Please save them.

Lizardlover

Went to pick up some roaches today since my colony is running low and came across some melleri that were just imported. They are not in the best shape but are good for imports, they are juveniles, and won't last long the way they are currently being kept. They are $85, $150 a pair, I really wish I had the space, or money to pick up one of these guys but I just dont have the money right now. These guys would be great if taken care of properly and most still have their rostral horn in-tact. If you are interested e-mail

[email protected]

I would really hate to see these guys suffer, they are such amazing animals that don't deserve the care they are getting. Again, they are in OK shape but if they continue to recieve the care they are getting they will go downhill fast.

Danny:

What "conditions" are they being kept in?? I know the guys at Underground and, while they don't know everything about chams and that's not their mainstay, I do know that keep their chams generally healthy enough for sale. (of course, I have only dealt with them with panthers and not the giants...).

I wish I could save every melleri I see that comes in because most of them are in such miserable condition when they get here and, unless you know what you're doing, they will just get worse. Hence the name, "the 30-day lizard". :(

Julie

Danny:

What "conditions" are they being kept in?? I know the guys at Underground and, while they don't know everything about chams and that's not their mainstay, I do know that keep their chams generally healthy enough for sale. (of course, I have only dealt with them with panthers and not the giants...).

I wish I could save every melleri I see that comes in because most of them are in such miserable condition when they get here and, unless you know what you're doing, they will just get worse. Hence the name, "the 30-day lizard". :(

Julie

I know the owners as well, and while as I mentioned earlier, the chameleons are recieved healthy, the way they are cared for will not keep them alive as long as they should live. The melleri are housed in an iguana cage (virtually no humidity if you know what an iguana cage is) with a huge dish full of superworms. One is dehydrated, and being that most of their reptiles that require water are misted every other day or only once a day I am positive they are not getting proper hydration. I bought my Rh.spectrum from them, they do generally get in nice chameleons and care for them OK, but Melleri are a whole different ball-park.

Danny, I understand your motives for the post...but most of the exotic chams (non jackson, panther, or veiled) that get imported are treated just like you're seeing. It's so often that I thought that it was strange that you posted. I would love to have mellers but they are just sooo big and need so much space to do well.

The fischer's aren't looking very good either.

The best situation would be importers that care enough to acclimate animals before wholesaling them out to pet shops and distributors. All too often though, the animals need vet attention, medication, isolation, and sunlight...none of which they'll get at the next destination. I would say FL Chams does one of the best jobs acclimating chams but there needs to be more out there willing to take the risk. This has been something I've long though about and wish I could change.

Danny, I understand your motives for the post...but most of the exotic chams (non jackson, panther, or veiled) that get imported are treated just like you're seeing. It's so often that I thought that it was strange that you posted. I would love to have mellers but they are just sooo big and need so much space to do well.

The fischer's aren't looking very good either.

The best situation would be importers that care enough to acclimate animals before wholesaling them out to pet shops and distributors. All too often though, the animals need vet attention, medication, isolation, and sunlight...none of which they'll get at the next destination. I would say FL Chams does one of the best jobs acclimating chams but there needs to be more out there willing to take the risk. This has been something I've long though about and wish I could change.

I understand what happens with importers, but I guess it's just because I have a soft spot for melleri. The "fischers" (K.multituberculata) are not doing too bad to be honest.

I know the owners as well, and while as I mentioned earlier, the chameleons are recieved healthy, the way they are cared for will not keep them alive as long as they should live. The melleri are housed in an iguana cage (virtually no humidity if you know what an iguana cage is) with a huge dish full of superworms. One is dehydrated, and being that most of their reptiles that require water are misted every other day or only once a day I am positive they are not getting proper hydration. I bought my Rh.spectrum from them, they do generally get in nice chameleons and care for them OK, but Melleri are a whole different ball-park.

Just FYI - you CAN house them in an iguana cage. My oldest female is housed in an Iguana Kingdom and she has lived there very healthy (and acclimated there after import) for nearly 3 years now. (granted, she has lived by herself in there all that time) It's WHERE you put the cage and HOW you give them their requirements that matter. This particular cage has lots of wood parrot perches, vines and plants and this cage is with another melleri cage and a few other panthers and veileds in one particular room that is kept humid. She always liked to drink right from sprayer so she gets plenty of water.

You don't know exactly what they are doing for these guys. If they are relatively healthy for now, maybe they will be going to their next destination quickly where they will get picked up by someone who would give them proper conditions, etc. Or not. None of this we know for sure. I, personally, would trust the guys at Underground FAR MORE than I trust a lot of the people that get them in and advertise/sell them.

It's okay to have a soft spot for the melleri. They are and have always been, by far, my favorits species. Which is why I've spent so much time, money and effort with them to get to where I am now - 59 CB eggs incubating. :)D) The more people that try to get to that point with any species, the better, because hopefully someday, we wouldn't even be talking about this because there will be quite a few CB's in this country already.:)

Back
Top Bottom