Panther sleeping on bottom of cage?

Chameleon Creator

I have a male panther chameleon a little over a year old and lately he has been going I the bottom of the cage and more worrisome this is the second night in a row I found him sleeping in the pot on the bottom of the cage. Anyone experience something similar? This is odd behavior for him and nothing in his environment had changed.
He still eats like a pig but he hasn't been drinking as much and his urates prove this.
Any ideas?

they do tend to sleep in weird places. probably fine, as long as he's not sleeping during the day. Also, mist him more and or make the mistings longer

It is definitely not normal for him to sleep on the bottom of the cage. Has he done anything else unusual? Does he seem weak at all or have any signs of a respiratory infection?

It's also possible he doesn't like something about his cage, do you have pictures of him and the cage?

I'll have to snap a picture when I get home from work tonight then I'll upload one. The only thing that has changed is I took out the ficus which was in the middle of his change 2 months ago or so because the sap was causing eye issues. Everything else is the same. Not sure if you can see anything in his mouth here but here's some pictures I took in case

If he is sleeping on the floor of the cage, that is not normal.

Maybe he is falling?

Get him on your hand, and check his grip on all for legs and his tail.

Do you see him climbing down to the floor, or do you just find him that way?

Can he zap his prey okay?
Have you checked his vision?

Some of my guys will sleep on the lowest vine or branch, but never on the floor.

Sleeping on the floor is definitely not good. It goes against their natural instincts of finding safety in the trees, especially at night when they are most vulnerable.

Are you dusting with calcium at every feeding? This weird behavior could be an early warning sign of some other issue.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom