Plans for a Dream First Enclosure

Is that a Govee on the left in the middle? You want it to breathe and be able to dry out or it won’t last long. Not in direct path of misting.

It is- thanks for the heads up, I will find a better spot for it! Most everything is dialed in, but heat is out in my house so dealing w that now🤦🏼‍♂️

How long will the foam islands last under the uvb light? Will the foam damage a all screen encloser? I've thought about trying this but money is tight and don't want to mess up existing enclosure.

I am not sure about uv exposure, but most of mine is covered by silicone/soil. For a screen enclosure it can work, but mine isnt one so I cant give much advice there

Not sure if I should make a new thread or not, but my boy has been pretty brown a majority of the time lately- he is just finishing shedding for the first time w me so wasn't sure if that was part of it?

Not sure if I should make a new thread or not, but my boy has been pretty brown a majority of the time lately- he is just finishing shedding for the first time w me so wasn't sure if that was part of it?
Can I see a pic of the cage now lights down?

He is eating fine and the temps/humidify are in the ranges provided on the chameleon academy website (basking is 81/82, cant move the lamp further away at this moment)
5560B085-0E80-47A9-8C46-270AE1A79C0C.jpeg

He is eating fine and the temps/humidify are in the ranges provided on the chameleon academy website (basking is 81/82, cant move the lamp further away at this moment)
View attachment 334494
How are you checking temps? Which t5 bulb strength are you using? Looks like that top branch is pretty close to the uvb on the top. Is he going there to bask?

Can you get your hands on a tall centerpiece plant? He does not have much coverage and this may be part of the darker colors.

I am using govee sensors to check temps- he does tend to bask more under the led light than the heat lamp (which I read they were prone to do) so should I place them together so he can bask properly? The uvb bulb is about 3” from his back at the highest point. I have a schefflera in there that is supposed to be the centerpiece but its still a foot too short. I will see if I can get more temporary coverage since its taking awhile for the vining ones to grow in

I am using govee sensors to check temps- he does tend to bask more under the led light than the heat lamp (which I read they were prone to do) so should I place them together so he can bask properly? The uvb bulb is about 3” from his back at the highest point. I have a schefflera in there that is supposed to be the centerpiece but its still a foot too short. I will see if I can get more temporary coverage since its taking awhile for the vining ones to grow in
What UVB strength are you using? I am guessing a 5.0 or 6% bulb... If so you need 8-9 inches to the branches below the UVB. Otherwise he is in over exposure levels. At 3 inches away from his back he is getting far too high of a UVI level.

Govee sensors are great for ambient temp and humidity however not good for checking real basking temps. I am betting your temps are sitting higher than you realize especially with the LED lamp. You need gauges with wired probes. You hook the probe in at the basking branch to determine the real basking temp. If it is showing 85 then it is sitting up around 88ish where the back of the cham rises up. Which would bee too hot.

I have a probe thermometer so I will go ahead and use that to check today and adjust accordingly- I also just double checked the academy materials and I misread UVB distance🤦🏼‍♂️, so I will lift it up off the screen today

I have a probe thermometer so I will go ahead and use that to check today and adjust accordingly- I also just double checked the academy materials and I misread UVB distance🤦🏼‍♂️, so I will lift it up off the screen today
So you want the probe to read max 82... Because it is going to be hotter where they rise up. Test below the LED fixture as well. Those can put out some heat.

I think a tall centerpiece plant will help quite a bit as well. They can stress when they are exposed.

I will make sure to check under all the lights- and I will work on getting a centerpiece plant, though finding something that goes all the way up may be difficult

I will make sure to check under all the lights- and I will work on getting a centerpiece plant, though finding something that goes all the way up may be difficult
Try the indoor garden section at lowes or home depot. That is a great place to find them larger. Or even if you have a nursery local to you.

Well my probe says 76 on the basking branch, so gonna move the heat lamp a bit closer. But he isnt basking all the time so i doubt hes cold- adding more 3’ ish schefflera to the front to add cover today

Well my probe says 76 on the basking branch, so gonna move the heat lamp a bit closer. But he isnt basking all the time so i doubt hes cold- adding more 3’ ish schefflera to the front to add cover today
What type of probe did you get and was it directly below the basking light on the branch? Did you leave it there so it could get the true temp?

It is a thermostat probe for heat pads (no heating pad is attached right now). It was right below the light and I checked after 3 hours or so

It is a thermostat probe for heat pads (no heating pad is attached right now). It was right below the light and I checked after 3 hours or so
Hmmm... I do not know if that will work the same since it is designed for heat pads. Mine that I have for a heat pad is quite different than the one I use in my cage for the lights. Due to having to place the probe against the heat pad to control the temp. I dunno.

Hmmm... I do not know if that will work the same since it is designed for heat pads. Mine that I have for a heat pad is quite different than the one I use in my cage for the lights. Due to having to place the probe against the heat pad to control the temp. I dunno.
Was planning on buying a proper probe anyway so ill check once it gets here

Added a good size schefflera to the front! We will see if that helps some, there is one branch up high that he can hang out and not be seen now. Also, he took a VERY long drink today, so I am going to make sure to incorporate handmisting/drinking time outside of his night/early morning mist
6E7761F8-B706-47FB-92CE-AAA5FEBD401E.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom