BSFL eat everything

I told my mom, who was watching my chameleons while we were out of town for a week, that they were maggots and she freaked out. Hahahaha so funny....
Someone at a restaurant told me they changed the name from Rockfish to Chilean Sea Bass and sales went up astronomically. No one wants to eat something called rockfish but Chilean Sea Bass oooo that sounds fancy. Maggots and larvae. Same thing. We people are so easily manipulated haha

I don’t delude myself…bsfl and other larva are indeed maggots. However, there’s tolerable maggots and intolerable maggots. The ones from regular flies…like I find sometimes in my outside garbage can - 🤢 Those are a big no, no, no! Bsfl are okay. Waxworms look similar and those are ok too.

I get my BSFL from joshs frogs. I do not gutload them. They come packed in some dirt/whatever that I believe they eat and don't need to be gutloaded from my understanding.
That’s what I thought too. I was gonna order from josh frogs but their shipping for crickets was so much $. Ima order from there though for everything else. The BSFL from dubia pupate way too quick. I ordered from another site (forget the name) and they lasted forever before pupating I gotta find that place again haha does josh frogs have dubia, horned worms, and wax worms too?

This is how Spike eats. He picks throughout the day. He seems to really enjoy hunting lol so I love keeping black solider flies in his enclosure flying around / sitting on leafs.
That’s the thing I don’t think Rex really hunts for anything bc some crickets, roaches, and the flies are always in there and I never seen him eat them but they do disappear time to time or I find them dead on the bottom. He used to eat from my hand or tweezers but he won’t anymore. Idk I haven’t handled him yet either maybe once but I could tell he wanted back in fast so I did. I’ve seen him eat a fly once. And crickets that walk around on the screen but I doubt if I put BSFL in plant dirt he’ll get em. But maybe I’m wrong. Do they hunt/eat at night at all? Bc I do notice things going missing once I wake up and turn his lights on and never know if he ate em or they got out. I have a lot of plants so it’s hard for me to even find anything.

I don’t delude myself…bsfl and other larva are indeed maggots. However, there’s tolerable maggots and intolerable maggots. The ones from regular flies…like I find sometimes in my outside garbage can - 🤢 Those are a big no, no, no! Bsfl are okay. Waxworms look similar and those are ok too.
The only thing is maggots only eat rotting flesh. These guys eat anything lol

That’s what I thought too. I was gonna order from josh frogs but their shipping for crickets was so much $. Ima order from there though for everything else. The BSFL from dubia pupate way too quick. I ordered from another site (forget the name) and they lasted forever before pupating I gotta find that place again haha does josh frogs have dubia, horned worms, and wax worms too?
I believe they have all of those! I always get my crickets from joshs frogs. The shipping is expensive but I feel like it's a good deal overall and they're all alive when I get them. Except maybe 1-2 here or there. I love dealing with them lol I try to get ALL my bugs there tbh.

Same here, exactly. And tbh since I've begun handling BSFL many moons ago, I actually have a totally different view of maggots lol I actually prefer working with them over some of these other bugs.

Though I must say I am pretty lucky Spike likes silkworms (easy), crickets (easy but I am psycho and constantly clean them), and BSFL (NO maintenance).

nothing to gross or anything I don't mind touching if I need to.
I'm at the level of 'dubia roaches aren't gross' so...I dunno.....

I believe they have all of those! I always get my crickets from joshs frogs. The shipping is expensive but I feel like it's a good deal overall and they're all alive when I get them. Except maybe 1-2 here or there. I love dealing with them lol I try to get ALL my bugs there tbh.
Yeah I’d like a site where I can buy everything. I get BSFL, horned worms, crickets, wax worms, super worms, dubia, and once got silk worms he liked em. I’ve been buying crickets from local pet store (not a chain like Petco it’s family owned) and gut load them myself.

I usually order my crickets from Josh's Frogs and all other bugs from Dubia.com. The silks I get from Costal Silkworms or FramsChams.

