Sansi Grow Lights are on sale for Amazon Prime Day

Another vote for the hydro farm agrobrite. They have individual refectors, and from reading/watching they seem to have high quality ballasts.

I plan to get a 2' 4 bulb agrobrite fixture unless you guys can convince me to DIY an LED system. That seems a little over my head at the moment. The agrobrite is ~$90, add a UVB bulb and plug it in.

I plan to get a 2' 4 bulb agrobrite fixture unless you guys can convince me to DIY an LED system. That seems a little over my head at the moment. The agrobrite is ~$90, add a UVB bulb and plug it in.

Unless you're planning on high light plants like hibiscus, stick with the agrobrite 4 tube. If you think you're gonna want high light plants like hibiscus at some point, drop down to a single or double tube and run led along side that fixture.

Unless you're planning on high light plants like hibiscus, stick with the agrobrite 4 tube. If you think you're gonna want high light plants like hibiscus at some point, drop down to a single or double tube and run led along side that fixture.

Current plan is schefflera alpine jr, golden pothos, calathea freddie, red maranta, creeping fig, nepenthes bill bailey and one unknown bromeliad pup. I think the nepenthes has the highest light requirement but it will be high in the cage and I think/hope it will do well.

Current plan is schefflera alpine jr, golden pothos, calathea freddie, red maranta, creeping fig, nepenthes bill bailey and one unknown bromeliad pup. I think the nepenthes has the highest light requirement but it will be high in the cage and I think/hope it will do well.

Ya if the Nep is high, I think you will be fine.

The only issue with a high up Nep is it will dry out fast, so if you use a dripper drip into the Nep.

That schefflera is harder to keep alive than the hibiscus :p

After all the carnage, the only think i could grow were pothos,Dracaenas, and hibiscus(if rotated out of the cage every few months).

My hat off to everyone who can keep a well planted cage lookin good.

Thanks. I was going to run a dripper off the mist king line for the nep and a separate dripper for the cham.

I wouldn't do a 24/7 drip, using the same dripper will work. You can't plant the CP that terribly high, they do grow quite big.

You could keep moving it down as needed if you setup for that. Most highland Neps (I think yours is highland hybrid) are vining, though so you could wrap it around the wall.

It will take a few years, but Neps get 3,4,5,6 ft tall if you let them. They are pretty large full grown. There is even different types of pitchers.

When you get baby plant, it has its baby pitchers, which will likely represent slightly the understory pitchers. As you go higher the pitchers change in color, size, shape ect. When it reaches 3ft or so, you will start getting the top pitchers.

After all the carnage, the only think i could grow were pothos,Dracaenas, and hibiscus(if rotated out of the cage every few months).

That's interesting you say that. I killed a schefflera arboricola real fast several months ago. I have a large potted amate and the small alpine jr both thriving on my covered patio. We'll see how the alpine jr does in the cage soon.

I wouldn't do a 24/7 drip, using the same dripper will work. You can't plant the CP that terribly high, they do grow quite big.

You could keep moving it down as needed if you setup for that. Most highland Neps (I think yours is highland hybrid) are vining, though so you could wrap it around the wall.

It's a singalana x ventricosa hybrid. Obviously I don't have this all set up yet, but if I mist for 2 min 2x daily and use a 1 gal/hr dripper on the nep, I think it would only get ~8.5 oz of water total per day. And it is potted in sphagnum moss in a well draining pot. I was also going to add a ball valve on the dripper line in case I needed to reduce the flow in that line. Or I could drop to a .5 gal/hr dripper and it would get about 4.5 oz of water per day.

Haven't decided if i will wrap the nep on branches or let it trail down from the pot. In my limited experience with hybrids, once they hang down below the roots they sprout another basal shoot and I would rather have a fuller plant than one long vine trailing through the cage.

Is it a soft or hard leaf brom?

Agreed, I've had to pull my scheffs more then anything else I've used except the two under that Lithonia 4000k led strip. Those two have stayed good so far....knock on wood.

Sorry for being slightly off topic. But @dshuld we need these!

Everybody needs this thing.

