Rate My Chameleon Enclosure

Okay, Thanks. I just posted something that said I don't think I'm gonna buy her a live plant unless if I can find one for under 60.00$ In my area :)

There are gardening groups or neighbors that will give you clippings of their plants for free. But then you have to take care of them so that they grow. Do your parents know of any gardening groups in your area? Or community gardens where you can learn more about plants in general? Sometimes universities with agricultural programs have gardens like that. That said, pothos is pretty common and fairly affordable from big box home improvement stores.

There are gardening groups or neighbors that will give you clippings of their plants for free. But then you have to take care of them so that they grow. Do your parents know of any gardening groups in your area? Or community gardens where you can learn more about plants in general? Sometimes universities with agricultural programs have gardens like that. That said, pothos is pretty common and fairly affordable from big box home improvement stores.
+1

I got into house plants recently not for my chameleon just for me so my dads coworker whose on a lot of house plants Facebook groups asked me for a photo of me she posted it on fb saying I’m 14 and getting into house plants and I got 10 free plants that were already rooted and potted

+1

I got into house plants recently not for my chameleon just for me so my dads coworker whose on a lot of house plants Facebook groups asked me for a photo of me she posted it on fb saying I’m 14 and getting into house plants and I got 10 free plants that were already rooted and potted
YES, THIS!!! Lots of people have plants they’d be willing to give you or will give you clippings. Find a local old lady that’s into plants! They’ll give and teach so much!!!
Definitely look for Pothos and Wandering Jew. Lots of people have Pothos and it can be bought for cheap and Wandering Jew grows outside a lot of places. Both of these plants you can cut off a piece and put it in water and it’ll grow roots.
I just got Wandering Jew from my work yesterday and started propagating, I’ll take a picture when I get home.
Also look for Canna Lilly! Those grow everywhere where I live and they’re lowkey invasive so people will let you dig them up.
All these I listed are chameleon safe but there’s more chameleon safe plants so definitely do some research. And if you’re not sure, just ask!

Thank you so much for all of this, this made me feel a lot better. Yes I'm almost positive that its relocation stress, She's been home less but almost 48 hours. I don't know if I'm gonna be able to buy the live plants but the UVB I should be able to provide, only reason is I wont be able to get the live plants is because they're so much money! I'm the one who did all this for her, My mom said you can get what you would like as long as its your responsibility.
Smart lady. 👩‍🎓 👩‍🏫 Respect.
Yes, it's an expensive money pit hobby. 💰
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/chameleon-jokes.156191/page-9#post-1648765

I don't think I'm gonna buy her a live plant unless if I can find one for under 60.00$ In my area :)
I've never paid more than $15 at any of the big-box stores ($10 at Wallymart), and that was for plants that pretty much fill an enclosure. Here are some tips on big-box plant shopping...

One plant that I bought at a garden store was originally $90, but $30 on clearance, and included 6 extra different dracaenas in the same pot. Today (less than a year) they're all in separate pots, and over 5' tall.

As others have mentioned, cuttings & 'gifts' from family, friends, & neighbors are free. Some may even donate potted plants (Missus just gave away a pile of Spider-babies).

Oh really! Definitely gonna start looking for pothos! I have to save up my money and then tell my mom the research I have done so I can get the pothos, Thank you all so much. I think I'm gonna close this thread on Sunday! If you have any more information after Sunday please feel free to message me on here! I'm on a daily. I will most definitely keep you all updated on the journey with me and my sweet girl rover, Like I said I'm still worried about her colors but since she's a juvenile she could be began shedding soon so that could be a symptom I guess! But I'm thinking about adding substrate! I don't wanna spend any more than 65$ On the substrate, pothos plant, and the little plastic piece for the substrate so it won't go out of the mesh screen! I really appreciate you guys, I'll definitely be looking. Im such a noobie to this chameleon stuff even with plenty of research haha! I'll post pictures of rover later :)

Oh really! Definitely gonna start looking for pothos! I have to save up my money and then tell my mom the research I have done so I can get the pothos, Thank you all so much.
Pothos are great; I have one, but I have some other great plants too. Pothos, Philodendron, and Tradescantia zebrina are all great climbers/vines. Pothos and philodendron are so similar that they're often mistaken for each other.

