Plans for a Dream First Enclosure

I have been looking around at breeders while I wait for my enclosure and such and I found a beautiful baby from a stunning sire- the problem is I would have to scramble and get a temp setup until my enclosure was done in a month or so. Ofc would include heat, uvb, etc in a 36” tall screen cage (theres a used one for sale near me). Is this a bad idea? Dont want to stress him out too much or anything, I have just really fallen in love w this little one and the next babies from this sire are 6ish months away😬

I have been looking around at breeders while I wait for my enclosure and such and I found a beautiful baby from a stunning sire- the problem is I would have to scramble and get a temp setup until my enclosure was done in a month or so. Ofc would include heat, uvb, etc in a 36” tall screen cage (theres a used one for sale near me). Is this a bad idea? Dont want to stress him out too much or anything, I have just really fallen in love w this little one and the next babies from this sire are 6ish months away😬
How old is the baby?

Kind of depends on dragonstrand timeline- they said mid novemberish, and then I need a few days to construct and plant etc so looking at a few weeks at least. I was planning on asking if they can hold the baby for a week/2 anyway to keep it to a minimum

Kind of depends on dragonstrand timeline- they said mid novemberish, and then I need a few days to construct and plant etc so looking at a few weeks at least. I was planning on asking if they can hold the baby for a week/2 anyway to keep it to a minimum
So a "baby" cage is not out of the question. You will need to regulate your temps and humidity in the adult cage as well. As long as the baby cage is not smaller than 18x18x36 due to the age of the one you found. You should be fine. Make sure there are lots of plants in it for the youngen to feel secure. Ask them how they are feeding them. If using a feeder run then try to get the same type or similar. If free feeding you want to do a feeder run to ensure the feeders can not chew on baby while it sleeps and to track how many it is eating each day.

What you will need to watch for is screen climbing the top. So lifting fixtures up off the top of the cage is important when they are young and can easily get to the top panel. Let me know what T5HO bulb strength and fixture your going with and I can give you distances for UVB with screen climbing risk. Basking you still want a temp of 80 but you have to raise the fixture to ensure that on screen you can still hold your hand there without feeling hot. I lift my basking 4 inches off the top.

additionally especially since this is your first cham. Make sure you go with a reputable breeder. Look into anyone your interested in. I say this because not all breeders are the same quality. You do not want to end up with a chameleon that has parasites or other issues. This can turn your experience upside down.

Thank you for all the info and help- I will think on it today to make sure I am comfortable doing this and come back here once I make a choice. I have read enough here to know some of the horror stories so I am definitely doing a “background check” on any potential breeders👍

Thank you for all the info and help- I will think on it today to make sure I am comfortable doing this and come back here once I make a choice. I have read enough here to know some of the horror stories so I am definitely doing a “background check” on any potential breeders👍
I highly advice it. I had an awful experience that I would not wish on my worst enemy. It is hard enough to deal with a sick chameleon but when your new it is so much worse.

If it helps there are a few breeders I would 100% go with if I got a Panther. ipardalis, framschams, and kammerflage are three that I have been very impressed with. A little more pricey but worth it due to the quality of chams they breed and the reputation they have in the hobby.

So… I HAVE A BABY ON THE WAY!!! I asked them to hold him for two weeks so I can throw things together- have been ordering things all day and have a few left but here are some pics!!! Got him from cloud 9 chameleons; he is first 2 pics, then sire, then the others are labeled in the last photo. He really almost glows/sparkles so I can't wait to watch him develop (already love his purples)

1667536092922.png 1667536104468.png 1667536115798.png 1667536124975.png

So… I HAVE A BABY ON THE WAY!!! I asked them to hold him for two weeks so I can throw things together- have been ordering things all day and have a few left but here are some pics!!! Got him from cloud 9 chameleons; he is first 2 pics, then sire, then the others are labeled in the last photo. He really almost glows/sparkles so I can't wait to watch him develop (already love his purples)

View attachment 331079View attachment 331080View attachment 331081View attachment 331082
I have heard good things about cloud 9. He is a little stunner. Congrats on your first chameleon!

If you have any questions let me know. I know you are ordering stuff so if your unsure on something we are here to help. :)

Thanks so much! I have everything except heating elements- what fixtures do you all use? Having trouble finding deep domes which I like

Attachments

• basking hooked in3.JPG
    basking hooked in3.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 49
  • basking hooked in2.JPG
    basking hooked in2.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 46
Basically everything except my dragonstrand is here! Still need to find a good size ficus for the permanent enclosure but I have some time, may have to buy some temporary plants too while the ones I really like grow out (they are very small!). The little one should be here on Thursday and I can't wait!!! Need to order some feeders too so that I am all set for his arrival. I will post some pics of the temp enclosure before he gets here.

The temporary enclosure- basking is at 80.2 and uvb is maybe 8-10” from the branch directly below it, but higher branches to the side of it are getting some indirect. Lmk if theres anything I can do to improve it! Second pic is all my wood goodies🥰🥰🥰

Attachments

• 826AF415-7395-4F88-BF9D-33C3480540ED.jpeg
    826AF415-7395-4F88-BF9D-33C3480540ED.jpeg
    211 KB · Views: 56
  • D55FFAA5-F2A8-4622-95AD-5364D26A37D9.jpeg
    D55FFAA5-F2A8-4622-95AD-5364D26A37D9.jpeg
    255.6 KB · Views: 51
The temporary enclosure- basking is at 80.2 and uvb is maybe 8-10” from the branch directly below it, but higher branches to the side of it are getting some indirect. Lmk if theres anything I can do to improve it! Second pic is all my wood goodies🥰🥰🥰
Can you post a pic for me from the side view so I can get a better idea on your branches and the UVB/heat fixture placement?

Are these better?

Attachments

• 3E854687-58BD-4826-91F9-FE632DDA92AF.jpeg
    3E854687-58BD-4826-91F9-FE632DDA92AF.jpeg
    224.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 3CE859EB-8D04-4F43-BFAC-A014EA3849B5.jpeg
    3CE859EB-8D04-4F43-BFAC-A014EA3849B5.jpeg
    194.2 KB · Views: 43
Back
Top Bottom