Baby panther choked, now struggling

GonzosMom

I have a 2 month old panther chameleon. When I got him the breeder said he was about a month old. I'm not sure I believe that and he has barely grown despite eating well. Anyway - Donut was doing very well but I ran out of crickets. My own stupid fault. While waiting for another order I bought the smallest I could from petsmart. He was eating these just fine but on Sunday I found him with a huge cricket in his mouth and he was struggling to get it down. I panicked and went to help. He fell and I scooped him up, removed the cricket and looked in horror as he lay still in my hand. I rubbed his chest until he finally took a breath. Got him under his heat lamp and he came to, got up and walked around. We saw him eat Roly poly bugs that day but nothing since. He is lethargic and sleeps a lot during the day. I know I have the right lights and humidity. He is not my first cham.
What could be going on here? Is this a result of the traumatic experience or were the Roly poly bugs a bad idea? I put fruit flies and smaller crickets in his cage. I did manage to feed him a cricket by hand today and he is drinking. His temp is normal. He pooped normal. But sleeping all day is worrisome. And he seems weak and wobbly when he does walk. I've handled him a lot in my worry and that's probably not good. So leaving him alone now and just hoping he gets over whatever this is. He is so young and fragile. Any advice welcome.

Hi there. I understand that you have the correct things. But may I please double check them with you to make sure? Looking at UVB and Heat light. The temps as well. With really young babies we do not recommend heat lamps because they can dehydrate. Also if he is screen climbing the top of a cage and you do not have the T5HO UVB lifted then this would be putting baby in an overexposure level. If you would want to post a picture of the set up with lights and then the baby today that would be helpful.

I have never heard of a roly poly causing issues. In fact most with bio active set ups deal with chams constantly picking them off. But of course feeder size being extremely small will be important.

Hi there. I understand that you have the correct things. But may I please double check them with you to make sure? Looking at UVB and Heat light. The temps as well. With really young babies we do not recommend heat lamps because they can dehydrate. Also if he is screen climbing the top of a cage and you do not have the T5HO UVB lifted then this would be putting baby in an overexposure level. If you would want to post a picture of the set up with lights and then the baby today that would be helpful.

I have never heard of a roly poly causing issues. In fact most with bio active set ups deal with chams constantly picking them off. But of course feeder size being extremely small will be important.
Hello! Thanks for responding. I have to t5ho uvb but it is not lifted off the top and he does hang upside down underneath it. I will turn the heat lamp off immediately as he does seem dehydrated. He is in the large 24x24x48 enclosure but I bought the smaller one to see if that is better for him until he grows. I have had him 2 months with no issues so I am wondering if his problem is his tongue. He was also trying to eat bugs through clear plastic feeder instead of going around to the front. I have since changed that out but worry if his tongue got stuck he could have hurt it. Or the large cricket hurt it. He will drink and gets up to move around on occasion. But mostly he is laying still with eyes closed and head down. Will attach pics of set up. I have a mister set up for every 3-4 hours 12 seconds long and I spray occasionally throughout the day. Humidity stays around 56 and temp 76. Under heat lamp is 83. But like I said I'll turn that off.

Attachments

• 16952492646881992115665399511195.jpg
    16952492646881992115665399511195.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 20230920_183305.jpg
    20230920_183305.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 16952493117075756665837730974156.jpg
    16952493117075756665837730974156.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 20230920_182700.jpg
    20230920_182700.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 20230920_083408.jpg
    20230920_083408.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 43
  • 20230920_183305.jpg
    20230920_183305.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 54
My goodness he’s such a tiny thing!!!! I won’t be any help I just wanted to say hello and welcome. He is so adorable! You are in good hands here. Miss skittles helped me get straight when I first got here ❤️ good luck with little one, babies are so fragile but my goodness he’s a doll!

My goodness he’s such a tiny thing!!!! I won’t be any help I just wanted to say hello and welcome. He is so adorable! You are in good hands here. Miss skittles helped me get straight when I first got here ❤️ good luck with little one, babies are so fragile but my goodness he’s a doll!
Yes he is absolutely the cutest! I am major stressing over him right now and am so afraid I'll wake up to a dead baby cham. He eyeballed a cricket today and acted like he wanted to shoot his tongue at it but never did. I'm worried he isn't seeing well now either. He isn't focusing his eyes on things or tracking. I'm worried sick. Some good things to focus on though, he pooped on me tonight and it looked normal. He ate a cricket yesterday when I put it on his mouth as he swallowed water. He is drinking.

I'm a newbie so I'm not gonna be much help but make sure you are not using a LED bulb for heat. I think they can damage the eyes of a Chameleon.

