16953208846143459495480441197625.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 16953209076885182665683626894910.jpg
    16953209076885182665683626894910.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 16953209228422792126906803446796.jpg
    16953209228422792126906803446796.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 35
I believe your supplements are the problem. Your calcium has D3 in it, the Repashy calcium Plus has D3 in it and I don’t know about your multivitamin, other than the Repashy calcium plus is a multivitamin too. Supplemental D3 is fat soluble and can easily build up to toxic levels as it isn’t easily/quickly excreted. You need to stop using all of those immediately and just use a plain calcium, no D3, no multivitamin. He is also getting overdosed with vitamin A from the Repashy, which is also fat soluble.

Unfortunately, there aren’t any ways to really get the excess fat soluble vitamins out of baby’s system other than time. Making sure he stays very well hydrated may help and some have thought that perhaps unfiltered sunlight may help reduce supplemented vitamin D, but I don’t know if that’s been proven. Because he’s so tiny and in need of lots of daily nutrition, you really need to get him to eat. If he won’t on his own, you’ll need to check with your vet about what to do. I don’t want to advise force feeding such a small baby as I’m not sure how safe it is.

Unfortunately, there aren’t any ways to really get the excess fat soluble vitamins out of baby’s system other than time. Making sure he stays very well hydrated may help and some have thought that perhaps unfiltered sunlight may help reduce supplemented vitamin D, but I don’t know if that’s been proven. Because he’s so tiny and in need of lots of daily nutrition, you really need to get him to eat. If he won’t on his own, you’ll need to check with your vet about what to do. I don’t want to advise force feeding such a small baby as I’m not sure how safe it is.
Thank you! I will call the vet and see if they can help and stop using supplements for now.

Omg I had no idea! I will stop using them! Thank you.

Ok I had a feeling this was supplement related. This is why I always like to double check supplements. Baby is overdosed on D3 and vitamin A. So suffering from toxicity with both. Unfortunately both of these are fat soluble so they store in the tissues and they will not just flush out like water soluble vitamins. I would make sure baby has a dripper going all day to have access to water. Bad thing is a vet will not be able to assist with a toxicity issue. Nothing they can do either. This just takes time for the levels to reduce. This is why baby is not eating and is closing its eyes.

You need a plain calcium without D3 and nothing else right now. At least for the next 6 weeks you only will use this. We recommend calcium without D3 at all feedings and then a multivitamin (like the repashy calcium plus LoD version) to be used only two times a month say the 1st and the 15th.

About what your using:
Repashy calcium plus. This one is actually higher in levels than what we recommend for a multivitamin. It has calcium with D3 and vitamin A along with other vitamins. (repashy calcium plus LoD version is what we do recommend and you would only use it 2 times a month say the 1st and the 15th.

Repticalcium with D3. This one is a plain calcium with D3.

Exo terra multivitamin. This one has D3 and other vitamins.

Ok I had a feeling this was supplement related. This is why I always like to double check supplements. Baby is overdosed on D3 and vitamin A. So suffering from toxicity with both. Unfortunately both of these are fat soluble so they store in the tissues and they will not just flush out like water soluble vitamins. I would make sure baby has a dripper going all day to have access to water. Bad thing is a vet will not be able to assist with a toxicity issue. Nothing they can do either. This just takes time for the levels to reduce. This is why baby is not eating and is closing its eyes.

You need a plain calcium without D3 and nothing else right now. At least for the next 6 weeks you only will use this. We recommend calcium without D3 at all feedings and then a multivitamin (like the repashy calcium plus LoD version) to be used only two times a month say the 1st and the 15th.

About what your using:
Repashy calcium plus. This one is actually higher in levels than what we recommend for a multivitamin. It has calcium with D3 and vitamin A along with other vitamins. (repashy calcium plus LoD version is what we do recommend and you would only use it 2 times a month say the 1st and the 15th.

Repticalcium with D3. This one is a plain calcium with D3.

Exo terra multivitamin. This one has D3 and other vitamins.
Is it common for symptoms to come on so suddenly with an overdose? With the choking incident I was sure that had to be the cause...like maybe his tongue is hurt. And since eyes and tongue work together he's closing his eyes.... not discounting the supplement issue. Obviously that is an issue and I will fix that. I had him out in direct sun today. It was about 83 out. He got hot and started gaping so I put him back in his enclosure. Wondering if I should move him back to the big one that he knows..... but I don't want to keep causing stress either.

I don’t recommend putting chameleons in the direct sun, especially babies. I’ve always had my outdoor enclosures under a trees and speckles of sun may peak through. When my babies hatch, I don’t use any supplements for a week to 10 days and then I start to lightly dust the feeders with calcium with no D3, one feeding a day. I feed three times a day the first month or two. After 8 weeks old I start to very lightly dust one feeding every 2 to 3 weeks with reptivite without d3. I never use D3.

Last edited:
Just going to add to this as they covered almost everything but there is no reason to handle a cham that age every 2-3 days I’d wait till atleast four months & then not as frequent. Remember chams don’t enjoy being held for the most part just stresses them

I'm sorry for your loss. IMHO, breeders should not sale babies that young. In fact, from my understanding, reputable breeders don't sale babies that young. As others here have said they are extremely fragile and require a experienced keeper. Don't overwhelm yourself with guilt, you tried your best to help Donut.

Sadly Donut passed away last night. I feel horribly guilty, frustrated and sad.
I’m so very sorry. 😢 Chameleons that tiny are just so very fragile and imho the breeder shouldn’t be selling them so young. Take your time to grieve, find a way to honor Donut’s memory and let your heart heal. If you are wanting to try again, there are several wonderful breeders who sponsor the forum and we are always here to make sure you are set up for success. (((💗)))

Is it common for symptoms to come on so suddenly with an overdose? With the choking incident I was sure that had to be the cause...like maybe his tongue is hurt. And since eyes and tongue work together he's closing his eyes.... not discounting the supplement issue. Obviously that is an issue and I will fix that. I had him out in direct sun today. It was about 83 out. He got hot and started gaping so I put him back in his enclosure. Wondering if I should move him back to the big one that he knows..... but I don't want to keep causing stress either.
First I just want to say that I am very sorry for your loss. Should you choose to get another one I would recommend one that is at least 3-4 months old and review husbandry with us to make sure you got the right info for success. We have some wonderful breeders that are site sponsors along with some members that breed Panthers.

So yes D3 toxicity can happen like this. You see slow signs like reduced appetite or closing eyes off and on. Unfortunately it can be really hard for an adult cham but a baby it can easily take down because they are so fragile. From my experience I do think this is the cause of decline. This has more info on it https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/d3-poisoning.2401/

Direct sun for babies can be far too much. Rapidly dehydrating them. You would only want indirect sun. Even for adults you want an option for them to move out of the direct sun. When temps outside say 83 you can expect a 10 degree increase easily in direct sun.

I’m so sorry for your loss ❤️ I know how quickly we can get attached and having them for only a short while does not make it any easier. We are here for support

Back
Top Bottom