Reptisun 10.0

Enjera

Good morning everyone or should I say anyone out here lol.
I’ve just recently bout a 22 inch 24 watts 10.0 uvb T5 HO reptisun and I was wondering if it’s too much for a 6 month old veiled chameleon…
I don’t wanna burn him or hurt him in any way…..what’s a good required distance for such a powerful bulb…any advice or tips and tricks are more than welcomed and thank you

What type of cage is it on top of? Does the chameleon still screen climb the top of the cage?

What type of cage is it on top of? Does the chameleon still screen climb the top of the cage?
Beman how are you….glad to hear from you…i haven’t hooked it up yet I have my old one still it’s good tho probably has another 4 months of life but I just wanna get all the safety tips I can before I switch it….its on top of an XL reptibreeze and honestly no he’s 6 months and he usually likes to walk on the side hardly on top…..here’s a picture to show how far it is from his basking spots

Attachments

• IMG_2742.jpeg
    IMG_2742.jpeg
    200.9 KB · Views: 25
Beman how are you….glad to hear from you…i haven’t hooked it up yet I have my old one still it’s good tho probably has another 4 months of life but I just wanna get all the safety tips I can before I switch it….its on top of an XL reptibreeze and honestly no he’s 6 months and he usually likes to walk on the side hardly on top
I am well thank you. And what are you using now? Can you post a pic of the current set up with the lights on top?

I am well thank you. And what are you using now? Can you post a pic of the current set up with the lights on top?
I did brother….i had to edit my previous message….i showed using a measuring tape as well to show how far from the top

So with a 5.0 or 6% UVB bulb in a T5HO fixture sitting directly on top you want a full 8-9 inches from the bottom of the fixture to the closest branches to put the cham in a 3 UVI level. Right now yours is sitting a little too close at 6 inches. You would need to raise the fixture 2-3 inches off the top of the screen top to put him in the right UVI level.

With a 10.0 or 12% UVB bulb in a T5HO fixture sitting directly on top you want a full 11-12 inches from the bottom of the fixture to the closest branches to put the cham in a 3 UVI level. This is why a lot of us do not use this bulb strength because because you have to lift the fixture up off the top of the cage to accommodate the distance needed to put them in the correct UVI. So with your distance of 6 inches from screen to branch you would need to raise the fixture 5-6 inches off the top of the screen top to put him in the right UVI level.

Note I would be very cautious with how close he can get the the heat bulb. As they mature the cask can suffer thermal burns because it is so much higher than the body. Yours is already sitting quite close so this would be a higher risk for you as he matures.

Beman thank you brother…..I feel as if I have an idea of what to do and yes I understand his casque will grow and biggg and I feel perhaps the best thing to do now is reorganize his home and reorganize the branches to drop down those 12 inches….i have seen pictures of other enclosures and they do tend to have the top of the enclosure kind of not empty but leveled out ….do you have an example
Of a set up on lighting

Beman thank you brother…..I feel as if I have an idea of what to do and yes I understand his casque will grow and biggg and I feel perhaps the best thing to do now is reorganize his home and reorganize the branches to drop down those 12 inches….i have seen pictures of other enclosures and they do tend to have the top of the enclosure kind of not empty but leveled out ….do you have an example
Of a set up on lighting
I personally would not drop the branches that far. You are wasting space. I would instead get the 5.0 or 6% bulb then drop branches 8-9 inches. I would have your heat branches dropped down this far as well.

Here are all the enclosures I have done and how they were set up. All of these are running an 8-9 inch distance from screen top to highest branch. https://www.chameleonforums.com/media/albums/my-enclosures.6672/

Becca

I personally would not drop the branches that far. You are wasting space. I would instead get the 5.0 or 6% bulb then drop branches 8-9 inches. I would have your heat branches dropped down this far as well.

Here are all the enclosures I have done and how they were set up. All of these are running an 8-9 inch distance from screen top to highest branch. https://www.chameleonforums.com/media/albums/my-enclosures.6672/

Becca
Well I bought the 10.0 because I got it on sale at petco lol…..what if I buy some 99 cent wire risers I believe ms.skittles uses these or mentioned them…I wouldn’t want to mess up his enclosure it took me time and dedication lol….but thank you for everything ….i have a little bit of remodeling if I’m going to use the 10.0

Well I bought the 10.0 because I got it on sale at petco lol…..what if I buy some 99 cent wire risers I believe ms.skittles uses these or mentioned them…I wouldn’t want to mess up his enclosure it took me time and dedication lol….but thank you for everything ….i have a little bit of remodeling if I’m going to use the 10.0
Either one you use you would need to raise it up off the cage top. You could do wire risers or hang the fixture from the ceiling. Just refer to the info I gave you above for distances. :)

Of a set up on lighting
FYI she's a sister lol

Back
Top Bottom