possible gular edama, help!!

chameleonkev

*gular edema i mean* can you tell me for sure what this swelling under the throat could be, it dosnt feal swollen or tight in any way and doesnt seem to be causing my female any halm

https://www.chameleonforums.com/members/chameleonkev-albums-chams-picture18009-006.jpg

https://www.chameleonforums.com/members/chameleonkev-albums-chams-picture18008-004.jpg

i just want to no what is is for certian and what i can do to prevent it getting worse or if possible cure it, she has laid just over a month ago, prehaps 6 week and please dont ask me to fill the care sheet in,my husbandry has been fine for all my other chams, thankyou

is it like that all the time?

it couldbe gular edema, girls can get it when they have laid.

try doing calcium only for a while, and up howmuch water she gets.

it can take a whiile to go away though, sodont be discourage.d

no its came over the last couple of days, i noticed it last night but wouldnt of been there long at all as i check them over every day, ive been advised to use only calcium for a while so i will do that and shes getting more water than ever now as ive had my new mistking, shes my cap est female and really dont want to lose her. is their certian gut loading ingredients i should be using aswel to up the calcium intake or anything else i can do to improve her?

I'm no expert but that does look like edema to me. My girl has just had a case of it and it's gone for now. It took us six weeks of plain calcium only, no d3 or multivitamin to cure it but it wasn't egg related so I'm not sure if the same course of action would be the right thing to do in your case.

Here's a link to my thread where I got some good advice that may help you :)
https://www.chameleonforums.com/we-trouble-88386/

In our case I'm pretty sure it was a vitA overload from a supplement that had a really high content so we tried to limit the vitA rich gutloads too (which isn't easy!)

I hope she's ok!

did you take you cham to the vets? im wondering if its worth the trip as i dont no if they can do anything more than i can about it

did you take you cham to the vets? im wondering if its worth the trip as i dont no if they can do anything more than i can about it

I did take her to the vets. He is a great vet but doesn't know much about chameleons. He wieghed her and measured her etc. took all our care info and passed it on to an exotic vets place in Edinburgh which I believe only vets have the power to do so yes it did help a little. Possibly your vet could look into things like that too?

He gave us the same advice we got on the forum so he did do research and was willing to listen to our thoughts views and experiences.

I think the vet would just tell you to cut down on d3 and multivitamin for a while and that it's common in females. All true! But it's good to establish that contact just in case it turns out to be anything more serious IMO.

there is a exotic pets vet who nos about chameleons in cheshire about 45 mins away from us, i dint mind the drive but i dont want to go to be told what i already no, i might call them see is there is anything else that can be done

That's lucky! The there's no exotic vets here. Yeah calling then would be a great idea. I'd be really interested to hear what they say about it :)

also if anyone does no what would be better gut loading to give my feeders to increase the calcium intake that would be really helpful

There is no doubt that gular edemas are commonly caused by organ (liver and/or kidney) malfunction. Sometimes the malfunction is temporary and the resulting edema is fully reversible, but often, permanent organ damage has been done, frequently a result of vitamin overdose. Vitamin D3 and preformed vitamin A have both been shown to cause organ malfunction, but other things, including dehydration, can cause the condition as well. In the opinion of many, myself included, an overdose of D3 is the most common cause of edema, which is why I prefer to let chameleons make their own D3 by exposing them to UVB radiation rather than using supplements containing D3. Vets see many more cases of hypovitamintosis A than hypervitamintosis A, so too much preformed A is usually not the cause IMO.

Perry

Hey KeV, if found that adding calcium powder into some dino fuel helps. If also added the calcium powder to my wet gut load - fresh vegs that I blitz in the blender then put into an ice cube tray and freeze. I just Put a new cube in with the feeders every other day and they lap it up.

There is no doubt that gular edemas are commonly caused by organ (liver and/or kidney) malfunction. Sometimes the malfunction is temporary and the resulting edema is fully reversible, but often, permanent organ damage has been done, frequently a result of vitamin overdose. Vitamin D3 and preformed vitamin A have both been shown to cause organ malfunction, but other things, including dehydration, can cause the condition as well. In the opinion of many, myself included, an overdose of D3 is the most common cause of edema, which is why I prefer to let chameleons make their own D3 by exposing them to UVB radiation rather than using supplements containing D3. Vets see many more cases of hypovitamintosis A than hypervitamintosis A, so too much preformed A is usually not the cause IMO.

Perry
ive only offerd d3 an a multivitamin twice a month so i wouldnt of thought it was to much, my other chams are ok. i think ive caught it at the right stage as its only small at the moment, i might change the brand of supliments im using

From what I know cutting on cricket could help. They have 1:2 phosporus to calcium ratio, which can be one of the factors which cause edema.

ive only offerd d3 an a multivitamin twice a month so i wouldnt of thought it was to much, my other chams are ok. i think ive caught it at the right stage as its only small at the moment, i might change the brand of supliments im using

I would stop dusting and focus more on providing her with prey that will provide her with needed calcium, like butterworms or something like that. Also make sure that she's staying super hydrated. I found that even though I use a mistking using a dripper in between mistings offers more opportunities to hydrate.

She won't eat butterworms but I've brought 500 silkworms last night witch will take a few weeks to grow to adult age an I've also brought some calci worms and I don't really use a massive amount of crickets, she eats a lot of dubi roaches an locust

Perry

I live in the uk so we carnt put them outside for natural UVB, I do on walm days but there hasn't been many this year, I think I've caught it at the right stage as at times it's hardly noticeable so I'm hoping to get her back to full health. Would taking her to a vet an asking for a injection of liquid calcium be worth doing?

Locusts are a good feeder for natural calcium too. My girl rarely says no to a locust!

I've got my weekly supply of locust being delived tomorrow, I'm cutting her of crickets completly for two weeks, she hasn't long laid and that was a double clutch but she's really put some weight on again an is making her way down to her laying bucket abit, I wouldn't of thought she could be laying again but it's hard to say with goes she's acting

Back
Top Bottom