Sansi Grow Lights are on sale for Amazon Prime Day

Yeah, I liked what I saw about the deep heat early on too. But, I'm really liking the xenon pucks I've been messing with. They fit the shallow space requirements, only use 20w and the chams seem to bask like they do with everything else they've had over them. Ik some of the people on ccc use them and I think the co owner of radion posted about using them at one point some where.

Link?? I having been thinking about a Rack, and height is an issue, that would be handy. Give muh linkeyyyy.

I think I see what your talking about. Big heat though? And dimming them?? Not possible?

I want to do some stacked racks. I can do Medium Atrium sizing, well enough, but the room they will have to go in has low ceilings. (7ft on one side, sloped to 6ft on the other, it was a shed, now it's part of the house lol we didn't do it)

So I have to be mindful of height. I want to keep them around 6ft wall, and those would help give more cage height.

Last edited:
@cyberlocc Haha growing pot is pretty much the norm now a days, I have no problems with it. They Need to know their lighting or nothing will grow to its full potential same with the reef guys growing their corals.

I’ve been lurking your posts though and you definitely seem to know your lighting which is really cool haha. I try to understand a lot of what your saying but I’m still lost on most of it haha. I’ll be looking forward to your blog on these veros or cobs you keep talking about, they sound like the bees knees haha. I currently just have 2 JDs and a dual Arcadia fixture on my 24x24x48 enclosure. Im very curious in your diy lights to possibly replace my JDs. I love my JDs but these diy lights sound like they could be even better.
I'm in Denver where it's easy to just walk into a dispensary anywhere to buy pot, so I forget it's not legal like this everywhere (and yeah, I understand it's still illegal on the federal level), it's just so easy and commonplace here now.

All this lighting stuff is confusing! The only thing I have to add to this thread is that I LOVE my Sansi bulbs (15 watt and I also have 30 watt I think), my plants are growing awesome.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Simkar-XLINE...MIs9SJuP234wIVgg4rCh3ggAWGEAQYBSABEgIiDvD_BwE

The white version is usually $9.99 for the 5 pack. Think I bought 8 packs of them.

What the? Is it dimmable or not, is it flo or not? How much heat do these generate?

What voltage are they?? If I can dim them with a TC420 that would be SICK!! I could do those and strips and flos, all off a TC420.

Scratch that. Can't dim them and Stat them :(.

I still prefer the deep heats from a usability standpoint anyway. The room in question and really my whole house, has old school propane heat, so it's not a very reliable heat, it could get quite cold, and sometimes too hot. So the Arcadia still has the night heat benefit, for those just in case nights.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190715-153537.png
    Screenshot_20190715-153537.png
    216.5 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
That’s the current set up I have now minus the led light. My problem is I have a honeysuckle and a hibiscus plant that needs more light

That bulb that cyberlocc posted would be a good "cheap" option since, for the time being anyway, it seems to have more red then my pool bulbs. That being said, I've got pothos, jasmin, hibiscus, umbrella that I've grown under my pool bulbs. The 6500k doesn't have enough red in it for strong blooming of the hibiscus though. But, a pair of 6500k and a 3500k pool bulb over Lola's keeps the hibiscus happy and blooming. They also act as basking bulbs though so be careful lol.

What the? Is it dimmable or not, is it flo or not? How much heat do these generate?

What voltage are they?? If I can dim them with a TC420 that would be SICK!! I could do those and strips and flos, all off a TC420.

Scratch that. Can't dim them and Stat them :(.

I still prefer the deep heats from a usability standpoint anyway. The room in question and really my whole house, has old school propane heat, so it's not a very reliable heat, it could get quite cold, and sometimes too hot. So the Arcadia still has the night heat benefit, for those just in case nights.

120v 20w, def not flourescent lol. I haven't rigged mine up to a dimmer but I'm pretty sure someone in ccc had. I can try to hook one up to a dimmer some time this week to verify though. Forget the base but the bulbs are like these (give or take the pin base). I keep mine ~1" above the cage cause that first inch is a scorcher but they are good down to about 8/ 10" inches or so.

Screenshot_2019-07-15-18-58-11.png

120v 20w, def not flourescent lol. I haven't rigged mine up to a dimmer but I'm pretty sure someone in ccc had. I can try to hook one up to a dimmer some time this week to verify though. Forget the base but the bulbs are like these (give or take the pin base). I keep mine ~1" above the cage cause that first inch is a scorcher but they are good down to about 8/ 10" inches or so.

View attachment 239587

Those would be great for the Nursery Rack I am contemplating. I can get more height out of my cages, with good basking :p. The cages are going to be convertible, so they will only be used above some of the them.

Those would be great for the Nursery Rack I am contemplating. I can get more height out of my cages, with good basking :p. The cages are going to be convertible, so they will only be used above some of the them.

I popped the glass lens out of mine btw. With it in the heat tends to stay up near the "fixture" too much to be usable. With it out it basically becomes a cooler halogen type setup.

