Rate My Chameleon Enclosure

Thank you so much! Oh my, That’s so much great information. Where can i find these plants? I’m looking and i don’t see any besides shipping and i don’t really wanna do shipping.
I get my plants from Lowe’s, Home Depot, local garden centers and even supermarkets. I’m in Florida, so most plants are available year round. In cooler areas at this time of year you may be limited in what’s available. I’ve ordered plants off Etsy and such and it’s a lot of money for tiny plants...not worth it. Even some florists may have some nice houseplants.
You most likely will need to order your uvb on line as most chain pet stores only carry T8 fixtures. You will want your uvb to be as long as your enclosure is wide, so 24”. https://www.amazon.com/Reptisun-T5-...8&sr=1-1-5e1b2986-06e6-4004-a85e-73bfa3ee44fe or https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...5-6-uvb-bulb-with-hood?variant=39549876109354 I prefer the Arcadia as the bulbs are good for a year vs ReptiSun only good for 6 months.

I get my plants from Lowe’s, Home Depot, local garden centers and even supermarkets. I’m in Florida, so most plants are available year round. In cooler areas at this time of year you may be limited in what’s available. I’ve ordered plants off Etsy and such and it’s a lot of money for tiny plants...not worth it. Even some florists may have some nice houseplants.
You most likely will need to order your uvb on line as most chain pet stores only carry T8 fixtures. You will want your uvb to be as long as your enclosure is wide, so 24”. https://www.amazon.com/Reptisun-T5-...8&sr=1-1-5e1b2986-06e6-4004-a85e-73bfa3ee44fe or https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...5-6-uvb-bulb-with-hood?variant=39549876109354 I prefer the Arcadia as the bulbs are good for a year vs ReptiSun only good for 6 months.
Okay thanks!

Now I want to give you a bit of info about eggs. Whether she ever even sees a male, your little sweetheart will eventually lay (infertile) eggs. This can happen when she’s as young as 6 months or so. First she’ll start by showing all of her pretty colors and patterns and she’ll be restless, constantly moving all thru her enclosure. This is her first receptive period when she is ready to mate. It lasts anywhere from a week to a few weeks. She’ll still have her pretty colors, but after her activity has slowed down, anywhere from a few weeks on she may be ready to lay eggs. We don’t always have signs that she’s ready, so it’s best to get your lay bin prepared and put in her enclosure once she’s started showing her receptive colors. You’ll need a bin that is at least 12” wide and long and will fill it to about 6” with washed play sand. The sand needs to be kept moist enough so that it can hold a tunnel without collapsing. Of course she’ll need at least a couple of stable ways to get in/out of the bin. When she needs it, she’ll find it and use it. Once she starts digging, she’ll need total privacy. I cover just the visible areas with a light sheet that I’ve made little holes in so I can sneak peeks. The whole process takes 1-2 days and you’ll keep your same light schedule. She may sleep in her tunnel at night. When she’s done, she’ll be basking and looking much thinner. You’ll want to feed her very well for 2-3 days and then cut her feedings back to 3-4 feeders 3 days a week (plus occasional treats) and make sure her basking temp doesn’t go over 80. This will help reduce her egg production and laying, which will lengthen her life span.
View attachment 314018
Thanks for all this! But i don’t think we’re gonna breed her to have babies.

Thanks for all this! But i don’t think we’re gonna breed her to have babies.
She will still lay eggs, they just won’t be fertile. Producing and laying eggs does shorten the lives of our ladies, which is why we reduce their basking temps and feeding after they’ve laid their first time. I feed my girls 3-4 feeders 3 days a week and since Feb/Mar of 2020, one of my girls has laid only once and my other hasn’t laid at all. Normally they can lay up to every 3 months or so.

You have gotten so much great feedback and advice already. And since you're open to the advice and starting to make improvements, I can tell you're going to give your chameleon the good life. Please keep us posted and share about the updates you make and we can keep guiding you. It can be a lot but you'll get there! Just keep checking in with us.

You have gotten so much great feedback and advice already. And since you're open to the advice and starting to make improvements, I can tell you're going to give your chameleon the good life. Please keep us posted and share about the updates you make and we can keep guiding you. It can be a lot but you'll get there! Just keep checking in with us.
Thank you so much! I really appreciate you all helping me!

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! Im just really worried because my chameleon has a really light green color. Is it because she’s a juvenile? Is she sick? Is she scared, Because i did get her less than 24 hours ago!
Hi Rover,

The light color could be due to any of those reasons. However, if she were sick, there would likely be other symptoms as well. You can learn about what to look for in the Chameleon Health and other topics in the Resources section.

