One last time before I go the PETCO in NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nydiam2020

Hello Everyone :)
Before I head to PETCO and get my own chameleon, I decided to ask one more time. This is for a student project and the idea is to record a short video of the Chameleon walking as straight as possible over a branch for about 3 feet. The camera can be up to 10 feet away to avoid stressing the animal (I can use zoom in feature). I'm located in the New York City area. I can come to you, I'll bring my HD camera and lights if than is OK. Of course, I'll share the video with you so you will have a long lasting memory of your pet and I can complete my student project. *No money exchange*.

It doesn't take much research to find out that Petco is a garbage place to get reptiles. Thought you respected them as being beautiful creatures? If you do(I'll give you benefit of the doubt), then don't support Petco. Them and petsmart are basically large scale animal abusers.

LOL Kyle in full I hate the world display!

That would be the only color he would display for the video lol full blown fired up.

Just read through the OPs other thread... I am not going to have my chameleon used in a video with artificial color changing... I absolutely hate those BS chameleon videos showing these animals changing to every color under the rainbow...

Also as an older member of the forum, I can say that the only time one of the more senior members will get a chameleon from PetCo, PetSmart, Petland or etcetera, is to rescue the animal. I will admit, my current cham is a PetSmart rescue, but I bought him after getting the manager of that location to no longer bring in chameleons as they cannot care for them properly, to which they agreed. Regularly go back to check and they've kept their word for 2 years now.

Also as an older member of the forum, I can say that the only time one of the more senior members will get a chameleon from PetCo, PetSmart, Petland or etcetera, is to rescue the animal. I will admit, my current cham is a PetSmart rescue, but I bought him after getting the manager of that location to no longer bring in chameleons as they cannot care for them properly, to which they agreed. Regularly go back to check and they've kept their word for 2 years now.

If you're paying for it, it's not a rescue. It's a reminder for them to restock their chameleon inventory.

-an older member

If you're paying for it, it's not a rescue. It's a reminder for them to restock their chameleon inventory.

-an older member

I know it's not technically a rescue, but I go back monthly to check, and they have not brought them in again. Actually, I've managed to get a good majority of the pet stores in my city to stop bringing them in, wasn't hard to do, reptiles aren't a big thing where I live so a lot of the pet stores would have the chams die before they were able to sell them. So for most, it was a financially better move for them to bring in more snakes and leopard geckos, rather than continue with chameleons. Also have a really popular reptile educator in the city called Calgary Reptile Parties. Basically it's an educational presentation about reptiles, and I know the owner personally, he does use chameleons, but only ones that aren't stressed out with handling, he puts the animals welfare before his businesses welfare. He does make it very apparent that chameleons are not an easy reptile to keep. I can honestly say that out of all the pet stores the city only three carry chams anymore, J and J reptiles, Pisces pet Emporium and Got Reptiles. And they generally only carry veiled and panthers, the occasional pygmy or carpet chameleon.

So while reptiles aren't big in my city, we have a community dedicated to proper education for reptile care and the nature of the city itself lends towards people helping one another, so it's really easy to get the managers of the chain pet stores to stop bringing in the more advanced reptile species. Most of the PetSmarts in my city just stock beardies, leopard geckos, salamanders, and corn snakes.

On a sidenote, getting supplies for a chameleon cage isn't the easiest in Calgary, hence why most of my setup is either handbuilt or I had to get it shipped in. Thankfully Pisces started to bring in MistKings. But because it's Canada, roaches are a no go.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, how often in the states do you see a cham in a chain pet store? Because in my city it is basically never now. I know because I keep track of which locations get their bug shipments so I always get the freshest bugs.

Also shows because when I take my cham out into public, people identify it as a gecko or iguana. Just aren't common critters here. At our the Calgary reptile expo, I met one other cham owner over the two days of the event.

Out of curiosity, how often in the states do you see a cham in a chain pet store? Because in my city it is basically never now.

Also shows because when I take my cham out into public, people identify it as a gecko or iguana. Just aren't common critters here. At our the Calgary reptile expo, I met one other cham owner over the two days of the event.

They are in both my local stores. The petco does an *ok* job, but the petsmart is torture. They keep them in the very bottom enclosure. I've told them, repeatedly, that this is stressful for the cham. Even "reported" it to BBB. Still there.

Maybe I'll try honey instead of breathing fire when I talk to them next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom