puffy eyes and no pooing - tinned pears?

carlosandcat

Hi

I have 2 chams a boy (6 months old) and a girl (4 1/2 months)

the girl is fine, full of beans and eating and the male is quite ill. Last saturday we noticed he was closing his left eye a lot so we got a same day appointment with an exotic vet, about 1/2 hrs drive away. She has seen my snakes and beardie before so she knows what she is doing. As expected without using full sight he had stopped feeding (triangulation and all that), so she gave us critical care formula (1 scoop to 3, in .2 ml doses 3 x a day) and antibiotoc eye ointment and fake tears (optrex for animals). I have been religiously allocating this too him everyday. He is starting to get so weak though he doesnt even try and run off when i pick him up for feeding.

Asides form the stress this is casuing (and he doesnt seem to be recovering as now both his eyes are closed) he still hasnt pooed, its about 2 weeks. I read somewhere, possibly here, that tinned pears are good to loosen things. Is this a good idea. Any thoughts on naything as to how to perk him up. Any q's gratefully answered.

thanks

Are you keeping them together? You need to find out why he's keeping his eyes closed and fix that problem so he can see to eat. Where do you live?

yes, they live together.

We read up on them and got mixed info. But both the vet and pet store (very reputable reptile store) said it was ok.

The vet seems to think its an infection, she said she saw a small bit of white in his eye, so just administering the antibiotic drops as prescribed. He opens them every now and them, but i think its out of necessity.)

Can i give him pears to make help him poo?

We live in northamptonshire

You should always separate a sick chameleon from a healthy chameleon. Even if you think she is not causing him stress what if the illness spreads to her via being in the same enclosure. What type of chameleons do you have?? I'm going through a tough recovery with my Fischeri who has a serious eye problem. Today i made up a batch of bug juice and "manually fed" him the juice along with his meds. What is the formula your vet prescribed comprised of?? My bug juice was made by smushing up 5 small crickets and 3 wax worms into a bit of egg yolk and I also added a bit of pedialyte. Ensure plus is also recommended but I was unable to obtain it at the grocery store that i went to. Good luck keep us posted. I'm not sure about the pears, maybe an expert will pop in and give you some more advice.

Oat

You should always separate a sick chameleon from a healthy chameleon. Even if you think she is not causing him stress what if the illness spreads to her via being in the same enclosure. What type of chameleons do you have?? I'm going through a tough recovery with my Fischeri who has a serious eye problem. Today i made up a batch of bug juice and "manually fed" him the juice along with his meds. What is the formula your vet prescribed comprised of?? My bug juice was made by smushing up 5 small crickets and 3 wax worms into a bit of egg yolk and I also added a bit of pedialyte. Ensure plus is also recommended but I was unable to obtain it at the grocery store that i went to. Good luck keep us posted. I'm not sure about the pears, maybe an expert will pop in and give you some more advice.

Oat

Chams should not be housed together well or sick.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/sad-tale-2-chameleons-14453/

its so annoying that you never get told these things definatively. I woudl never house animals together that wouldnt like it. But i usualy get a male and female as it keeps most species happy. Will ahve to have a look out (and quick, for a new viv, that doesnt bust my credit card.

Re the not pooing, been feeding him formula for 5 days now - shouldn't he be pooing this out?

Need much more information to be able to help you. Please fill out 'how to ask for help' questions as fully as possible, and explain his health backslide recently in 'comments' section, please give notes on feeding, drinking, defecation etc.
Folk here will do their best to help you and your lizard but you must be more specific with all details. :)

thanks for the links - the cham care is very good and very thorough. Much apprecaited. I think our care of them pretty much hits the spot on all of them, apart form having a drip feeder, we were thinking of rigging a melting ice cube though, apparently thats quite well received by chams.

I wish Carlos would get better. I just dont know what else to do for him

Here you go.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

Need much more information to be able to help you. Please fill out 'how to ask for help' questions as fully as possible, and explain his health backslide recently in 'comments' section, please give notes on feeding, drinking, defecation etc.
Folk here will do their best to help you and your lizard but you must be more specific with all details. :)

ok - found it, thanks. Here you go:

Cage Info: 1m x 1m x 1.5m

Cage Type - 3 sides of wood (plus bottom and top), the back having 18 small circular vents for circulation. Front screen two sheets of sliding glass.
Lighting - 1 uv strip light at the top at the back, not too close the perches, and one basking reflector bulb, unsure of wattage, recommended by store.

Temperature - Basking spot, arund 80 - 90, depending on room temps and cool area of around 65 - 70. All the lighitng is kept at the top of the viv.

Humidity - I dont know the humidity levels as i dont have a wau to measure this, but I mist the tank 3 times a day for 30 secs to a minute each time, using, bottled water, as uk tap water sometimes has high amounts of flouride and chlorine. Since Carlos' illness have upped this to 5 times.

Plants - No live plants all synthetic was thiking about getting one though. Someone mentioned african violets?

Placement - The tank is on the floor and its top is level wiht my hip ( I am 5' 9''). It is in a secluded insiet in the lounge. The environment is pretty quiet, with no nearby seats and the tv is quite far away. But i do sit in front of the viv and watch them a lot.