I knew it did Par, and Pur, I did not know it also does Lux and Kelvin, this is super useful if you want Puck LEDs.

http://answers.seneye.com/en/Seneye...ht_meter_functions/using_the_reef_light_meter

https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/s...Tl14rad6MWVNXLYUTq2cdH2k7eNiBCFUaAmKjEALw_wcB

So let's all go out and get them! @dshuld you first. :p.

And curse you and you your Xenon! Now I want one gosh darn it! It's Soo sleek, and my rack ideas cages can be so much higher. I just don't want all that extra light :( that's not ramping, and not predictable.

Arcadia needs to make a Deepheat like that! Maybe if I spray paint the bulb black, it will still out out heat hahaha.

How bright are they? Are they very bright? I don't understand how they dump so much heat.

Edit:
Ouch this is concerning. There is apparently concerns with those Xenons and UVC you are not supposed to be removing that glass.

http://www.geckosunlimited.com/community/day-geckos-phelsuma/64630-puck-lights-heat-uvb.html

Edit again:
Okay ya this thing might be dangerous. I like that it sends out Infared, A, B and C, however it also sends out quite a bit of UV A, B, and C. I don't think you should be taking that glass off.

That is the only light I have ever seen generate UVC outside of the UVC specific lights for killing bacteria. That thing is dangerous.

EDIT Again, Again: I lied before "I have ever seen generate UVC outside of the UVC specific lights for killing bacteria", well thats still true except I still havent seen one. Xenon is what they use to make UVC lights, get that glass back on now.

Fun fact, Te glass doesn't block Infared, thats pretty comparable to a deep heat with some additional lighting. However that isnt going to work glassless, so if it doesn't work without the glass its no Buenos.

The Halogens should still work, but not as much infrared to make it worthwhile. You should write the company and see if these generate UVC in their forms. The very last post on the above thread says the halogens are better anyway, they put out more heat.

Attachments

• lightsourcesfigure5 (1).jpg
    lightsourcesfigure5 (1).jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Sorry for being slightly off topic. But @dshuld we need these!

Everybody needs this thing.

I knew it did Par, and Pur, I did not know it also does Lux and Kelvin, this is super useful if you want Puck LEDs.

http://answers.seneye.com/en/Seneye...ht_meter_functions/using_the_reef_light_meter

https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/s...Tl14rad6MWVNXLYUTq2cdH2k7eNiBCFUaAmKjEALw_wcB

So let's all go out and get them! @dshuld you first. :p.

And curse you and you your Xenon! Now I want one gosh darn it! It's Soo sleek, and my rack ideas cages can be so much higher. I just don't want all that extra light :( that's not ramping, and not predictable.

Arcadia needs to make a Deepheat like that! Maybe if I spray paint the bulb black, it will still out out heat hahaha.

How bright are they? Are they very bright? I don't understand how they dump so much heat.

Edit:
Ouch this is concerning. There is apparently concerns with those Xenons and UVC you are not supposed to be removing that glass.

http://www.geckosunlimited.com/community/day-geckos-phelsuma/64630-puck-lights-heat-uvb.html

Edit again:
Okay ya this thing might be dangerous. I like that it sends out Infared, A, B and C, however it also sends out quite a bit of UV A, B, and C. I don't think you should be taking that glass off.

That is the only light I have ever seen generate UVC outside of the UVC specific lights for killing bacteria. That thing is dangerous.

EDIT Again, Again: I lied before "I have ever seen generate UVC outside of the UVC specific lights for killing bacteria", well thats still true except I still havent seen one. Xenon is what they use to make UVC lights, get that glass back on now.

Fun fact, Te glass doesn't block Infared, thats pretty comparable to a deep heat with some additional lighting. However that isnt going to work glassless, so if it doesn't work without the glass its no Buenos.

The Halogens should still work, but not as much infrared to make it worthwhile. You should write the company and see if these generate UVC in their forms. The very last post on the above thread says the halogens are better anyway, they put out more heat.