Yes he is absolutely the cutest! I am major stressing over him right now and am so afraid I'll wake up to a dead baby cham. He eyeballed a cricket today and acted like he wanted to shoot his tongue at it but never did. I'm worried he isn't seeing well now either. He isn't focusing his eyes on things or tracking. I'm worried sick. Some good things to focus on though, he pooped on me tonight and it looked normal. He ate a cricket yesterday when I put it on his mouth as he swallowed water. He is drinking.
I will reccomend two things. 1: raise your enclosure up. Height equals safety for chams. If possible, make sure the top of the enclosure is above your head. He may be stressed from being low to the ground. 2: I’m going to include a husbandry review form. If you haven’t done this yet, it can be very helpful. Just copy and paste the form and fill in with as much detail as possible. Our babies are so sensitive and the smallest things can cause issues. This may help troubleshoot what is going on. this was probably the most beneficial thing to me when I first got my guy. Keep in mind that we are not vets and can only give advice based on our own experiences. Sleeping during the day is not a good sign, but many things can cause it. I am by no means an expert and I’m new to this myself, but your lights seem to be good and you have live plants which is also good. You’re doing all you can for little one and that’s what’s important

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Just realized I said miss skittles helped me cause I thought she was helping here and beman is actually the one helping you 😂 they have both been a huge part in my journey and are fantastic!

Hi. I’m sorry to say that your baby doesn’t look well at all. :( Babies are very fragile and need for everything to be as perfect as possible or they can decline quickly and pass away. Even with everything perfect, sometimes very young chameleons will pass away for no apparent reason. Because of this, most responsible breeders won’t send them off to their new homes until they are at least 3-4 months old. Also with all chameleons and especially babies, by the time you notice that they aren’t well, it’s often too late. I’m telling you this because I’m not sure if your baby will be able to bounce back and I don’t want to give false hope. There are some things that are more important than others to know. If you can please answer at least the following questions, we can perhaps find the problem and fix it and give baby his best chance.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

Please fill out the info in the form posted above for you by copying and then pasting it into your reply. This will help us to help you.

Also order pin head crickets. Baby is extremely small and needs these as they are the correct size for it. rainbowmealworms sells them. And I believe they still offer overnight shipping.

Also order pin head crickets. Baby is extremely small and needs these as they are the correct size for it. rainbowmealworms sells them. And I believe they still offer overnight shipping.
I have fruit flies in his cage but he isn't interested in anything. :(

I will reccomend two things. 1: raise your enclosure up. Height equals safety for chams. If possible, make sure the top of the enclosure is above your head. He may be stressed from being low to the ground. 2: I’m going to include a husbandry review form. If you haven’t done this yet, it can be very helpful. Just copy and paste the form and fill in with as much detail as possible. Our babies are so sensitive and the smallest things can cause issues. This may help troubleshoot what is going on. this was probably the most beneficial thing to me when I first got my guy. Keep in mind that we are not vets and can only give advice based on our own experiences. Sleeping during the day is not a good sign, but many things can cause it. I am by no means an expert and I’m new to this myself, but your lights seem to be good and you have live plants which is also good. You’re doing all you can for little one and that’s what’s important

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - Panther chameleon, unknown gender, approx 2 months old
  • Handling - once every 2-3 days
  • Feeding - unlimited supply of 1/8" crickets. Gut loaded with carrot and Repashy's bug burger. Dusted in Repashy's calcium without D3 daily, multi vitamin twice a month and calcium with d3 twice a month.
  • Supplements - Dusted in Repashy's calcium without D3 daily, multi vitamin twice a month and calcium with d3 twice a month.
  • Watering - I have a misting system that operates every 3 hours for 12 second intervals. I have seen him drink from leaves and vines.
  • Fecal Description - black with white on one end. not hard but not too soft.
  • History - He has been very healthy up until a choking incident when he got hold of a cricket that was too big. My own stupid fault and believe me I'm beating myself up over it.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - screened enclosure. Recently moved him from a 24x24x48 down to a 16x16x16.
  • Lighting - UVB linear 5.0 from zoomed. Was using a basking bulb from the petstore but turned it off yesterday when I found out it could be bad for him.
  • Temperature - Temp stays between 73 and 76. Lowest overnight temp is 73. Measured with temp/hydrometer
  • Humidity - stays around 56%. How are you creating and maintaining these levels - with misting system and occasional hand misting. What do you use to measure humidity -hydrometer
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? yes - pothos, ti plant, fern
  • Placement - Cage is in bonus room in the house. We pass through but it is quiet 90% of the time. About 10 feet from a shaded window. Not near vents. Recently put him in the smaller cage and raised it higher so he is more eye level with us.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Raleigh, North Carolina

Current Problem - He has been very healthy with no issues. Sadly he got hold of a large cricket and was choking. I managed to get him and remove the cricket. He passed out in my hand and I resusitated him by rubbing his chest. He seemed to make a full recovery that day but the following day he wouldn't eat and slept a lot during the day. He has been drinking and pooping but has not eaten in 4 days minus one tiny cricket I managed to convince him to eat from my fingers. He is deteriorating more and more. When he does open his eyes he is cleaning them a lot.

Best to get to a vet, he may have a cut in his mouth etc.
My concern about taking him to a vet is that he is so small and so stressed I fear just the journey there will do him in. And I'm not sure what a vet can do for such a tiny guy. If it is a cut - what can be done?

Back
Top Bottom