1636125047807.png

Source: https://www.farmersalmanac.com/pothos-vs-philodendron-132174

I'm thinking about adding substrate! I don't wanna spend any more than 65$ On the substrate,
Unless you're going to go full bioactive, substrate is not advised.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=substrate+site:chameleonforums.com

Before committing yourself to any plants, please read https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/

It not only suggests certain chameleon-safe plants, it also describes how to best use different kinds of plants in your enclosure. Good Stuff! (y)

Once you have an idea of some plants you might like, research their needs—watering, feeding, space requirements, light requirements, etc. For example, a cactus—even one that's chameleon-safe—isn't going to do well in a chameleon habitat. Likewise a 'Full Sun' plant won't thrive in a dark back corner.

This will also help you decide which plants you want, and how to work them into your enclosure.

Didn't know you were going to have to learn some botany, did you? 🤨:LOL:

+1

YES, THIS!!! Lots of people have plants they’d be willing to give you or will give you clippings. Find a local old lady that’s into plants! They’ll give and teach so much!!!
Definitely look for Pothos and Wandering Jew. Lots of people have Pothos and it can be bought for cheap and Wandering Jew grows outside a lot of places. Both of these plants you can cut off a piece and put it in water and it’ll grow roots.
I just got Wandering Jew from my work yesterday and started propagating, I’ll take a picture when I get home.
Also look for Canna Lilly! Those grow everywhere where I live and they’re lowkey invasive so people will let you dig them up.
All these I listed are chameleon safe but there’s more chameleon safe plants so definitely do some research. And if you’re not sure, just ask!
oooh I love wondering jews

the best plant I got was a monstera or a arabica coffee plant

Oh really! Definitely gonna start looking for pothos! I have to save up my money and then tell my mom the research I have done so I can get the pothos, Thank you all so much. I think I'm gonna close this thread on Sunday! If you have any more information after Sunday please feel free to message me on here! I'm on a daily. I will most definitely keep you all updated on the journey with me and my sweet girl rover, Like I said I'm still worried about her colors but since she's a juvenile she could be began shedding soon so that could be a symptom I guess! But I'm thinking about adding substrate! I don't wanna spend any more than 65$ On the substrate, pothos plant, and the little plastic piece for the substrate so it won't go out of the mesh screen! I really appreciate you guys, I'll definitely be looking. Im such a noobie to this chameleon stuff even with plenty of research haha! I'll post pictures of rover later :)
No offense but In this hobby you have to be prepared to use more than 65$ on a lot of stuff yes you can find deals and loop holes but a correctly set cage is going to cost alot

No offense but In this hobby you have to be prepared to use more than 65$ on a lot of stuff yes you can find deals and loop holes but a correctly set cage is going to cost alot
Hey I spent $200 on my enclosure to begin with and since then I ain’t spent over $20.00 at once for him :D with the exception of a vet trip which hadn’t happened yet.

Last edited:
If it's bitter, you're not doing it right. :coffee:
I agree. Coffee is very nice.
@Mountain Dragon I like Death Wish Coffee Company, it’s good by itself black and with embellishments. It’s all about finding a good coffee company you like, a brewing method you like, and adding in the right things to meet your taste. :)

I make this:

THE CRYPT-KICKER
Cup of D.W. Coffee
3 Shots Bourbon Flavored Syrup
2 Shots Vanilla Syrup
Alcohol Free Bailey’s
Whipped Creme
Caramel Drizzle

Hey I spent $200 on my enclosure to begin with and since then I ain’t spent over $20.00 at once for him :D with the exception of a vet trip which hadn’t happened yet.
Yea but 200 is way more than 65 and that’s after u established what you need from learning from mistakes lol 😂 in general it’s an expensive hobby and plus bugs adds up unless u breed but it still adds up

I think I’ve spent 350 not including bugs

@Casket_Case You changed your name! Y’all keep changing your names, it’s going to be hard to know who’s who. Wish I had known it was possible long ago, but now I’m stuck with my name. 🤷‍♀️
Yep! First name change. It matches my username on Reef2Reef now :)
I LOVE ur name!
Thank you!!! I love it! I was listening to Green Day and I realized casket rhymes with basket lol.
Casket_Case? Why not Burial_Vault?
Because it’s supposed to be like Basket Case, cause I’m wild :p and I’m also in the death industry so it’s funny lol. And I know what a burial vault is lmbooo I deal with them about every day.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom