Proud New Panther Owner! (Also some advice?)

KatelynnRawwwr

Hi everyone!

I just picked up my new baby boy yesterday! He's a 3.5 month old Ambilobe Panther, and already just sweet as pie. He loves coming out (always reaches for me if I stick my hand in there) and is so curious. :) His name is Darwin (yes, named after a personal hero of mine, Charles Darwin <3). He's already got some beautiful blues and reds coming in (the pictures don't even do him justice!), so I'm very excited to see how he turns out.

Just wanted to share him with you all because I'm absolutely IN LOVE! :D :D :D

Also, I wanted to get some advice from you experts out there. It seems one of his eyes is bothering him. It's noticeably smaller than the other one and he was bulging it and keeping it shut most of the day yesterday. He was doing this pretty much immediately and before getting transferred to his new habitat, so it can't be from the setup I have him in. I've been frantically searching these forums and am prematurely concluding it's from shedding (he just recently shed, he still has a couple patches of skin flakes on him).

Just in case, I picked up a baby-safe, pure saline solution and gave him a little eye wash to see if that would help. It seems much better today as he's stopped keeping it closed, but it's still smaller than the other eye and he's still bulging it frequently. Does it sound like he's okay? Am I worrying too soon? (His "bad" eye is actually the one you see in the pictures; as you can see it's open, which is a step up from yesterday, but I just wanted to be sure.) Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• 12096212_923101347780359_2576471254205206361_n.jpg
    12096212_923101347780359_2576471254205206361_n.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 184
  • 12144960_923101641113663_7961780241071973106_n.jpg
    12144960_923101641113663_7961780241071973106_n.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 189
Congrats on your new little guy! I hope his eye is ok! Can you post a few pictures with both eyes and one of the "good" eye?

I'm sure someone here will give you some good advice!

Can't wait to see more of him as he gets older!

Pictures

Here are some pictures. Is it normal for one eye to be that sunken? Should this be a cause for concern?

Attachments

• IMG_0281.jpg
    IMG_0281.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0283.jpg
    IMG_0283.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_0288.jpg
    IMG_0288.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 169
Hmm, I'm not an expert but I do know these guys are prone to eye issues. I think you should repost this question in a new thread with a new title like "new cham's eyes different sizes" normally someone would have helped you by now with a question like that.. I don't think any of the senior members have seen your questions or these pictures yet, but post a "help" thread and someone will give you suggestions.

What uv lights are you using?

Also try giving him a shower. Put his plant in the bath tub, turn the water on and point the shower head at the wall so it is a softer mist when it hits him. He'll drink, and if there is something in his eye he'll try to get it out.

Chase

Thank you Maki, I've posted a new thread.

Chase - he's under a ReptiSun 5.0. But I picked him up locally and noticed the problem while I was in the car before I even got him home. :( I'm going to try the shower when I get home this afternoon and am looking for a herp vet as we speak just in case..

Thank you Maki, I've posted a new thread.

Chase - he's under a ReptiSun 5.0. But I picked him up locally and noticed the problem while I was in the car before I even got him home. :( I'm going to try the shower when I get home this afternoon and am looking for a herp vet as we speak just in case..

Where are you located?

And is it a linear bulb or a curled bulb that screws in like a normal light bulb?

Chase

I'm in Oregon. And it's a tube light.

I took him to the vet yesterday, but unfortunately didn't get very many answers. She took a look at it and didn't see any scratches or anything, but he's not opening it all the way so we can't tell for sure. She sent us home with some ointment to try, applied twice a day for the next week to see if that helps at all. I'm just so scared for him. :(

I would find out what supplements the breeder was using and what they gutloaded the feeders with so you can rule out a Vitamin A issue.

I hope the ointment works though :)

Chase

Back
Top Bottom