Pan Flute Supports for Ledges

Klyde O'Scope

Chameleon Enthusiast
These don't only apply to DL, but any ledge type supports mounted a similar distance from the enclosure wall. (Approx. 7/8" to 1")—aluminum, wood, PVC, whatever...

I confess, I looked at the way DS suggested for getting the most from their ledges, and my first thought was,
"You gotta be kidding—there's got to be a better way."

IDK if it's "better"—I'll let history decide that—but different—and it works.

I needed a way to support my basking perch above the height DS (arbitrarily?) decided the ledges should be.
Scrounging around, I found some 1/2" PVC pipe that wasn't doing anything, so I cut some to the sizes I needed, and glued them together like this. I call them Pan Flutes because they look like... Pan Flutes.

1602777588858.jpeg

They slide down behind the ledges near perfectly, and the short center pipe supports the basking perch at exactly the right height below the UVB & basking lights. Right now that looks like this...

1602777738927.jpeg

It's also very easy to take "branches" down if necessary for cleaning, remodeling, whatever...

This idea is expandable to 5 pipes across between the ledge supports (if the same schedule 40 I used); if you can find some pipe with thinner walls, you can fit 6 pipes across. Heights can be whatever you need for your enclosure, support multiple "branches", and the short pieces I used for holding them up can be utilized the same way (at different heights/lengths) in a configuration with 4 to 6 pipes across. Pipes can even be extended below the ledges, leaving gaps or holes to support even more branches at different heights. IOW, ladders for supporting branches can be built this way. Zip-ties/wire not required, but advisability may depend on the stability of your configuration.

With a little thought and planning, an entire enclosure worth of "branches" can be supported with these, and if necessary, wires or zip-ties can be used on the short pieces, or small holes can be drilled through the pipes to accommodate same.

This idea should work on mesh enclosures as well, provided there's something backing the ledges, but I haven't had an opportunity to test that.

They have the ledges mounted at 10 inches down because a 6% or 5.0 bulb in a single bulb fixture produces a UVI level of about 3 at that distance. So having it higher then the 10 inch drop makes it so that people put branches that are far too close to the UVB.

I get what you're saying, but enclosure configurations can & will vary depending on several factors.

Mine measure 10½". Add the 1½" above the screen to the actual bulb (See Simple UVB fixture supports), and that's a foot. The center of my basking perch is at the intersection of 2 slightly inclined branches to provide gradients. When I first figured it, I aimed for your 9" distance; to get that, I had to raise one end to compensate for the drop in the other end so the middle is at 9". My low ends are using the holes in the ledge rails.

I may build another set to accommodate my actual UVI readings, and if they change over time, I can swap out the supports for these originals very easily.

Actually, these things work so well, I'll be building quite a few. :)

UPDATE:
A little further along....

Yesterday I picked up some more ½" PVC (Home Despot had it on sale—$0.23/ft.)
and an inexpensive PVC cutter (easier than the pipecutter I've been using.

Here's the (tentative) design I came up with that should provide support options at every inch between the bottom & top side ledges, and a few above (like I have now).

1603808287449.jpeg

The plan is to make 2 of these (mirror images)—one for each side.

If I (or anyone) had a wooden enclosure, the same kind of ladder (or better design—different sitch) could (probably more easily) be built and attached directly to the walls, though I'm not sure how well the wood (even with sealing) would stand up to misting, etc. over the long haul. No problem with PVC; the ledges & walls of my enclosure are PVC anyway. :)

I'll post a pic of the real thing in situ if it isn't too embarrassingly badly assembled... :rolleyes:

Here's the complete set (L&R) of supports...

1603908919065.png

...and installed in the enclosure...

1603909208977.jpeg

1603909413492.png

The paper is temporary in case of any late-curing PVC cement (Don't want any pipe welded to the enclosure walls! ? )

UVI & Distance:

In theory, this should've been easy-peasy... in theory...
It wasn't terribly difficult setting up a measuring stick; getting consistent meaningful readings was more of a challenge, and snapping a pic was nigh impossible. I finally had to ask the Missus for some help...

1603913764445.jpeg

Finally got this pic @ 12.5" (the readings @ 12" ranged between 2.9 & 3.1—so I'm calling it 3.0 @ 12")

The readings I got were taken w/ a Solarmeter 6.5 through screen
The UV-B is an Arcadia T5 6% w/ less than 24 hrs. on it.
Fixture is the Chinese T5 w/ reflector sold under several names (Arcadia Pro T5, Biodude T5HO, Carolina Custom Cages T5HO, Hydrofarm "Jumpstart", Sunblaster T5HO Nanotech, Vivarium Electronics T5, et al.) all made by Shenzen Lighting Co. (OEM)
Distances from screen to Solarmeter read directly in inches; there is an additional 1" between screen & T5 linear bulb on top of the screen.

I tried using the table tool on this editor, but I seem to be all thumbs today. ?
Some key measurements were:
Distance_____UVI
____6"_______5.0
___12"_______3.0
___20"_______1.5

I'll stop here for now... :)

I like all your ideas. They’re awesome! I’ll see if I can get a picture of Eustis today.
Thank you. There are a lot of "tinkerers" (engineers & designers by avocation) on this forum with some great ideas! (y)(y)

“I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” -Thomas Alva Edison

Perfect timing!! I’m moving my boy Ricki to a temporary 2x2x4 enclosure to allow me to redo his 2x4x4 Dragon Strand. I was going to put the eggcrate light covers like you have on the back wall) on all sides because the poor fellow keeps trying to climb the pvc walls. So I’ve been thinking about other adaptions I could do while I’m at it. I really like your idea to give more flexibility in branch placement. It also adds a little design element to the flat pvc walls. Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom