Doing class pets right

Ghostbirb

Chameleon Enthusiast
So I came to this forum over a year ago for my girl being a rescued class pet. Now my mom is going back to being a classroom teacher after a break for years and wants to get a pet for her own class. And now we want to do it right. What animals (preferably reptiles or something like that) would you guys say is best for a class pet. Of course chameleons are off the table as we have seen how that turned out in our girls former home.

Edit: any opinions on a leopard gecko?

Last edited:
Leopard geckos get a no from me. Besides being a bit smaller and more fragile, they are also crepuscular (active at dusk and dawn). I would say a bearded dragon. They are big enough so they can’t get injured as easily as a leopard gecko and are daytime oriented. Plus they are pretty chill with being handled and can be goofballs. They do need a correct set up though - a minimum 4x2x2 enclosure, T5 with ReptiSun 10.0 or Arcadia 12% or 14% (I use the 14% for mine), pretty strong basking light, hides and basking platforms plus decor for enrichment. I’ve spent as much on setting up my beardies as I have my chameleons. I recall hearing very recently (can’t recall where) that beardies are more prone to develop mbd than most other reptiles.
She doesn’t want to just get a hamster?

Leopard geckos get a no from me. Besides being a bit smaller and more fragile, they are also crepuscular (active at dusk and dawn). I would say a bearded dragon. They are big enough so they can’t get injured as easily as a leopard gecko and are daytime oriented. Plus they are pretty chill with being handled and can be goofballs. They do need a correct set up though - a minimum 4x2x2 enclosure, T5 with ReptiSun 10.0 or Arcadia 12% or 14% (I use the 14% for mine), pretty strong basking light, hides and basking platforms plus decor for enrichment. I’ve spent as much on setting up my beardies as I have my chameleons. I recall hearing very recently (can’t recall where) that beardies are more prone to develop mbd than most other reptiles.
She said no to rodents 😅
thanks for your opinion! Ill chat to her about that when she gets home!

What about a crested gecko? They are nocturnal so there wouldn't be any activity during the day unfortunately but they are pretty easy to keep. You could do a larger set up that is bioactive and use that to teach the kids about nature and how things live together in a balance. The spring tails and isopods would also be really fun for the kids. You could even get the cool kind of isopods and teach the kids about the different kinds there are. Just that right there is a whole rabbit hole of things to learn about.

Maybe to keep the kids interested, you could set up a camera at night and show the kids every once in a while so the kids could see the gecko jump around. They are pretty wild jumping from branch to branch. ...Maybe a live feed at night if thats allowed in the school?? I dunno. Just an idea.

We will think about it, I think we will make a list of ideas on what we would want out of the animal (like how friendly or active they are) and how we can best care for them and then probably decide from there. Bearded dragons and Geckos are one of the main interests.

We are also kind of hoping when we decide to adopt one from our local reptile rescue!

Last edited:
We will think about it, I think we will make a list of ideas on what we would want out of the animal (like how friendly or active they are) and how we can best care for them and then probably decide from there. Bearded dragons and Geckos are one of the main interests.
Let us know what you decide. It might be a fun journey for you to share here so we can see the progress.

So my mom doesn’t really plan on handling the pet much, and that we don’t have over 1000 to spend on a bearded dragon enclosure. Do you know any good resources on leopard geckos and other geckos like that?

I know you didn't ask me but I like these guys for different kinds of Geckos. They also provide care sheets and have a really good YouTube channel where they go more in-depth on care and enclosure set up. TikisGeckos
So my mom doesn’t really plan on handling the pet much, and that we don’t have over 1000 to spend on a bearded dragon enclosure. Do you know any good resources on leopard geckos and other geckos like that?

The enclosure is going to be the most expensive part. These look really nice and the price is the best you’ll find for a new enclosure. https://dubiaroaches.com/collections/bearded-dragon-enclosures or you could make your own (is basically just a partial box) - Lowes has pre cut plywood. https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=pre cut plywood The most expensive and challenging part would be acrylic doors and a screen top.

So I came to this forum over a year ago for my girl being a rescued class pet. Now my mom is going back to being a classroom teacher after a break for years and wants to get a pet for her own class. And now we want to do it right. What animals (preferably reptiles or something like that) would you guys say is best for a class pet. Of course chameleons are off the table as we have seen how that turned out in our girls former home.

Edit: any opinions on a leopard gecko?
I would personally go with something very simple that require less maintenance, and won't be constantly scared of being in the class room during the day with the kids checking it out.

Maybe something like an anole or even something like a hamster.

I say Anoles because they're relatively low maintenance for a reptile. Pose no real dangers, and they could be cool for the kids to look at. They can of course be shy but won't get quite as stressed as say a chameleon would.

They're mostly inexpensive and easy. Don't require the craziest of setups or attention. Just my opinion! Good luck.

edit: Now I am thinking when you say "class pet" maybe it's something she wants the kids to handle sometimes?? If that is the case then you do not want anoles lol they're fast. I'd say if that is the case, I agree with the bearded dragon. They seem to be really cool with being handled and should be just fine in that environment.

If reptile I would say a bearded dragon... They are friendly and goofy. They tolerate and will interact with people. Also your not putting in tons of moisture for them like chams or certain geckos. But I would keep it at home until it gets size on it.

If reptile I would say a bearded dragon... They are friendly and goofy. They tolerate and will interact with people. Also your not putting in tons of moisture for them like chams or certain geckos. But I would keep it at home until it gets size on it.
I second the bearded dragon. They are basically just a silly house dog. Very tolerant of kids

What about a crested gecko? They are nocturnal so there wouldn't be any activity during the day unfortunately but they are pretty easy to keep. You could do a larger set up that is bioactive and use that to teach the kids about nature and how things live together in a balance. The spring tails and isopods would also be really fun for the kids. You could even get the cool kind of isopods and teach the kids about the different kinds there are. Just that right there is a whole rabbit hole of things to learn about.

Maybe to keep the kids interested, you could set up a camera at night and show the kids every once in a while so the kids could see the gecko jump around. They are pretty wild jumping from branch to branch. ...Maybe a live feed at night if thats allowed in the school?? I dunno. Just an idea.
This one sounds good, I have one and the kids are fine with it.

I agree with bearded. If its gonna be around kids. I feel like geckos, there is a chance that they can drop their tail and that might cause a scene.

My other suggestion would be like anoles, they reminds me of little velociraptors.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom