Is the other eye of my Jackson chameleon going blind too?

Inkfish

Hi! I am asking for help with my 11-month-old male Jackson chameleon.

We got him from a local Feeders Supply 8 months ago. Everything seemed fine with him until 2 months ago, when his left eye got super swollen all of a sudden ( photos below). We took him to a vet the next day and he was diagnosed with sinus infection.

Screenshot_20200220-124058.png

Screenshot_20200220-124121.png

Screenshot_20200220-124117.png

We took him home and fed him the medicine and painkiller as instructed for a week. The swell came down but we couldn't save the eye. His left eye now looks like a dark shrunken spot inside the eyelids.

He was doing well for a month with one eye. But recently he hasn't been eating much. Lately we noticed that he hasn't been moving or eating much at all, and his right eye is looking shut too. Occasionally when he opens his right eye and rotates it, a purple bubble would appear in the corner (photos attached).

IMG_20200220_121133.jpg

IMG_20200220_121139.jpg

IMG_20200220_121140.jpg

IMG_20200220_121141.jpg

IMG_20200220_121147.jpg

Does anyone know the possible causes of his eye problem, and ways to cure? I do not wish to see him going full blind.

Before his left eye got swollen, we had a fake plant dripper plugged in at all time. And after that, we got rid of the dripper (after reading that it's not hygienic) and replaced that with an ultrasonic humidifier at night and occasional spraying during daytime.

We are really worried and frustrated at this point. The last vet visit cost us over $100, which is a lot for us. We probably can spend another hundred and go to the vet again, but the last visit didn't save his left eye.

I read this thread and decided to try supplying him vitamin A and Vitamin D3 by feeding him drops of Reptivite mixed with water. I just sat down and hope to see some effects.

We are also looking for a new home for him, where he can get better husbandry and care, and get healthier. We really don't want to see him die in our hands

Thank you for reading!

It might be easiest if we eliminate any husbandry problems first and then go from there. This will give us a lot of info at once to work from.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

You can start by calling your vet and telling them it has progressed into his other eye and see if they will refill his antibiotic or give you a different one that he may have to be on for longer as the other did not eliminate the infection completely. Because it is the same problem you may not have to go in and can just pay for the meds. It never hurts to ask.

Back
Top Bottom