Outside cage and RATS!

Julirs

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

This morning I went outside on my screen porch where I have one of my Oustalets in a Reptarium on top of a plastic shelf. On the shelf underneath was a chewed up Dubia. We have fruit rats all of the time here, but I guess they were desperate. In the cage there were always about 5 LARGE Dubia that Oscar never seemed to get. I thought maybe one got out and a Rat got it. I guess this morning I did not notcie the huge hole a rat chewed in one end of the Reptarium. All of the Dubia are gone but Oscar Oustalet is fine. The rats could have chewed him up in his sleep, but instead they ate the roaches. Guess I am off to get some rat traps! :mad::mad::mad:

Glad Oscar is okay!
Do you know how they are getting into your screened porch? If you can keep them out in the first place, that's better than traps

reptariums implies screen or plastic mesh , its not just rats you have to worry about , but , racoons, ferrets, weasels, crows, snakes, possums, and a whole host of others including ants , any outside arraingement exposed to open air, should at least be metal mesh of some kind and have an ant barrier of some kind (like a perimeter of glue paper or vaseline) a cheap $50 wireless tv cam also would be a good precaution as would a motion detector (you could use the motion detector to trigger the tv cam and have it all hooked up to a old style tv with the volume turned up, your picture comes on, you hear the volume, and you at least know if your critters are under attack by other large critters ), outdoor araingements often go without problems for some time , but now rats have learned there is a food source there, they will be back, if you rat trap them, then that in turn may attract other animals (both the bait and the dead rats ), if you take your animals safety for granted, without the proper preparations, then one morning you will wake up and find more than dubias gone

Yikes. How fortunate. I had a similar encounter with an otter-sized rat in the chameleon building a few weeks back-- I had to rip out all walls and replace the floor to find the hole. The rat (s) devoured over 500 crickets and could barely move when it was caught in the act.

Glad everyone is fine.

Cheers,

Fabián

Juli.. got a pic of the crime scene?

I have to run and get camera batteries-so I will take some pics shortly. I have had the chams out there for 2 years with no issues what so ever. I have 3 cages outside the screen porch and never an issue with them either. With the 2 dogs always looking out the glass sliding doors and barking at anything that moves I guess it has kept the vermin away.

We have a problem with cats ihere..
They are much more annoying than rats. and, much smarter too. No matter what you do, they always seems to be elusive enough to get close to what they want. There is one extremely fat cat that eyeing my veiled every time. :( and my big dog is a wuss. He get owned by her. Now, my chams always under surveillance whenever outside.

BTW, I sent you a PM :)

Crime scene:

Where the cage was sitting:
DSCN4344.jpg

The hole:
DSCN4340.jpg

DSCN4342.jpg

The other cages outside the screen porch:
DSCN4346.jpg

Hey Julirs.
what size is that screen cage to the right..with the Oustalets chameleon in it?(silver cage)

I am never going to sleep! I have rat-fears! Oscar however does not seem worried!
DSCN4347.jpg

And I am thinking the "Guard Dog" is basically worthless!
DSCN4348.jpg

My bull mastiff (looked like your dog only a bit shorter and bigger head) was scared of my bunny SLIPPERS.
Jack Russells are good at killing rats.

Back
Top Bottom