puffy eyes and no pooing - tinned pears?

pictures.

They have lived in this viv like this since i got them.

FYI - carlos and catalina live together, but never show nay animosity and have on occasion shared a branch and napped.

Attachments

• DSC_0010.JPG
    DSC_0010.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 236
  • DSC_0013.JPG
    DSC_0013.JPG
    223.4 KB · Views: 143
  • DSC_0002_02.JPG
    DSC_0002_02.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 153
Some real plants in pots will wonders for humidity, along with a dripper system. You may have to drill a hole in the roof for the dripper tube.
Bare in mind you;ll need to catch the water or allow it to drain somehow.
The substrate matrial on the floor is not nessesry and may be accidently eaten by your lizard while zapping insects. No substrate wil be much easier to clean, find poo etc.
There is some concern with the interior lighting, despite the cage, but you might get away with it, try to keep branches away from the cage so it cant climb on the cage floor and get burnt.

Priorities: Dripper/substrate & lighting check. Another cage for the other when you can.
Your male should improve.
Best wishes. :)

Is it possible that your chameleon ate some of the substrate and that is why he's not pooping? What is the substrate? Its usually recommended that substrate not be used because many of them can cause impaction. If its cedar or pine it could be contributing to your chameleon's problems.

thanks so much for all your help everybody.

Unfortunately, Carlos has taken a turn for the worse in the night.

He was sick this morning, then did a gina t poo, for the first time in week. It was very runny, whitey/yellowy and gloopy.

Now he is collapsed on a branch, holding on with one leg. He takes a giant breath every now and then, and raises his head upwards and opens his mouth.

I have made another emergancy appointment at the vets, but the earliest they can get me in, is 3pm this avo and I'm not sure if he will make it.

I really appreciate everyones help

Will keep you posted

Eve

Oh no,sorry to hear he is not improving,sending positive thoughts your way and hoping your fellow holds on

hi all,

just got back form the vets, they were very worried about him and have hospitalised him, and are going to put him on a drip. I will know if he made it through the night when they call me tomorrow. If he does then they are going to do further investigation.
:(

update

the vets kept him in and rang this morning to say he looks a little better.

I bought a ficus and a pothos ivy for humidity.

We are changing the basking bulb to 50w today from 100

and setting up a dripper system wiht an icecube suspended from the ceiling of the tank, so hopefully the same doent happen tot he female

have also put a nesting box in for when she gets sexually mature. the vet recommended getting her spay - any thought on that?

thanks again

Ice is not recomended. They like warm water. Normally they do not make it through beening spayed.

Hey I just emptied out a cage I had, its 18x24x30, big enough for a female. If you want it I'll take 30 bucks for it + shipping. You probably won't find much better of a deal. Just send me a PM if you're interested.

Sorry if saying that outside the sales forums is not allowed.

To make a dripper I just take a plastic cup or bowl and put a couple very tiny holes in the bottom......so that it will drip very slow.....fill it with warm water a couple times a day and let it drip over a vine or leaves that they can drink from.

To make a dripper I just take a plastic cup or bowl and put a couple very tiny holes in the bottom......so that it will drip very slow.....fill it with warm water a couple times a day and let it drip over a vine or leaves that they can drink from.

genius idea.I shall do that, great!

just spoke to the vet. Carlos is still being injected to rehydrate him, and feeding him carnivore critical care formula but he's just not opening his eyes, so they cant diagnose properly.

He has started gripping onto the branch now, rather then just collapsing on it, but i worried this is a temporary improvement, as he is sort of on 'life support' in a way and once the injections stop, he my start to go downhill, as the source has not been dignosed.

The vet is ringing me later, to go over my options with him.

I am starting to think the eye closing isnt an infection as he was given antibiotic eye treatment for a week and instead of getting better the other eye closed. It must be another problem?

If it was environmental, then he would have picked up staright away staying at the vets. Perhaps impaction, or metabolic (though i dont know why crikets always dusted, the right uv bulb etc)

the vet said, they dont know whats wrong wiht him as he is too small to take blood from, they asked if i want to take him home and care for him. I dont know what to do for the best

I am starting to think the eye closing isnt an infection as he was given antibiotic eye treatment for a week and instead of getting better the other eye closed. It must be another problem?

If it was environmental, then he would have picked up staright away staying at the vets. Perhaps impaction, or metabolic (though i dont know why crikets always dusted, the right uv bulb etc)

I'm very sorry to hear about your little guy.

I wouldn't be so quick to rule out infection: often, in reptiles, infections can last a long time and can be slow to respond to antibiotic treatments. In my experiences, with confirmed infections, treatment lasted two or more weeks before I saw any changes in most cases.

At this point I would recommend a different vet to get a different opinion, but I know that's often not possible.

hi all,

the vet rang yesterday and asked if we wanted to ask carlos home. I said to keep him in till monday as he was getting injections for hydration and nursing care.

Today she called me and said he opened one of his eyes a little bit for a while, woo hoo!

Not out of the woods yet, but i pick him up tomorrow and will continue the antibiotics and the drip feeding. and will have to syringe him water as he is too small for me to give him injections.

Will keep you all posted

e x

ps - have plants, have changed lamp, the average basking heat is 92 is this ok?

I went to see the vet today and they have changed their minds and want to keep him in as he has started to go brown. I am a bit concerned about the tank they have him in, its very basic, with a curly branch in the middle, no leaves, and a lasagne box for him to hide in (which as far as i'm aware is not what chameleons use - thats more snakes and beardies)

They have basically given us the choice of keeping him and continuing treatment - antibiotics and hydration injections, or a cloaricle wash (to get a poo sample) and sending him home. Or putting him to sleep.

i dont know what's for the best. He's been ill two weeks now, should i take him home to his tank to die in peace and familiar surroundings hoping it will pep him up or should We put him out of his suffering?

Back
Top Bottom