crusty eyes/closing eye

plzhelp

i have a 2 year old panther chameleon who around a month ago started closing one eye, sometimes it was the left sometimes it was the right so i did some research and figured it was vitamin a deficiency. which would have made sense because i wasn’t giving multivitamin or gutloading feeders so it would make sense if he was low on vitamins, i was just giving calcium with d3 twice a month and every other feeding without d3. so on the 13th i gave supplemented 5 feeders with repashy calcium plus lod and 2 days ago another 5 feeders but he still closes his eye and still has some eye boogers does anyone know what i could do to help him? sometimes i loosen the cap on a water bottle and drip tiny drops in his eye and that helps him get it out even though he doesn’t like it. he has a t5ho 5.0 bulb and a 100w uv bulb (like 10-12 inches away from stick).

Hi. It will take time for the eyes to improve and fully recover if it is a vitamin deficiency. You should be giving a phosphorus free calcium without D3 at every feeding and then you’ll use the Repashy calcium plus LoD for one feeding every two weeks. It contains D3 so you need to stop using that separate one or you’ll overdose him. It may be tempting to speed things up and give him extra multivitamins, but I caution against that. Both vitamin D3 and vitamin A are fat soluble and can easily build up to toxic levels in the body. I would leave that up to a good vet to do. I would stop dripping water in his eye and instead make sure you are misting at least twice a day for 2 full minutes to give him time to clean his eyes. When I got my panther he had a similar issue. It took about a month or so to have a decent improvement and about 4-6 months for the eye to fully return to normal.

Hi. It will take time for the eyes to improve and fully recover if it is a vitamin deficiency. You should be giving a phosphorus free calcium without D3 at every feeding and then you’ll use the Repashy calcium plus LoD for one feeding every two weeks. It contains D3 so you need to stop using that separate one or you’ll overdose him. It may be tempting to speed things up and give him extra multivitamins, but I caution against that. Both vitamin D3 and vitamin A are fat soluble and can easily build up to toxic levels in the body. I would leave that up to a good vet to do. I would stop dripping water in his eye and instead make sure you are misting at least twice a day for 2 full minutes to give him time to clean his eyes. When I got my panther he had a similar issue. It took about a month or so to have a decent improvement and about 4-6 months for the eye to fully return to normal.
thank you that helps a lot, and are you saying it took 4-6 months for him to stop closing an eye?

thank you that helps a lot, and are you saying it took 4-6 months for him to stop closing an eye?
It took about a month for the crusties to go away and for him to keep his eye open. I would find him with that eye closed every now and then though for 4-6 months.

IMG_5509.jpeg

It took about a month for the crusties to go away and for him to keep his eye open. I would find him with that eye closed every now and then though for 4-6 months.
i just noticed this little bump on his inner eye😬

I’m not really seeing any terribly concerning bumps with his eye. Giving a longer misting will help if he has a small piece of grit stuck.
you can kinda see it better in these do you think it could just be some of the discharge stuck and will work it’s way out with heavy misting sessions

Attachments

• IMG_5510.jpeg
    IMG_5510.jpeg
    121.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5511.jpeg
    IMG_5511.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 51
Back
Top Bottom