Saw my baby panther chameleon shoot tongue at a leaf

Tnest

So i got my baby panther chameleon almost three months old, five days ago i believe and i have not seen him eat. He is too scared to take food from the cup but i've had a few crickets and black soldier fly larva escape from the feeding cup so i'm not sure if he ate one of those, but i was observing him and he was looking at one leaf for a long time, then shot his tongue at it and chewed something then left. I tried to see inside his mouth and couldn't tell if he maybe ate one of the larva but i couldn't see on the leaf he was looking at, i also walked up to his enclosure the other day and saw him chewing and got worried about that too. Would he be doing this for no reason? Or do you think he actually ate something? I'm a new owner so i'm always super paranoid. I attached some photos of him too just in case because i want to be sure he's healthy

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 58
  • unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 62
This is normal behavior. THey will shoot at insects and water off plants. But the fact that he is still not eating is a concern. Are you feeding him the same way the breeder did?

This is normal behavior. THey will shoot at insects and water off plants. But the fact that he is still not eating is a concern. Are you feeding him the same way the breeder did?
I believe so, the breeder held the feeding cup up to him and he ate, i actually just tried to feed him now with the feeding cup the breeder used but he only ate one cricket, though i am super relieved hes showing interest in food. I stood there for a while after to see if he'd eat more but i think he doesnt like that im looking at him, he's very shy and scared of me still but i left the feeder cup in there with a few crickets if he will want to eat when im not around

I believe so, the breeder held the feeding cup up to him and he ate, i actually just tried to feed him now with the feeding cup the breeder used but he only ate one cricket, though i am super relieved hes showing interest in food. I stood there for a while after to see if he'd eat more but i think he doesnt like that im looking at him, he's very shy and scared of me still but i left the feeder cup in there with a few crickets if he will want to eat when im not around
Ok we already went over what to do with this in your other thread I beleive... But you want to fill the cup so there is a ton of movement and so he is able to shoot down into it and see the movement from the branch.

Ok we already went over what to do with this in your other thread I beleive... But you want to fill the cup so there is a ton of movement and so he is able to shoot down into it and see the movement from the branch.
yep i put like 7 little crickets in there so there was lots of movement. He kept looking at it but I'm not sure if hes scared of me looming over him

yep i put like 7 little crickets in there so there was lots of movement. He kept looking at it but I'm not sure if hes scared of me looming over him
Honestly I would put more than 7. This is how I have been able to get all my brand new babies to immediately start eating. 2-3 dozen tiny crickets and they go after them.

Back
Top Bottom