Location - Northamptonshire, uk

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - male, carlos. Veiled cham, 6 months old, 2 months in my care.
Handling - Previously, once a week for 5 - 10 mins, but now 3 times a day to feed and medicate. \He seems to be adjusting to this a bit, but i think part of that is exhaustion.
Feeding - He had a staple of crickets, butalso we fed locusts, mealworms and wax worms as treats. We gut load them wiht lettuce, peppers, tomatoes and cucumber. As there are two in the tank, we used to put in about 15 crickets and they would both clean up within a matter of a few hours. Now he cant see, he doesnt eat, i dont think he's getting enough fibre.

Supplements - We dust the crickets at every feeding with nutrbol, recommended by the vet and rep store.

Watering - We mist as mentioned above. 3 times a day for 30 secs to 1 minute but now we up t to 5 times a day, waiting for the viv to dry in between sprays.

Fecal Description - He has totally stopped pooing. Originally, it was brown and firm with some watery white/yellow stuff. Hers is still this way, but he isnt pooing at all. I might be paranoid, but it looks like he has a tiny bump under his tail, which could be stored poop?

History - Been totally healthy, active, moving around. Sunbathing, stuffing his face, pooing and genreally mooching in a happy, contented mannor.

Current Problem - Literally about 14 days ago he starting to sleep more, then 13 days ago, he moved around less and i didnt notice him eat so much. Then 7 days ago, we noticed one of his eyes were closed every now and then. Same day we took him to the vets and you know the rest. Have been Feeding him Vetark critical care formula, (CCF) its a high energy and protein powder which can be mixed with water and given by direct administration off a spoon or via a gavage tube. This is designed for support of animals which are not feeding properly (or at all).

Since administering the meds and ccf (saturday night onward) His other eye started closing so we put antibiotic in that eye too. Tried force feeding him a meal worm and he was sick on me, so wont do that again. Wondering if i should blend up some insects, as well as, or instead of ccf. Might hlp him poo?

Phew, anything else you need to know dont hesitate. Cant sleep too worried.

First, you dont mention UV lighting ???
What brand/strength/type is the strip light? If this uv, how long have you been using it?
When did your lizard last drink?
You could install a store-bought or homemade dripper. You will need to arrange drainage or collection however. Live plants will assist with humidity also.
When did your lizard last produce poo?
When did your lizard last eat insects on its own?
How are you measuring the temp under the basking light?
You can buy an electronic Humidity Gauge from your local electronics shop.
I would cease feeding the powder formula for now until you are sure its well hydrated. Are its eyes sunken? skin wrinkled?
If you can take some photos this will help.
I think folk tend to jump to treatments (ointment/drops) too soon with chameleons eyes as soon as they close them. Its important to find the underlying cause of its distress, before applying drops as a 'cure all'. We need to eliminate other causes
of the eye issue first. Though you say 'strip lighting', lighting is often the first reason these animals close their eyes, and because they are closing them they cant hunt so cease feeding.
Your chameleon wont starve to death that quickly but it does need ample water (actually ingested not just mist in the air/on it. They cant soak up moisture like dry paper. A dripper and observation is the best way to ensure its actually drinking.
Hydration is major, without enough fluid in its system, it cant digest well and will lead to a mirad of other much more serious problems such as kidney failure eventually.

Last edited:
yeah, its the first line on my lighting info. Have a UV strip light:

Arcadia D3+ Reptile Lamp 12% 25W, 30in. (LAD230)

The basking light is Exo-Terra SunGlo Basking Spot 100W (LHD100)

I have a thermometer under the basking spot and also in the cooler area.

THe last time i saw him eat on his own, must be about 2 weeks ago.

The last time he pooped is difficult to gauge as he lives with a female who poos, but i would guestimate about 14 days also

Last edited:
re water, when i give him the care formula. As he opens his mouth, i also, use a syringe to let droplets of water fall into his mouth as he wasnt drinking either.
Should i get him a new viv, separate from his mate?

Or should i whizz up some crickets and meal worms in the blender and spoon feed him?

OK, both your strip and basking bulb output UV (according to the sunglo spcs), your strip one is already 12%. The combination may be too strong. This could be the leading cause of the eye issue and indirectly the cessation of feeding.
A reptisun 5 tube is quite sufficient. If you keep the strip light, change the sunglo to a normal household bulb of same wattage (if your temp gradient is good).
Check the striplight is not blackening at the ends (indicator of age), how old is the tube?
How close to the striplight are perches/branches? Keep them no closer than about 8 inches. (you may need to raise up the strip or lower perches?
INstall a dripper, as soon as possible. (arrange drainage or safe (mesh covered) collection )
Stop with the drops and the formula after doing the lighting. Give the lizard a rest from stress. Offer really well gutloaded* soft foods like hornworms, caterpillars, whatever you can get there. Green bugs are highly attractive to these lizards too.

* Lettuce holds virtually no nutritious content. Use darker greens like asian veg, collard greens etc and fruit like mango, melon, whatever for moisture content. This ensures the insects are both nutritious and moist. Chams gain alot of moisture from insects they eat, which offsets the scarcity of water in the wild.

See how it goes after that. best wishes :)

P.S housing your female seperatly is best for both animals. Its also best for you since you can tell who's pooping/eating and how much.
You will find seperate housing the best long term option.

The vivarium in all its glory

Attachments

• DSC_0002.JPG
    DSC_0002.JPG
    202 KB · Views: 172
Back
Top Bottom