SUPERWORM AWARENESS TIME

Raymond1412

Established Member
I know a lot of you feed your chameleons super worms. But, are they healthy, SAFE, or SUPER for your chameleon? Let's take a look.
Superworms are more like a treat, and you should only feed them once in a while due to the high amounts of fat in them. They can also BITE your chameleon, which can cause your chameleon to not like super worms anymore. (This is from personal experience.) Depending on the size of your superworm and the cup/container you putting them in, they can crawl out and get loose in the enclosure. And that isn't even the WORST PART. When the super worm gets loose in the enclosure, and it's left alone for two weeks or so, it turns into a SUPER BEETLE!!!!! Now that you have a super beetle in your enclosure, you might be thinking: "What is the worst that can happen? It's only a beetle" Although super bettles are chameleon-friendly, this can be a hazard to your chameleon. Superbeetles have a really hard shell. And I mean like REALLY HARD. The chameleon's airway is in the upper part of their throat, so if your chammie were to swallow one, depending on the size of the beetle and chameleon, he/she could choke and die. I used to feed superworms, and at least 10 got out of the bowl and turned into super beetles. Catching them all was not fun, and I don't even mind bugs!!! I've heard this can also happen with mealworms, but Idk why you would be feeding mealworms in the first place!!!
I have included some pictures and a link on why superworms are NOT SUPER. I hope some people have found this helpful!!

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/are-super-worms-ok.156285/

s-l1600.jpg
download (1).jpeg
NOT my pictures

Great read!

I fed Super worms once, my cham got addicted to them and went on a hunger strike. Now if I give him a treat, it will be Hornworms or Silkworms.
Awesome information on the beetles.
My first chameleon got addicted to them, and I think one of them bit him, and that's when I stopped feeding super worms. Silkworms are a fan-favorite around here!!

Mine is currently hunger striking his dubias. He will eat one or two, but he snaps up anything else offered. I ordered more bsfl to see if I can change things up and get him some variety that's NOT superworms. I had a beetle pop up yesterday, likely from a superworm lost into the plants at the bottom of the enclosure. I panicked, pulled it out and destroyed it. Hard pass on those guys.

Mine is currently hunger striking his dubias. He will eat one or two, but he snaps up anything else offered. I ordered more bsfl to see if I can change things up and get him some variety that's NOT superworms. I had a beetle pop up yesterday, likely from a superworm lost into the plants at the bottom of the enclosure. I panicked, pulled it out and destroyed it. Hard pass on those guys.
Idk how the bugs always get lost? I lost a just-shedded dubia yesterday, so It shouldn't be hard to find, but still no luck. BSFL are the best!!! All of my chammies love them and they are so easy to maintain and feed with other bugs!!

Idk how the bugs always get lost? I lost a just-shedded dubia yesterday, so It shouldn't be hard to find, but still no luck. BSFL are the best!!! All of my chammies love them and they are so easy to maintain and feed with other bugs!!
My only thought is it got into the dirt through the drainage holes in the potted plants on the bottom and hid out. Who knows? 🤷‍♀️ BSFL are my fave because even as flies, Paulie loves them and then he gets to hunt them off the plants/screen.

My only thought is it got into the dirt through the drainage holes in the potted plants on the bottom and hid out. Who knows? 🤷‍♀️ BSFL are my fave because even as flies, Paulie loves them and then he gets to hunt them off the plants/screen.
Yes!!! And they don't jump lol

If you want another reason not to like superworms I linked a story up above

How did you get them to love bsfl? My guy will only eat if I place on a leaf right in front of him, he doesn’t eat roaches, super worms, or bsfl out of a feeder, he only will always eat crickets 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom