.amazon.com/Sunlight-Measuring-Harmful-Ultraviolet-Radiations/dp/B078VGLSBM
https://www.amazon.com/Nextav-Detector-Measuring-Light-Level/dp/B07T1VY69Y?th=1

This style is good enough for hobby and reptile use. They are only a little less accurate than a $300 solarmeter. And if you are talking about a solar meter that has heavy use and is 5-10 years old, odds are its more accurate. Nobody here is sending their solarmeter back each year for recal.

So your solar meter might read 3.5. These $40 units will read 3.2-3.7 or might even be tighter to 3.3-3.6. Plus its known that if you get 3 real solarmeters next to each other, they will still be .1 off from each other. Its not like you have to be accurate to the point that its favorite basking spot has to be 3.0 on the dot or bad things happen. You just have to make sure its not reading 4.5 or 1.5. Plus plant growth and light aging are going to happen. Are you going to make and arduino powered stepper motor that slowly lowers your bulb each month so it stays precisely at 3.0?

I feel like I can recall a conversation similar to this one before. I don’t recall why but I feel like the initial response was the solar-meter was reliable and with the cost vs a cheaper one that wasn’t as reliable.

Yup this $20 style is junk.

Untitled.png

https://www.amazon.com/Sunlight-Measuring-Harmful-Ultraviolet-Radiations/dp/B078VGLSBM

This style is good enough for hobby and reptile use. They are only a little less accurate than a $300 solarmeter. And if you are talking about a solar meter that has heavy use and is 5-10 years old, odds are its more accurate. Nobody here is sending their solarmeter back each year for recal.

So your solar meter might read 3.5. These $40 units will read 3.2-3.7 or might even be tighter to 3.3-3.6. Plus its known that if you get 3 real solarmeters next to each other, they will still be .1 off from each other. Its not like you have to be accurate to the point that its favorite basking spot has to be 3.0 on the dot or bad things happen. You just have to make sure its not reading 4.5 or 1.5. Plus plant growth and light aging are going to happen. Are you going to make and arduino powered stepper motor that slowly lowers your bulb each month so it stays precisely at 3.0?
Both of these say in the description that they’re not designed for UVB bulbs

Both of these say in the description that they’re not designed for UVB bulbs

How do i put this...

"these are not designed for industrial use"

You do not buy these things to tune your UVB epoxy Curing bulbs.
You do not buy these things to tune your tanning bed.
You do not buy these things to test for deep UVB UVC for your sterilizer light.

Even a "solar meter 6.5" isnt designed for UVB bulbs.

These are all UVI meters. THEY ARE MEANT TO MEASURE THE SUN. and they are sensitive to the same curve AS HUMAN SKIN.

Solarmeter just happened to notice people buying them for lizards, so slapped a lizard on the front and called it a 6.5R. But they were never meant for bulbs. If you want a true bulb tester you need to get one that measures in watts like the 6.2. But that doesnt help us, since we are trying to mimic the sun.

How do i put this...

These are all UVI meters. THEY ARE MEANT TO MEASURE THE SUN. and they are sensitive to the same curve AS HUMAN SKIN.

Solarmeter just happened to notice people buying them for lizards, so slapped a lizard on the front and called it a 6.5R. But they were never meant for bulbs. If you want a true bulb tester you need to get one that measures in watts like the 6.2. But that doesnt help us, since we are trying to mimic the sun.
OK...wow. Thank you so much. I have been kicking myself in the rear not having a $300 solar meter because I was afraid to use anything else. But I also REALLY can not afford that right now. I'm going to buy this one you suggested right now. I appreciate this so much, as the only thing I've been really "just hoping it's working" is Spikes UVB.

Granted, I did get the Arcadia housing + Arcadia bulb. But of course, I want to have a way to measure to be sure.

OK...wow. Thank you so much. I have been kicking myself in the rear not having a $300 solar meter because I was afraid to use anything else. But I also REALLY can not afford that right now. I'm going to buy this one you suggested right now. I appreciate this so much, as the only thing I've been really "just hoping it's working" is Spikes UVB.

Granted, I did get the Arcadia housing + Arcadia bulb. But of course, I want to have a way to measure to be sure.
Same! I’m following the setup guide, and no signs of MBD, but it’s the only thing in Worf’s enclosure I’m not 100% sure about. I’ll give this one a try as well. Thanks all!

