Opinions please.

My little guys are ready to start finding homes.
This is the rough basics I am giving people prior to purchase. I would like honest opinions on if it covers the basics properly or if I missed something.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So you want a Chameleon ?

Chameleons can make some of the most interesting and rewarding pets around. However, the are not a beginner pet. This doesn't mean it can't be your first pet, It just means you will need to do some research first.

Often the term difficult is used, but I think specific is a better way to describe their care. Chameleons have very specific requirements in terms of heat, uvb light, humidity, air flow and diet. If you take these into account when setting up, your new pet you will do well. The difficult part comes in the fact that if any one of these is off, the animal will suffer, fail to thrive and ultimately die. For Yemen (Veiled ) Chameleons, females can live up to 7 years and males have been known to go 10+ when given proper care. Fortunately knowledge and modern equipment this can all be very manageable.

The important thing is to be committed to the long term care. Don't try to take shortcuts.

For the care of Chameleons I am not going to rewrite the book, I will give the basics of my care, and encourage you to research and learn.
Here are some good sources of up to date and accurate information, written by experts.
https://www.Chameleons.info/en/
https://Chameleonacademy.com/
Another good source of information and help is
https://www.Chameleonforums.com/

My Basics:

Basking zone < 80 for female and < 85 for males.

Ambient Temp @ 75 Night time temps should drop to a minimum of 70 and as low as the low 60s.

Humidity: 30% to 50% daytime and 90% - 100% at night

T5HO UVB 6% or 5.0

I use automatic misters or pump type sprayer type bottles. Foggers ant night to cool and increase humidity.

I am including a rough price list of the equipment for a new Chameleon.

Chameleon Supply list:

• Lighting.

• Heat – Light Dome fixture with 60watt to 75watt incandescent.
    • $20
    • Plants – Make sure to include light for Live plants. There are various types available, most will do fine.
    • $40
  • Housing
    • There a few options for housing your Chameleon. Some things to keep in mind is to provide as much area as you can. Ventilation is extremely important. It must be a screen, or screen glass hybrid. NO aquariums
  • $150 and up

• Live Plants. Some do not realize the importance or this, but for a happy healthy Chameleon, and to not be fighting with heat and humidity. They are a must.
    • $50
  • Hydration.
    • Misters, sprayer, foggers, dippers. There are again options here, but plan on at least
    • $100
  • Supplements and Food. You will need to properly supplement your Chameleon. This will require 3 different vitamins. Ca with D3, Ca Without D3, and a multivitamin.
    • $30

Total: $380

This is a rough guide of the minimum you will need to keep a Chameleon. However through some shopping and looking on Crags list, and Facebook Marketplace often you can find much of what you will need at a lower price.
A full comllete set up with live plants and baby veiled in canada is around 1300-1400$

Basking zone < 80 for female and < 85 for males.
Though thisnis the case eg in CF care sheet, different basking remos for diff sexes do not make sense at all. They nask at same times at same teps at same places in the wild, therefore at SAME TEMPERATURES
all captive observations are by default biassed by captivity

Supplements and Food. You will need to properly supplement your Chameleon. This will require 3 different vitamins. Ca with D3, Ca Without D3, and a multivitamin.
You forget bee pollen
Itnis
Of
Crucial
Importance
And I personally consider it even more important than multivitamin mixtures

like to recommend night time humidity of 70%+ since 90-100% is unrealistic for most folks. Then people freak out when they can't get it to 100%.
Do not
Make compromises
Prople
Need to know what they should aim for
Lowering the standards is a wrong approach IMHO
Isage of fogger ajtomatically increases the humidity to 100% ifnunder 65F, though not aleays it is measurea le
Ut this is physics

In general,
It is acknowledgeable activity but yiu seem to skigjtky reinvent the wheel
Also, you do a compilation of the knowledge of others, so it would be fair to name rhe sources or to
Refer to the sources or to ise the original sources and do not rewrite them or all in one

Ppl have more and more troubles to read texts and you provide a structured yet quite complicated text

J would be cautious what material yoj recommend ans suggest, especially from the youtube videos, that in general are full of inaccuracies

I am pleased you refer to my site as to a good source, thank you

I explicitly allow You tomuse all mu caresheets,
which have lroven to provide the info quite structired and understandable way over the globe

I suggest you to navigate ppl to communities which might help them

I consider as the far best concept the one run by
The FB group
CHAMELEON CARE 101

i would
Be a. It reserved to suggest CF fir a newbie because if rhe inconsistent and often confusing info provided and J would Explicitly warn rhem not to listen eg to chameleon central or a Veiled CHameleon FB groups, as their advice is often disastrous

Good luck

I doubt it heavily
It must include not necessary expensive things.
My entire set up minus the live plants was about 1100$ and I bought 200$ worth of live plants (6 plants , 2 golden pothos, 1 4ft benjamine ficus tree, one umbrella plant and 1 golden capella ficus benjamine bush)...
Grand total of 1300$

Attachments

• 1602342819987997923562172899304.jpg
    1602342819987997923562172899304.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 95
Maybe add a few pics here... Might get some lurkers that are looking for a baby :)
In general,
It is acknowledgeable activity but yiu seem to skigjtky reinvent the wheel
Also, you do a compilation of the knowledge of others, so it would be fair to name rhe sources or to
Refer to the sources or to ise the original sources and do not rewrite them or all in one

Ppl have more and more troubles to read texts and you provide a structured yet quite complicated text

J would be cautious what material yoj recommend ans suggest, especially from the youtube videos, that in general are full of inaccuracies

I am pleased you refer to my site as to a good source, thank you

I explicitly allow You tomuse all mu caresheets,
which have lroven to provide the info quite structired and understandable way over the globe

I suggest you to navigate ppl to communities which might help them

I consider as the far best concept the one run by
The FB group
CHAMELEON CARE 101

i would
Be a. It reserved to suggest CF fir a newbie because if rhe inconsistent and often confusing info provided and J would Explicitly warn rhem not to listen eg to chameleon central or a Veiled CHameleon FB groups, as their advice is often disastrous

Good luck

So I thought I did give credit where do. It is formatted, just not when I copied and paste.
It is not complete no, but I encourage the owners to research the sites provided.
I quite simply don't have enough knowledge to write a book and would rather direct people to do their own research.

I only have the 7 babies, it is my intent to direct people and stay in contact. The sheet is just a very basic What am I getting into.
Cost is really very relative. Someone handy can make a lot of things. So I am not meaning to be absolute.

I only provided 3 sites You , chameleon academy, and the one youtube chanel. I honestly have not watched the Youtube chanel, sorry. The other two I think we can agree are good sights.

I thank you for use of your care sheets, I do appreciate it. I just tried to give a quick over view. Still better than PetsMart lol

My entire set up minus the live plants was about 1100$ and I bought 200$ worth of live plants (6 plants , 2 golden pothos, 1 4ft benjamine ficus tree, one umbrella plant and 1 golden capella ficus benjamine bush)...
Grand total of 1300$

I could hit $1500 in a second,, Large DragonStrand to start what are those $1000

At the same time My full DIY set up comes in at just under $200

Just not pretty from the outside, lol
IMG_1043.jpg

But inside has all he needs.
IMG_1044.jpg

Looool hkw can you heavily doubt that, its exactly what I paid, are you from Canada? If nit how do you know lol
I have been to Canada many times and the Prices are equal to global prices
I run a geoup in Canada with moee than 1100 chameleon keepers so I am up to date
I do not doubt you can pay so much if you choose so but it is by far not necessary

So I thought I did give credit where do. It is formatted, just not when I copied and paste.
It is not complete no, but I encourage the owners to research the sites provided.
I quite simply don't have enough knowledge to write a book and would rather direct people to do their own research.

I only have the 7 babies, it is my intent to direct people and stay in contact. The sheet is just a very basic What am I getting into.
Cost is really very relative. Someone handy can make a lot of things. So I am not meaning to be absolute.

I only provided 3 sites You , chameleon academy, and the one youtube chanel. I honestly have not watched the Youtube chanel, sorry. The other two I think we can agree are good sights.

I thank you for use of your care sheets, I do appreciate it. I just tried to give a quick over view. Still better than PetsMart lol

please review the youtube chanel before you recommend it. It is not a good practice to recommend something you have not seen.

I have been to Canada many times and the Prices are equal to global prices
I run a geoup in Canada with moee than 1100 chameleon keepers so I am up to date
I do not doubt you can pay so much if you choose so but it is by far not necessary
What group do you run in Canada?...I don't think I've ever seen it.

I don't think I've ever paid as much as was indicated for a setup and I had my cages custom made....but mind you it was quite a few years ago.

I think your doing a great job giving a basic reference. This is the same as what other breeders do.

I happen to like the specific Youtube channel being mentioned. She is able to get across the information in a manner that the younger audience listens to and appreciates. I love that she does link back to proper sources as well. I see no reason once so ever to exclude it. After all some people learn better visually rather then reading through stuff.

What group do you run in Canada?...I don't think I've ever seen it.

I don't think I've ever paid as much as was indicated for a setup and I had my cages custom made....but mind you it was quite a few years ago.

It id on FB where yöu are not in.
I shared rhe mal of presence of LWC, it is there
CLIC
Chameleon Life In Canada

Back
Top Bottom