power out

they will be fine without light for a couple of days, heat is life saving. if you are inside the house and bundled up put the chameleons inside close to your skin to warm up. Another option in to start your car and spent time in the car with them. DO NOT start the car in a closed garage. Let us know how it is going.

The temp is 60. Is that to cold? My veil was on the ground just sitting there and the rather is just hanging out up top

I did see the power companies out working on it.. it was a tree that fell across the lines so I'm sure it will be fixed soon.

Your veiled will be fine at 60, do you just have a veiled? Glad your power isn't knocked out for days like we get up here in the middle of no where. I have a generator just to make sue I never have cold chams.

Great to hear it came back on! This happened to us last year for 3 full days in freezing weather. We had to put all the chams in little pillow case like bags and keep them at a safe distance from a space heater at another house.

Not to hijack your thread, but does anyone living in places where this can happen own or had to use a generator? I'm considering getting one this year.

We dont have many winter ice storms down here in Houston. We get the hurricanes and I lost my power during and afer hurrican Ike for 16 days. I didnt have my chams at that time but I did have 2 english bullies that cant take the heat. Its a stressful uncomfortable situation to be put in. I can recommend the Honda brand of generators to anyone looking. They are quiet and burn alot less fuel than the cheaper models. The best option is getting a natural gas generator hooked up to your gas line that will automatically switch over in the case of an outage. But those are several grand.;)

Every one should just switch to montane chams, then all you will have to worry about is major heat... in which case I have thrown mine in a cooler with ice before during the hurricanes in fl.

Thats great for chams but try doing that with a 125 gal salt water tank.:eek:
I lost about 500.00 worth of fish 10 yrs ago due to a 3 day ice storm. Covered the tank with a thick blanket and saved about 1/2 my stock but I lost several corals and some fish I could never replace. :(

People when these things hit its too late. Be prepared beforehand and have a plan in place. Generators will not be avail after the storm hits. ;)

Great to hear it came back on! This happened to us last year for 3 full days in freezing weather. We had to put all the chams in little pillow case like bags and keep them at a safe distance from a space heater at another house.

Not to hijack your thread, but does anyone living in places where this can happen own or had to use a generator? I'm considering getting one this year.

I had the same problem last year. I did end up getting a small generator. It's invaluable for the times the power goes out in the winter and summer. It's set up so the lights in the chameleon cages, snake tanks, and my poison dart frog tank can be turned on/off. Purchasing one at first can hurt a bit, but the first time I needed it the piece of mind was great.

The one thing I did have to do when using the generator was to adjust the mistings. It may not always be the case, but I noticed the cages didn't dry out in between mistings and the ambient temps stayed down a bit more than I would have liked.

I'd be heartbroken in the power went out and one of my reptiles died or got very sick because of it. The generator was one of the best things I got for them.

Just in case anyone wants to go the route I did I bought a inverter from QVC it was a car jumper/air compressor/inverter its only $80 and I was able to run my chameleons heaters for 2 days before it finally lost all its juice. Just an idea for anyone that wants one I just hate when we lose power and this was a great price for what it is.

Back
Top Bottom