That bulb that cyberlocc posted would be a good "cheap" option since, for the time being anyway, it seems to have more red then my pool bulbs. That being said, I've got pothos, jasmin, hibiscus, umbrella that I've grown under my pool bulbs. The 6500k doesn't have enough red in it for strong blooming of the hibiscus though. But, a pair of 6500k and a 3500k pool bulb over Lola's keeps the hibiscus happy and blooming. They also act as basking bulbs though so be careful lol.
I was looking to upgrade anyways because with the third Cham coming I need new lights for him and I thought it was the perfect timing to upgrade. I was going to give my old 48in hood to the new cham and get the new lights for my veileds. This is currently where am at in my decision making
A9CA6DB5-CD04-4C78-A047-1A6CE2EE145B.png
21079B2A-8BC8-4CCE-8958-0C9B2129BD6E.png

There is nothing wrong with that light at all. You could grow a tank, nicely with that.

The problem comes in, when you want ramping or you want high light plants, that will grow under a T5 when it's 3 inches away lol.

Then with the good LED diy builds, there adds a factor of wattage. So electric isn't that much for me, and right now I only have the big Viv and a few smaller setups, but man I can't imagine what you pay in power.

So that you linked is 24ws each at around 2500 lumens, each, so a total of 5k lumens. For those same 50ws I could get you 9000k lumens or pretty close. If you just wanted the 5k, I could get you that with 20ws. And 30ws isn't that much, until how many cages do you have? 10, that's 300ws now. I pay almost 12cents per KW, so that's about 43 cents a day to run that at 12hours. So almost 15 dollars a month.

Let's say your plants need high light though, and you need double that. So now there is 600ws of waste. That's 30 dollars a month. That's 360 dollars a year, and in that year you have changed 40 T5s 1-2 times, that's another couple hundred, that is where LEDs truly shine.
Thanks for taking the time to explain that. So I need to get an additional light, like the one that started this trend to help with the taller cages. Is that right?

I was looking to upgrade anyways because with the third Cham coming I need new lights for him and I thought it was the perfect timing to upgrade. I was going to give my old 48in hood to the new cham and get the new lights for my veileds. This is currently where am at in my decision makingView attachment 239591View attachment 239592

Look for spectralux "blue" version or ge starcoat. I prefer the ge's to the spectralux but do run both. Give me a bit and I'll get you model numbers to look for. Please for the love of all things good skip that oddysea fixture lol

Look for spectralux "blue" version or ge starcoat. I prefer the ge's to the spectralux but do run both. Give me a bit and I'll get you model numbers to look for. Please for the love of all things good skip that oddysea fixture lol
This is why I’m asking b4 I by now why should I skip?

This is why I’m asking b4 I by now why should I skip?

Though it does actually produce some fairly usable par for plants, it's reflector design is horrible. This was posted by Todd some years ago on facebook about lyr/ odyssea fixtures. Basically you're losing 50/60% of your uv in the fixture before its even left lol. The "ballast" is also not very good and prone to failures. You could modify with better ballasts but for what you'd spend you could've gotten a better fixture to begin with :(.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-07-15-19-28-15.png
    Screenshot_2019-07-15-19-28-15.png
    422.1 KB · Views: 104
So I'm having to redo some of my bioactive set ups. This is the hibiscus I have. Will those puck lights with my liner do the job or do I need the light at the start of the trend?
20190715_182134.jpg

I think I got carried away at Walmart with the hibiscus clearance down to $7.50 each.
20190714_113401.jpg

Though it does actually produce some fairly usable par for plants, it's reflector design is horrible. This was posted by Todd some years ago on facebook about lyr/ odyssea fixtures. Basically you're losing 50/60% of your uv in the fixture before its even left lol. The "ballast" is also not very good and prone to failures. You could modify with better ballasts but for what you'd spend you could've gotten a better fixture to begin with :(.
Ok that makes sense with that graphic. Thank you so it’s better to have the uv light in its own hood

So I'm having to redo some of my bioactive set ups. This is the hibiscus I have. Will those puck lights with my liner do the job or do I need the light at the start of the trend?
View attachment 239593

I think I got carried away at Walmart with the hibiscus clearance down to $7.50 each.
View attachment 239595

Looks like you bought them out of hibiscus :ROFLMAO: . The pucks are just for basking though they do give a fair amount of light for what they are. The ones originally posted or the iLed ones cyberlocc posted would be what you want for a cheap plug and play option.

View attachment 239593

View attachment 239595

The Pucks were for heat, not grow lights.

The JDs and Sansis that started this, are great if you need deep par, or high par close up. They will work great for Hibiscus, you just have to remember the 60° beam, so to get good coverage, try to put them like in the center, like on either side of the basking bulb, make a strip of those 3.

Then to eliminate shadowing in the top of you want. You could flank the 3 lights with Flos, 1 in front and 1 in back, you could use 1 UVB and 1 grow. Or both UVB, whatever you like.

Back
Top Bottom