Yeah I’d like a site where I can buy everything. I get BSFL, horned worms, crickets, wax worms, super worms, dubia, and once got silk worms he liked em. I’ve been buying crickets from local pet store (not a chain like Petco it’s family owned) and gut load them myself.
I've been getting Spikes Silkworms from @FramsChams , where he came from 🥰 They actually have really good deals on them imo! But yeah everything else I go to joshs frogs. I have tried some other suppliers (esp when silkworms are hard to find), but I try to keep it simple for myself.

I mistakenly put some super worms in my BSFL cup and the super worms destroyed the larvae. I mean…it wasn’t the worst thing because neither of my chams will touch BSFL so then I fed them those super worms. Maybe my new high calcium superworm gutload!

Oh and also, does anyone else get so giddy when they see a white superworm that’s just recently shed and is super soft? Yoink! It’s your turn to be eaten buddy!
Yep same with white juicy dubias. Who gets the treat today lol

I've been getting Spikes Silkworms from @FramsChams , where he came from 🥰 They actually have really good deals on them imo! But yeah everything else I go to joshs frogs. I have tried some other suppliers (esp when silkworms are hard to find), but I try to keep it simple for myself.
Same it’s tough finding somewhere that has everything. How are the BSFL from josh’s? The ones I got from dubia both times pupated within a few days. My first time ordering I think was from reptilianarts.com and they lasted a very long time before pupating I could’ve got 1000 and had them last. I’m afraid to get 1000 from other places bc I order 250 and don’t even finish those. He also lost his appetite for them I think. He doesn’t run to them but like I said I keep them in the bowl and I’ll wake up and a bunch are missing or gone. So I guess he eats them when he’s hungry and nothing else to eat.

Ima not give him any wax worms for awhile I think I gave him an addiction to them feeding 4 days in a row lol he’s not even interested in the horned worms which he used to salivate over. Lol. At least I know he’s eating. Crickets disappear as well as worms and roaches I just never see him eat really.

It looks like Frams is out of stock. Coastal has small silkworms. How fast would you say they grow in that cup? Looks like a similar setup to hornworms

It looks like Frams is out of stock. Coastal has small silkworms. How fast would you say they grow in that cup? Looks like a similar setup to hornworms
The silk worms I got (only got them once) came very small where I didn’t feed to him until they grew. And they grew very fast. They’re in a similar cup to the horned worms and grow pretty much just as fast but don’t get as big. But at the time two of them grew too big for him to eat. Wasn’t sure if they bite like the horned worms so didn’t risk it and just put them outside.

Same it’s tough finding somewhere that has everything. How are the BSFL from josh’s? The ones I got from dubia both times pupated within a few days. My first time ordering I think was from reptilianarts.com and they lasted a very long time before pupating I could’ve got 1000 and had them last. I’m afraid to get 1000 from other places bc I order 250 and don’t even finish those. He also lost his appetite for them I think. He doesn’t run to them but like I said I keep them in the bowl and I’ll wake up and a bunch are missing or gone. So I guess he eats them when he’s hungry and nothing else to eat.

Ima not give him any wax worms for awhile I think I gave him an addiction to them feeding 4 days in a row lol he’s not even interested in the horned worms which he used to salivate over. Lol. At least I know he’s eating. Crickets disappear as well as worms and roaches I just never see him eat really.
I prefer them from Joshs. I had them from dubias before and they were fine but idk they put them in some kind of bran and I feel like the 'dirt' (whatever it actually is lol) is better for them to last. I really don't know but they are very 'lively' from joshs frogs and a good size. Although I think I am about to start ordering large as Spike is growing :) He has been eating medium this whole time.

Damn that stinks! They just had them. And they had them for a while. I should be good for another week or so, so I hope they get them back in soon.

They dont eat the exoskeleton. They eat them from the inside! They just dod the same to a superworm left in the feeder.
yeah I figured the exoskeleton is why they didn’t touch the roaches or superworms. But that horned worm had a bad night I’ll tell ya that lol. I had to pick 3 of em out its head from its hollow body. Was so gross haha

Back
Top Bottom