She probably is scared. 😨 Chameleons rate pretty low on the food chain. Aside from the insects they eat, most everything else in their natural world wants to EAT them, and that's usually how new chameleons view us—as giant predators who want to EAT them! 😋 :eek:

Most reptiles go through what's called 'relocation stress' which usually lasts for 1 to a few days (In some cases it can go longer). You can help her through it by leaving her alone (provide for her needs, but respect her space & privacy) as much as possible during this period—allowing her to get used to her new world (and you ;)). When you are in her vicinity, move slowly...

More foliage for her to hide in can also help attenuate stress.

It’s not required to have real plants and i can’t find any!
With a female veiled, live plants are about as close to 'required' as you can get (along with a lay bin)!
The impaction risk has been mentioned, and I agree.

IME, this is one of the best times of year for getting plants from a garden store; it's the end of the season, so they want to clear out as much as possible for next season. I've gotten the best deals this time of year. Possible sources include:

Home Despot​
Lowes​
Wally-Mart​
Grocery stores​
Garden stores​
Nurseries​
Family (relatives), friends, neighbors​
As others have mentioned, egg laying isn't an option—it's a fact. If she is not set up with a proper lay bin, she could become egg bound.
https://www.petmd.com/reptile/conditions/reproductive/c_rp_dystocia

I’m measuring temps with a thermometer and hygrometer.
I think folks were asking the types of thermometer and hygrometer, i.e. analog/dial vs. digital.

1636081149587.png
vs._____
1636081410021.png

Analog/dial-type meters are notoriously inaccurate and can be as much as 40°/40% off.

Digital meters with probes are usually accurate to within ±2°/2%. They are inexpensive, as are combo. units, such as: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08Y6CYVT9/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Should i get an dripper? Opinions?
Optional, depending on how much and how often you mist, and whether the chameleon uses or ignores it. They're all different.

Mountain Dragon already mentioned the Enclosure Threads (3) at the top of this forum, and
MissSkittles mentioned attaching branches, vines, & plants. Here are some more ideas for branch & plant support. Some require anchoring to the frame—others do not.

Hi Rover,

The light color could be due to any of those reasons. However, if she were sick, there would likely be other symptoms as well. You can learn about what to look for in the Chameleon Health and other topics in the Resources section.

She probably is scared. 😨 Chameleons rate pretty low on the food chain. Aside from the insects they eat, most everything else in their natural world wants to EAT them, and that's usually how new chameleons view us—as giant predators who want to EAT them! 😋 :eek:

Most reptiles go through what's called 'relocation stress' which usually lasts for 1 to a few days (In some cases it can go longer). You can help her through it by leaving her alone (provide for her needs, but respect her space & privacy) as much as possible during this period—allowing her to get used to her new world (and you ;)). When you are in her vicinity, move slowly...

With a female veiled, live plants are about as close to 'required' as you can get (along with a lay bin)!

IME, this is one of the best times of year for getting plants from a garden store; it's the end of the season, so they want to clear out as much as possible for next season. I've gotten the best deals this time of year. Possible sources include:

Home Despot​
Lowes​
Wally-Mart​
Grocery stores​
Garden stores​
Nurseries​
As others have mentioned, egg laying isn't an option—it's a fact. If she is not set up with a proper lay bin, she could become egg bound.

I think folks were asking the types of thermometer and hygrometer, i.e. analog/dial vs. digital.

View attachment 314043vs._____ View attachment 314044

Analog/dial-type meters are notoriously inaccurate and can be as much as 40°/40% off.

Digital meters with probes are usually accurate to within ±2°/2%. They are inexpensive, as are combo. units, such as: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08Y6CYVT9/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Optional, depending on how much and how often you mist, and whether the chameleon uses or ignores it. They're all different.

Mountain Dragon already mentioned the Enclosure Threads (3) at the top of this forum, and
MissSkittles mentioned attaching branches, vines, & plants. Here are some more ideas for branch & plant support. Some require anchoring to the frame—others do not.

+1 what kylde said

Okay! Thank you so much.

Hi Rover,

Home Despot​
Lowes​
Wally-Mart​
Grocery stores​
Garden stores​
Nurseries​

View attachment 314043vs._____ View attachment 314044

Thank you so much for all of this, this made me feel a lot better. Yes I'm almost positive that its relocation stress, She's been home less but almost 48 hours. I don't know if I'm gonna be able to buy the live plants but the UVB I should be able to provide, only reason is I wont be able to get the live plants is because they're so much money! I'm the one who did all this for her, My mom said you can get what you would like as long as its your responsibility.

Okay, Thanks. I just posted something that said I don't think I'm gonna buy her a live plant unless if I can find one for under 60.00$ In my area :)
A golden pothos at Home Depot usually runs for $ 10-15 and u could get a couple till u get some more money 😃

some ways that I do to earn money that may help u are

baking muffins or any baked good and selling them at the park
Raking neighbors leaves
Baby sitting

if your parents let u do chores for money then chores but I know some don’t including mine

Back
Top Bottom