Picky Pooper

EpicWin

Hey everyone!

So I have a super awesome blue bar ambilobe panther and he's really healthy, drinks lots of water (I don't see him drink, but his urates are perfect white), eats normally...

The ONE quirk I have noticed with Heisenberg is, he will NOT poop in his cage. Like, EVER. And if he does, it's because he's been holding it for a couple days. He will poop daily if he's in the sun, but ONLY if he's in the sun.

Anyone experience this with their chams? He reminds me of me. Compartmentalizing his life. haha

It's kind of at a point now where, he only poops when I take him out and let him roam around on me. What is that? It trips me out...

My original theory is that he needs the sun to poop, but that's not true anymore. Now he just wants to be outside the cage in order to poop.
Maybe he doesn't like to poop in his own quarters? He lives in a 2'x2'x4' Reptibreeze, so he has plenty of space (though someday I will be outfitting an entire room for him)

I can't really complain though, the second I open his cage, he practically sprints to my arm and climbs to the top of my head, walks around a little, goes back and forth on my shoulders then goes down to my hand and begins his "PP" (pooping process).

It really cracks me up! His poo is very healthy, slightly moist, good healthy brown coloring and paper white urates. So I'm not worried about his health, he just has the strangest little personality haha.

Let me know what your lil guy/gal does to "go!" I'm really curious now!

Thanks guys!

Heisenberg & Travis

That sounds like something you can really take advantage of.

If he goes in one place, then I'd be looking at placing a pad or catch pan to make cleaning up after him easy. :p

I'm so jealous. Mine poops just about everywhere, including his food dish. :(

I have had a veiled and panther do the exact same thing. They never like to poop in their cage.

My thoughts are that they either don't like the smell or they are worried predators might find them easier if they poop where they spend most of their time. Or a combination of the two. That's just my speculation though.

That sounds like something you can really take advantage of.

If he goes in one place, then I'd be looking at placing a pad or catch pan to make cleaning up after him easy. :p

I'm so jealous. Mine poops just about everywhere, including his food dish. :(

Yeah for a while when I was free-ranging him, (temporarily stopped for the winter... he loves my window but drafts are bad for chams) I had the lid of a Dubia roach container on the floor and he'd hit it EVERY time. I feel so lucky to have a potty-trained cham! hahaha And I didn't even have to train him!

I have had a veiled and panther do the exact same thing. They never like to poop in their cage.

My thoughts are that they either don't like the smell or they are worried predators might find them easier if they poop where they spend most of their time. Or a combination of the two. That's just my speculation though.

Freaking smart!!! Chameleons continue to blow my mind... I used to think they were all pretty much the same, but boy have I been proven wrong lately.

Thanks for your responses, guys!

Well I have a feeding cup made from Solo cups that I feed supers in. I took it out this AM to toss a few in (they don't get them every day) but it had 3 nice poops from Daario in it...I put supers in there about 4 days ago...they were gone then he turned it into the potty. I dumped them out and put it back in as the new "throne"... Kind of nice cause its easy to clean. My other guy likes to perch with his front legs on my hand to do his business....they are funky little critters thats for sure

Well I have a feeding cup made from Solo cups that I feed supers in. I took it out this AM to toss a few in (they don't get them every day) but it had 3 nice poops from Daario in it...I put supers in there about 4 days ago...they were gone then he turned it into the potty. I dumped them out and put it back in as the new "throne"... Kind of nice cause its easy to clean. My other guy likes to perch with his front legs on my hand to do his business....they are funky little critters thats for sure

Hahahaa that is so funny. I love what they decide to do. My lil guy sometimes wraps his tail around my index finger and drapes his body, then holds onto my left hand with his front hands to go while his hind legs dangle. Cracks me up! And after he "goes," he gets so bright and needs to like run around like he's all stoked.

Mine has started going in the same place since last week. Hangs his bum off the vine and does it. Thought it was coincidence the first couple of times, but no he goes in same place each time.kath.

Mine has started going in the same place since last week. Hangs his bum off the vine and does it. Thought it was coincidence the first couple of times, but no he goes in same place each time.kath.

They're a lot smarter than I originally assumed (before I ever had a cham)! Pretty friggin cool! What kind of cham do you have?

He's amilobe panther, blue bar I believe. He's still really young, can't wait for his colours to come in more.
Kath.

Ahh!! Same here!
Is it an Ambilobe thing or a cham thing? There's such an ecclectic mix of behaviors among all the locales. I want all of them! hahaha

Hey everyone!

So I have a super awesome blue bar ambilobe panther and he's really healthy, drinks lots of water (I don't see him drink, but his urates are perfect white), eats normally...

The ONE quirk I have noticed with Heisenberg is, he will NOT poop in his cage. Like, EVER. And if he does, it's because he's been holding it for a couple days. He will poop daily if he's in the sun, but ONLY if he's in the sun.

Anyone experience this with their chams? He reminds me of me. Compartmentalizing his life. haha

It's kind of at a point now where, he only poops when I take him out and let him roam around on me. What is that? It trips me out...

My original theory is that he needs the sun to poop, but that's not true anymore. Now he just wants to be outside the cage in order to poop.
Maybe he doesn't like to poop in his own quarters? He lives in a 2'x2'x4' Reptibreeze, so he has plenty of space (though someday I will be outfitting an entire room for him)

I can't really complain though, the second I open his cage, he practically sprints to my arm and climbs to the top of my head, walks around a little, goes back and forth on my shoulders then goes down to my hand and begins his "PP" (pooping process).

It really cracks me up! His poo is very healthy, slightly moist, good healthy brown coloring and paper white urates. So I'm not worried about his health, he just has the strangest little personality haha.

Let me know what your lil guy/gal does to "go!" I'm really curious now!

Thanks guys!

Heisenberg & Travis
My Panther only poops when I take him out and let him roam around. He comes out every othere day.

Hi, I have had a panther chameleon for a month now and since last week, he's been frantically asking to come out of the cage only to poo... and then back in! I thought it was a coincidence, but now I am learning from you all that it may actually be intentional... So funny.

My guy generally goes in the same spot with the exception of a few days ago. It had been about a week or so since he last went, and he took a dump practically off his basking branch. It was so huge it almost broke a pothos leaf off on it's way down. Fortunately it looked normal, just huge.

Back
Top Bottom