Roaches

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see you decided on roaches..Nice... But why did you pick one of the most difficult to handle!?!:) These guys are super quick and I would almost consider them invasive. I had 2 in a cup once... I opened the cup, and within a second one of those little guys was out of the cup up my arm and on my neck quicker than lighting. I had no idea where he had gone until I felt him on my neck and had to slap him like a mosquito... heeebeeegeebeees.
That was the last time I will ever let any of those into my house.

Dubia are the best roach feeder IMPO... Just my two cents. Oh... Also... for some reason I was unable to get any of chams to eat those two... They had to go to my beardies... who will eat anything.

I see well thanks for sharing that with me can the Dubia climb or "flutter" at all?

I see you decided on roaches..Nice... But why did you pick one of the most difficult to handle!?!:) These guys are super quick and I would almost consider them invasive. I had 2 in a cup once... I opened the cup, and within a second one of those little guys was out of the cup up my arm and on my neck quicker than lighting. I had no idea where he had gone until I felt him on my neck and had to slap him like a mosquito... heeebeeegeebeees.
That was the last time I will ever let any of those into my house.

Dubia are the best roach feeder IMPO... Just my two cents. Oh... Also... for some reason I was unable to get any of chams to eat those two... They had to go to my beardies... who will eat anything.

I should mention that just because my chams didn't touch the Turks doesn't mean yours won't. I have heard that some chams go crazy for the color of them...mine just weren't interested, which surprised me as I have a few that I thought would eat anything.

Before I started a colony of roaches I did a lot of research, and I came to Dubias for a lot of reasons that (and this should answer your question).

~They are meaty little suckers. They gutload well and 1 good sized nymph goes a long way.

~They Breed prolifically. Buy a mixed batch of couple hundred, keep it warm, feed those suckers, and watch them multiply.

~They are slow. The only roach I know of that is slower are Hissers. But with Dubias, I can drop one, and bend over to pick it up before it bolts under something never to be seen again until the worst possible moment. They even like to play dead, so I can hand pick the ones I want and put them in a cup fairly easy. The small nymphs seem to be faster than the adults.

~They cannot fly or climb. The adult males do have wings, and I once have seen them just barely flutter out of a feeding cup to be eaten, but it is rare. I really don't think they pick up and take flight on their own... I think they climb then fall and try to fly. I have never seen one fly in the 10 gal tank I keep them in, but I have a locked screen lid on just in case of a tip of the tank or something disastrous

~They are quiet.

~They don't smell.

~Supposedly their climate is to far off of what we experience here in the states, and would be incredibly hard for them to create a breeding population out of the climate you have created in their tank.

~Lastly, and this is just my opinion. For some reason they are not gross like some species of roaches. I think they are pretty cool little insects, Almost like big "Rollie-Pollies", and I don't mind picking them up, or letting them crawl on my skin.

That is my sales pitch for Dubias! I recommend reading around about all the different species available.

~Joe

Thanks Joe that's a lot of good information i will do some more research on them but thanks for the information it helped a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom