My experience with a solar meter: WARNING

So I recently purchased a Solar Meter and used it for my chameleon cage. I have brand new Arcadia 6% (2 months old) uvb lighting that runs diagonally of Shenron's enclosure. I purchased my fixture and bulb from lllreptile. I was super excited to finally get my solar meter and opened it right away to test it out.

I used it against my arcadia lighting, and to my surprise I wasn't getting a reading. I tried multiple times and spent time googling what was wrong with my solar meter. I wasnt getting any readings at all. So I quickly figured my solar meter wasnt working, I have the best lighting, why wasnt it reading properly?? I contacted the seller and reported the issue and was immediately sent another one.

I received the new one and opened it up and went to my uvb lighting and used it once again.... no reading!!!

I quickly started to think "maybe my lighting is bad??" Keep in mind, this is a brand new fixture and brand new bulb from a top of the line company! I pulled the lighting down and checked for plastic.. nothing. I checked every part of the light.. nothing.

I have extra bulbs that I keep for all my reptile enclosures. So I decided to replace the bulb. I tried the solar meter and got my readings!! I pulled out the "defective" solar meter and again... I had my readings!!

This is just a warning of how important these are for your reptiles!! I had a brand new fixture and had no idea I had a defective bulb. I would not have noticed for who knows how long. I am so thankful I made this purchase and prevented a potentially catastrophic event for my chameleon. If I would've went the whole 9-12 months thinking my uvb was working, who knows how much my chameleons health could have deteriorated.

Crisis averted. 😅😅

I had this happen with a MEGA RAY, couple months old and I got readings of 2 one inch from bulb. Did just like you. It does make you wonder how often chams are sitting under useless lights

(Again, rhetorical) How the heck would a third party seller know if someone abused Amazon's policy? :unsure: (They wouldn't.) More bullying. :mad:
Yes, to be honest I was almost in tears being so frustrated with them. It was one of the worst online shopping experiences I’ve had. But it makes me more conscious of whom I’m actually making a purchase from when on Amazon.

Yes, to be honest I was almost in tears being so frustrated with them. It was one of the worst online shopping experiences I’ve had. But it makes me more conscious of whom I’m actually making a purchase from when on Amazon.
Commiseration & Support!

Missus keeps a 💩list (& database) of Amazon vendors who we won't order from & why.

bad amazon sellers (google search)

I just now (past 5 min.) learned that Amazon has seller forums. IDK if they'd be of any help, but...
https://sellercentral.amazon.com/forums/

Back
Top Bottom