How do i put this...

Sounds about right in marketing the other one with a lizard image 😂

Cool, I’ll give it a try. Thanks! Any preference between the two?

There’s this one on Amazon for $229. Yea it’s pricey but you can pay off in 6 monthly payments (~$40/month)

Solarmeter Model 6.5R Reptile UV Index Meter, Handheld Digital Radiometer for Measuring Ultraviolet Light, Measures 280-400 nm with Range from 0-199.9 UV Index, Made in USA, ABS Polymer, Black https://a.co/d/j9enmtu

So I bought this one:

1699640652508.png

And my results sucked :( I was getting absolutely NO reading from the tops of the branches. I checked 50x to make sure I was using it correctly. I moved it up towards the lamp and nothing at all until I pressed it up AGAINST the screen. I was then finally able to get 0.5, up to 1.5. Pressed tightly against the screen. Then I decided to test it directly under the bulb outside of the enclosure with no screen. I was able to get a reading of 11.0, but I had to basically put it almost touching the bulb. The screen I am using is just like what I had on my Repti-breeze enclosure. So that shouldn't be the issue.

I'm really hoping I have been giving Spike the proper UVB. I believe I am (arcadia, probably least likely to be faulty?). I am hoping this meter just isn't reliable, or the one I received is simply faulty.
I am going to return it as faulty on Amazon, and I found a promising one on Amazon out of nowhere. At least I hope so. If anything knows if I should cancel this order, or if I truly got a steal let me know lol

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BZXQXLQK?psc=1&smid=A3BCBGTMAAZEJO&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

1699641017869.png

So I bought this one:

View attachment 346362

And my results sucked :( I was getting absolutely NO reading from the tops of the branches. I checked 50x to make sure I was using it correctly. I moved it up towards the lamp and nothing at all until I pressed it up AGAINST the screen. I was then finally able to get 0.5, up to 1.5. Pressed tightly against the screen. Then I decided to test it directly under the bulb outside of the enclosure with no screen. I was able to get a reading of 11.0, but I had to basically put it almost touching the bulb. The screen I am using is just like what I had on my Repti-breeze enclosure. So that shouldn't be the issue.

I'm really hoping I have been giving Spike the proper UVB. I believe I am (arcadia, probably least likely to be faulty?). I am hoping this meter just isn't reliable, or the one I received is simply faulty.
I am going to return it as faulty on Amazon, and I found a promising one on Amazon out of nowhere. At least I hope so. If anything knows if I should cancel this order, or if I truly got a steal let me know lol

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BZXQXLQK?psc=1&smid=A3BCBGTMAAZEJO&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

View attachment 346363

Take the "bad" meter outside on a sunny day at noon, it should read 6-7. On a cloudy day it should read 3- 4, again at noon. I mean technically thats a dumbed down way of explaining how solarmeter calibrates their own meters.

Also your other meter you want to buy, is not for reptiles(even if it has lizards on it). Its a UVB meter, odds are with an industrial use sensor in it, and will be very sensitive to deep UVB and UVC. UVB meters havent been recommended for reptiles in 20 years thanks to the advent of the UV Index.

Take the "bad" meter outside on a sunny day at noon, it should read 6-7. On a cloudy day it should read 3- 4, again at noon. I mean technically thats a dumbed down way of explaining how solarmeter calibrates their own meters.

Also your other meter you want to buy, is not for reptiles(even if it has lizards on it). Its a UVB meter, odds are with an industrial use sensor in it, and will be very sensitive to deep UVB and UVC. UVB meters havent been recommended for reptiles in 20 years thanks to the advent of the UV Index.
Wouldn't it make more sense to get the actual forecasted UVI for your area 1st so you have something real to reference, then check?

This website https://www.uvindextoday.com gives you by the hour info for your specific local.

For example, at noon today, in IL the peak is only 2.5. By no means cloudy here today either.

Just throwing it out there...

I bought a good one from Amazon, recommended by a breeder, and because I am no longer raising chameleons I can sell it. It’s still like new and it worked great while I used it. I’ll find it this weekend and list it for sale in the classifieds.

Back
Top Bottom