Second-hand solar meter?

Wouldn't it make more sense to get the actual forecasted UVI for your area 1st so you have something real to reference, then check?

This website https://www.uvindextoday.com gives you by the hour info for your specific local.

For example, at noon today, in IL the peak is only 2.5. By no means cloudy here today either.

Just throwing it out there...

Yea im just going my observations to get ANY reading. Im sure here in ohio its around that right now too. I just didnt want them to go "the interwebs say i should be reading a 4 and my meter is only reading a 2, so it must be bad".

Generally the best way is peak summer at noon.

I bought a good one from Amazon, recommended by a breeder, and because I am no longer raising chameleons I can sell it. It’s still like new and it worked great while I used it. I’ll find it this weekend and list it for sale in the classifieds.
How much would you want for it? If I can afford it I'll buy it off of you. I can use paypal to ensure a safe transaction.

If you have other ways we can work out whatever.

Wouldn't it make more sense to get the actual forecasted UVI for your area 1st so you have something real to reference, then check?

This website https://www.uvindextoday.com gives you by the hour info for your specific local.

For example, at noon today, in IL the peak is only 2.5. By no means cloudy here today either.

Just throwing it out there...
Yeah this is exactly how I would test it for assurance that it works/doesn't work and I plan on doing this when I get done work at 12pm today.

Take the "bad" meter outside on a sunny day at noon, it should read 6-7. On a cloudy day it should read 3- 4, again at noon. I mean technically thats a dumbed down way of explaining how solarmeter calibrates their own meters.

Also your other meter you want to buy, is not for reptiles(even if it has lizards on it). Its a UVB meter, odds are with an industrial use sensor in it, and will be very sensitive to deep UVB and UVC. UVB meters havent been recommended for reptiles in 20 years thanks to the advent of the UV Index.
I plan on testing it in daylight today. I get done work at 12pm so I should be home by 12:30pm. Only reason I haven't done this yet is because of the fact that during the week I don't get done until 5pm+ and it's pitch black by then now.

I'll let you know what I find. I started the return process just to get a head start but I still have it. If it seems to work I may keep it.

I already purchased the other one but I guess I'll stop that one since you're saying it definitely won't work for this.

Ok so I'm not sure what to make of this. The current uvb index is low (2) in my area and this thing was instantly giving me readings which is good. However it was saying mostly 6.0 which would be wildly inaccurate in the opposite direction from my bulb readings. It also seems really sensitive from minor angle changes.

Keep in mind the angle in the enclosure is bad simply for the photo. I was moving it all around at different angles and still getting no reading through the screen even after getting readings outside (but wildly inaccurate).

20231111_131024.jpg
20231111_125826.jpg
20231111_125816.jpg
20231111_125811.jpg
20231111_125721.jpg

20231111_125703.jpg

Ok so I'm not sure what to make of this. The current uvb index is low (2) in my area and this thing was instantly giving me readings which is good. However it was saying mostly 6.0 which would be wildly inaccurate in the opposite direction from my bulb readings. It also seems really sensitive from minor angle changes.

Keep in mind the angle in the enclosure is bad simply for the photo. I was moving it all around at different angles and still getting no reading through the screen even after getting readings outside (but wildly inaccurate).

View attachment 346401View attachment 346402View attachment 346403View attachment 346404View attachment 346405
View attachment 346406
I experienced the same thing, bought a new bulb too and checked directly under it no screen, and got 2.0. The angle thing is definitely true as well. When on top of the enclosure and directly under the bulb I was getting .5 to 1

I have a solarmeter in my cart and I’m curious to just compare.

I experienced the same thing, bought a new bulb too and checked directly under it no screen, and got 2.0. The angle thing is definitely true as well. When on top of the enclosure and directly under the bulb I was getting .5 to 1

I have a solarmeter in my cart and I’m curious to just compare.
I'm currently trying to bid on a used one on ebay. If I fail I may just break down and get one on amazon too. I don't want to go much longer without one.

I had bought this one as well and figured it was too good to be true. I was able to get readings but of course I have no idea how to read the readings on the display lol its not a UVB reading from what I can tell. I think it's more of bulb stretch somehow. But I can't find any way to convert that to UVB. So I'm just gonna get a 6.5

20231113_173608.jpg

20231113_173626.jpg
20231113_173643.jpg

UVI to µW/cm² is on average 1:40. So if you are reading 40, you are reading about 1 UVI.

Keep in mind its impossible to do a direct conversion, but 40 to 1 is good enough for city work.

UVI to µW/cm² is on average 1:40. So if you are reading 40, you are reading about 1 UVI.

Keep in mind its impossible to do a direct conversion, but 40 to 1 is good enough for city work.
Thank you! I am sending it back though. The readings were ALL over the place and I'd rather just get a unit I know I can trust and will flat out tell me the UVB index. I tried two different units and neither were really working for me. So hopefully I get this 6.5 unit from ebay lol if not I'll just buy a new one I guess.

Back
Top Bottom