Xenon arc bulbs are crazy high yes but these aren't arc bulbs. These are incandescent bulbs that have less the 1% xenon (in place of argon/ krypton) to help extend the life of the tungsten filament.

https://www.lightup.com/learn/xenon-vs-halogen.html

donklipstein.com/xeincand.html#h

@dshuld @cyberlocc thanks for this trend. It's been very helpful. I find myself going back through it looking for the types of lights to get. I did end up buying one of these to try on the hibiscus, which is already losing leaves. Comes Friday.
45W Daylight LED Grow Light Bulb, 400W Equivalent Full Spectrum LED Plant Grow Light for Indoor Plants, E26 Plant Grow Bulb for Fruits Succulent Plants Vegetables Grow Walls, Sunlight White UV&IR https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L88B9ZD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ML8lDbNCEH2F9

I also added another 4ft t5 duel 6500k light over my males cages, which had a ficus and money tree, both struggling.

Please let me know if these set ups sound appropriate for the plants.

Thanks again.

@cyberlocc Here's some pics, first are 25w 12v monster brand no gas noted halogens, second are the 20w "xenon" bulb, last is a "vstar" no gas noted halogen that is pretty dang close in appearance to what comes with the "xenon" pucks. If you're worried about the xenon label though, any g8 bulb will work with them as long it's 20w or less at 120v.

20190717_210619_HDR.jpg 20190717_210624_HDR.jpg 20190717_210727_HDR.jpg 20190717_210730_HDR.jpg 20190717_210904-1.jpg Screenshot_2019-07-17-21-24-55.png

@dshuld @cyberlocc thanks for this trend. It's been very helpful. I find myself going back through it looking for the types of lights to get. I did end up buying one of these to try on the hibiscus, which is already losing leaves. Comes Friday.
45W Daylight LED Grow Light Bulb, 400W Equivalent Full Spectrum LED Plant Grow Light for Indoor Plants, E26 Plant Grow Bulb for Fruits Succulent Plants Vegetables Grow Walls, Sunlight White UV&IR https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L88B9ZD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ML8lDbNCEH2F9

I also added another 4ft t5 duel 6500k light over my males cages, which had a ficus and money tree, both struggling.

Please let me know if these set ups sound appropriate for the plants.

Thanks again.

That bulb should help the hibiscus yes, not sure if they are like my pool bulbs with the fans blowing down so check below for heat though. Cyberlocc may be able to answer that question though.

As for the other two, my only ficus benjamin wasn't happy with me and turned into Charley Brown's Christmas tree under quad t5ho with individual style reflector so I pulled it and haven't tried again with them. Haven't tried a money trees yet though....

That bulb should help the hibiscus yes, not sure if they are like my pool bulbs with the fans blowing down so check below for heat though. Cyberlocc may be able to answer that question though.

As for the other two, my only ficus benjamin wasn't happy with me and turned into Charley Brown's Christmas tree under quad t5ho with individual style reflector so I pulled it and haven't tried again with them. Haven't tried a money trees yet though....
Thanks. As usual you're a big help.
I'm ficus isn't a Benjamin but starting to turn into that as well. I may have to just get some LEDs I was just trying to use the lights I had in house.

I have not messed with that one, personally. If it does blow down, like I already told Dshuld to do lol, take it apart and flip it up. @dshuld yours blows down, as in a pool the glass is right in front of it, their likely isnt enough airflow to allow it to intake. You dont have it mounted in a pool, you should flip your fans around, its the exact same heat sink as the JD spot, it can and should be in taking air, its more efficient.

Dshuld, I know I can use Halogens, I am going to. However you should at the very least put the glass black. UVC will kill your chams, over time. it kills cells in humans and chams, kills bacteria and insects almost outright. I wouldn't play with UVC.

Thanks. As usual you're a big help.
I'm ficus isn't a Benjamin but starting to turn into that as well. I may have to just get some LEDs I was just trying to use the lights I had in house.

No problem. The only ficus tree I've ever had luck with was when I was a teenager and it stayed on our front porch shaded by a large evergreen bush. It was probably a Benjamin too though thinking back on it.

Back
Top Bottom