Panther or Veiled?

cushcameleon

After being a member on this forum for almost a week, I have noticed that the most popular chams owned by people on this forum are the veiled and panther chameleon. So out of curiosity, for those of you who own a panther, why did you choose it over a veiled? For those of you who own a veiled, why did you choose it over a panther? For those of you who don't own either, which would you prefer and why? Again, this is just out of curiosity :D

I have a lot of both. My first cham about 12 years ago was a male veiled. It is a great starter cham as they are inexpensive and hardy. Panthers have much nice colors and generally have nicer dispositions than male veileds. They are however, more expensive, but when you see the colors, they are worth it.

i think veiled are a little easier to take care of. plus they get to be one of the bigger of the species i believe. the casque (veil) is pretty impressive too.

panther chameleons are typically the most vibrant though with the extreme colours

its like buying a Basic model car to a fully loaded car the perks are more expensive but the maintenace is the same. for the veiled i was not so much ready for the task cause i was young and unprepaired' but for my pather i spent good money for. I said that i was to learn as much as possiable due to cost and lively hood. exotic breeds are the same the more you may pay the same amout or more care is needed i believe it mostly depend on the the amount of care a person is ready to give.

Well I'm just about closing in on my first week with my rudis cham and everyday my obession with chameleons grows and grows. I am learning tons everyday about chameleon keeping from this forum. Since I first got him I have been continually redesigning his cage and making it better. I plan on posting some pics once I get member privileges to do so. But within the next couple months (probably fall), I am planning on getting a panther, sorry to those of you with the veiled, I just cannot resist their colors :p.

As long as you continue to read the Forums, you will learn. There is a lot of valuable info here and lot of people giving good advice.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Agreed in saying about the forum. learning about the animal is key. The best thing i learned is over suplementing and under suplementing. along with food variation i am very pleased with results.

welcome to the forum! I always wanted a rudis chams LOL.. I have both veileds and panthers.. My obsession was the nosy be.. and I finally finally decided to get one. It all depends on what color you really like.. Most people will start of with veileds because they are way more least expensive.

My first chameleon 6-7 years ago was a veiled. It was the coolest looking animal i've lay eyes on. Love the green color as well! I've never thought of getting a panther because it was out of my price range and I have less knowledge about how or what they would look like.

Today if I were to start over all fresh knowing nothing about chams.. went on this forums to get answers and learn more about chams. I would pick a veiled to start of on. :p

If I was rich and an impulse buyer I would get a panther LOL jk..

After being a member on this forum for almost a week, I have noticed that the most popular chams owned by people on this forum are the veiled and panther chameleon. So out of curiosity, for those of you who own a panther, why did you choose it over a veiled? For those of you who own a veiled, why did you choose it over a panther? For those of you who don't own either, which would you prefer and why? Again, this is just out of curiosity :D

I could not decide...so I got them both!;)

Honestly I didnt even know that you could own a chameleon and had never EVER seen one before in my life!! I was browsing on craigslist at work and I came across a guy tha was selling them like 10 minutes from my house, so I looked around the net, found this forum and decided he had a reasonable deal. He sold me my ambi panther cham with cage, lights and vines all for $285. I went to his house to check them out and feel in love right away. I left his house within 15 minutes of getting there to go to the bank for money to buy him. In my experience so far He is exstremly laid back and almost never fires up at me!(my son on the other hand he hates with a passion)He sarted hand feeding from me around a week after I got him. Adam the guy I bought him from ssaid he had never tried to hand feed him, so I like to tell myself that He just loves me that much:rolleyes:

Im not to sure which I would have picked if I would have known more about them, knowing me I would have gone with the panther anyways becasue they look like a tie dye shirt to me and I so should have been around in the 60s! I would love to own a veiled as well once I know that I can handle more than one, maybe someday I will be able to afford a Parsonii and have the knowledge to care for one:D

I went for the veiled as I couldn't properly provide the conditions for a panther at the time and my experience was minimal. So glad I got my guy as he's really inspired my passion and I'll soon be looking to get myself a panther (or 2 as I might try and breed)!

I imagine there will be time when I have too many chams, but I look forward to it! :D

The care is essentially the same, I've seen panthers and veilds exhibit the same varying dispositions..

Essentially people recommend that you start with a veiled because they're cheaper and thus people seem to equate that with "disposable" for whatever reason.

Its like Iguanas.. one of my close friends owns a reptile specialty store, and he stopped carrying Iguanas years ago, because convincing someone to spend the hundreds of dollars on a proper setup for a $20 lizard proved an impossible task. Everybody wanted to go home with an iguana and a 10 gallon tank.

I went with a veiled because i live in Arkansas and i wasn't sure i could let a panther roam around outside here due to the temps getting in the upper 90s and low 100s in the summer. It is crucial that you let your cham get natural sunlight so that played a factor in my decision. Also, i wasn't sure about the humidity..but now that i monitor the humidity everyday i know it stays over 60% and sometimes even gets to 80% so i could have got by with a panther...and at least let it outside for the springs months before it got too hot. I love all chameleons though each has their own perks. I hope to own carpet chameleons at some point and my next will be an ambilobe or ambanja :)

My first was a Jackson's because I thought it would be better suited than some of the warmer climate species to life in Michigan in a well-ventilated or open habitat (i.e., it's easy enough to keep my gecko warm with his heat lamps in his glass enclosure, but that doesn't work for chams). And I liked the horns. My second was/is a panther, because I wanted to try something different, and after talking with the breeder, I discovered I could maintain the appropriate temperatures for him without undue difficulty.

I, personally, am not aesthetically pleased with the high casque on the veiled chameleon. AJ, Lily, Luie, Lombardi, I love you all and do not want you to take this as a personal affront; I'm sure it's a character defect in me!

Back
Top Bottom