rate my setup! need help!

i had him in my room... then moved him into another room so there wouldnt be as much traffic.. but i just moved him back into my room where he is too stay... so sleeping during the day is usually a sign of over heating?
Thats the problem with that bin. It doesnt allow air flow so the whole cage stays warm. You want a basking spot of low 80s and the rest to be 5 to 10 degrees cooler so they can regulate their body temps.

However, moving them is very stressful and my money is on that. I suggest you read the care sheet that got provided and do a lot more research. Pay close attention to detail.

You should definitely fork out the extra few bucks for a digital thermometer and hygrometer. Accuracy in these two readings is VERY important.

Screen cages are not only good for air circulation, the space in them allows them to move to warmer or cooler areas so they can regulate their temperature properly. They need to have temperature options.

Bigger is always better with cages. I put my 3 month old veiled in a fully sized 2x2x4. Some people will not suggest you do this with younger chams, because it can be difficult to find food, but that can easily be tackled by either cup or hand feeding.

Personally, I would disregard your breeder's suggestions. I have gained so much poor advice from people I thought I could trust, like the reptile zoo I bought my cham from, and two of the reptile vets I took him to. There are many people here on these forums who are very experienced keepers, as well as vets, breeders, and even a few biologists. I know for a fact that my chameleon would be dead if it weren't for the help and knowledge of a few of them.

Your best bet is to go with popular consensus. If 10 people are saying get a screened cage, and only one says it's ok to to keep it in a tank, you should go with the screened cage.

good advice... ordering a screen cage today and going out and buying a digital thermometer and humidity gauge.. thanks everyone for the help!

wow tyaeda good thing i got that digital thermometer! i was here worried about temps not being hot and enough and i use this digital one and find my temps are at 91 degrees!! im moving him into a small screen cage tonight so i hope that helps drop the temps as you all have said. anyone have any idea of how i can cool him down until then?!?! thanks in advance!

Yeah that's way too hot for a little guy like that!

What my husband and I have is a heat lamp with a dimmer switch built in. It was like $15 at Petsmart. It allows us to be very precise with the amount of heat it gives off. People without dimmer switches just play around with lower wattages until they get the desired temperature.

If it's not too cold in your house, I would turn the heat lamp off for now. It's pretty important that you get your cham out of that 90 degree environment.
Do you have your new cage yet?

got the screened cage last night its seems a bit big though, its a 19 long 14 wide and 24 tall... my cham is only like 3 inches tops from nose too vent.. so hes still very small... i think hes about three months... im gonna go get some vines/sticks and plants from the local garden store.. any recommendations on how too get the vines and sticks too be secure? the only thing i could think of is glue, but i figure that would be harmful to the cham?! thanks again. really appreciate the help considering the breeder has stopped contacting me...

also wondering.. do crickets as big as pin heads stay on the leaves? or do they all fall to the bottom? in that case should you make is so you cham can get too the floor too feed? or should i switch too cup feeding even though ive been free ranging?

Back
Top Bottom