rate my setup! need help!

chameleonman707

been worried about my chameleon lately as i found him asleep on the bottom of the cage this morning and was a very dark color! he is about 3 months old, i gut load his pin head crickets with calcium without d3 every other feeding. i gut load with cal with d3 and herptivite vitamins once every two weeks. im using a zilla slim line uvb bulb. currently not using a basking bulb as the breeder told me i didnt need one till he was older. however i think the temps in my room are a little low for him so i was wondering if this light would be a sufficient basking light. thanks for all the help!!
IMG_1003.jpg
IMG_1004.jpg

thanks for the advice, however ive done alot of research.. and alot of people keep there babies in plastic tubs like this. the breeder told me too keep him in here until he is about 4 months old. my uvb light is in the picture sitting on top of the cage. but thanks i wont use that basking light then.

I put my babies from a hatchling directly into a screen cage.

a plastic tub isn't necessary.

just get a small screen cage.

I also got my 2 very young and immediately went into a mesh cage...best for them...they need the circulation. Unfortunately not all breeders give the best information...some just want to make money :(

I used a basking bulb on my hatchlings.

a very low wattage, just to keep the temps at around 81.

how old is your baby?

I would recommend temps stay between 80 and 83.

When my panther was very young I used a 15 watt regular house bulb and that kept the basking temp 81-83 degrees F. I also have heard people suggesting a tub when they are little because they are not that big. I personally would never do it. You need circulation to allow the enclosure to dry out. Constant exposure to moisture can cause health problems. the cage needs to completely dry out after mistings and drippings. You also need circulation to keep the heat down. baby chams are very sensitive to heat. In a tub the heat can rise very easily. Just be safe and get a screen cage. Also setting lights on the plastic tub is a fire hazard. make sure your setup is safe for you too, not just your cham. Hope this helps a little, feel free to PM me if you need more help.

I have a 3 month old female panther and I keep her in an 18x12x20 screen cage and I think it's perfect for her. I have a 40w basking light on her cage, like others have said just watch the temps. And also he should be able to feed on much larger crickets than pin heads. Mine is eating 1/4-3/8" crickets with ease. I believe you when you say you've done research, but there is just a lot of conflicting information out there. These folks know what they are talking about, I'd listen to there advice and disregard what the breeder told you since it just doesn't seem right.

thanks everyone for your help! i really do appreciate it.. im ordering a screen cage right now.. but my chameleon has been sleeping during the day today anyone know what could be causing this? i know its a bad sign so im really worried as what i should do/change.. thaanks in advance. :/

thanks everyone for your help! i really do appreciate it.. im ordering a screen cage right now.. but my chameleon has been sleeping during the day today anyone know what could be causing this? i know its a bad sign so im really worried as what i should do/change.. thaanks in advance. :/

Try and read sticky posts in each section. FAQ threads are at the top and are helpful.

Fill this out..

https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Male panther chameleon about 3 months old. and has been in my care for about 3 weeks
Handling - just too clean cage. dont actually touch the chameleon though
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? feeding about 15 too 30 pin head crickets.
Supplements - rep cal- calcium with d3 every two weeks -herptivite vitamins-every two weeks -calcium without d3 every other feeding
Watering - mist with a fine warm mist about 3 too five times a day
Fecal Description - mostly brown with pinking orange urates occasionally all white ones. hasnt been tested
History - bought from a breeder on craigslist

Cage Info:
Cage Type - small plastic reptarium
Lighting - zilla slim line uvb bulb on for 12 hours and off for 12. no basking bulb
Temperature - day time temps from 79 too 84 using a dial gauge though so i dont know how accurate it is. and humidity is anywhere from 50 to 70 %
Humidity -misting with warm water
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? no live plants only fake ones
Placement - cage located 3 feet off the ground. on a shelf. medium traffic
Location - northern california

Current Problem - eyes closed during the day but i dont think he is sleeping... found him sleepin on the floor and was a very dark color when his light first turned on in the morning.. also not sure if hes drinking enough water. thank you everyone!

He could be too hot, or doesn't feel safe, or its that crappy zilla bulb.

use a reptisun or reptiglo uvb bulb.

you need calcium without d3 for every feeding.

how often are you misting?

i mist him about 3 too 5 times a day.. ive been moving him a lot i think i may have just been stressing him out because he looks a lot better now.

i had him in my room... then moved him into another room so there wouldnt be as much traffic.. but i just moved him back into my room where he is too stay... so sleeping during the day is usually a sign of over heating?

Back
Top Bottom