One last time before I go the PETCO in NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Beman is a Petco boy. I got him after they had him only a week... he came home healthy and parasite free. I know this is not the situation that most experience but I would not have found this hobby if I had not found him. While I think many chain stores do a very poor job I have seen no better at my mom and pop pet store with their chams. The lighting is sub par and the chams are housed poorly. And I am going to leave my overall experience at that.

Also as an older member of the forum, I can say that the only time one of the more senior members will get a chameleon from PetCo, PetSmart, Petland or etcetera, is to rescue the animal. I will admit, my current cham is a PetSmart rescue, but I bought him after getting the manager of that location to no longer bring in chameleons as they cannot care for them properly, to which they agreed. Regularly go back to check and they've kept their word for 2 years now.

Rescue with the word bought is not a rescue. Rescues from petco are when they call you and give you the animal free of charge. Not trying ti criticize to terribly especially if they actually stopped stocking them because of you, but petsmart only saw it a transaction.

Ultimately I think it depends on the nature of the city you live in, Calgary is a very friendly city, to the point where if you are a tourist, you can literally ask almost any Calgarian for help, and they'll help you. Basically it's a city filled with a majority of people who are caring and giving, hence why I've had success with keeping chams out of the chain stores, is because the managers of the stores will actually listen to the customer. People say sorry to each other if they just bump shoulders while walking here.

My Beman is a Petco boy. I got him after they had him only a week... he came home healthy and parasite free. I know this is not the situation that most experience but I would not have found this hobby if I had not found him. While I think many chain stores do a very poor job I have seen no better at my mom and pop pet store with their chams. The lighting is sub par and the chams are housed poorly. And I am going to leave my overall experience at that.

Why I tell people to stick their nose up at everyone. Even mom and pop shops are sometimes just there for the $$$. Making money is a necessity but not at the cost of abusing the animals. I see neglect all the time at the reptile expos. People who claim to be well informed caretaker's can be just as bad if not worse then petco and petsmart.

Rescue with the word bought is not a rescue. Rescues from petco are when they call you and give you the animal free of charge. Not trying ti criticize to terribly especially if they actually stopped stocking them because of you, but petsmart only saw it a transaction.
I agree, from the corporate perspective, it's just another sale, but on the local scale, it was a rescue, my guy had been there for a while and they knew they weren't caring for him properly and were already considering to stop bringing them in, I just gave the last push to go through with it by educating them that everything in their setup for Cham's was wrong. But I know from on the forums, that generally isn't the case, I was only successful because of the overall nature of the city I live in and that reptiles aren't the biggest thing in my city, most people have dogs, cats fish or other small animals. Also it's very common in Alberta for businesses that sell animals to be shut down and the animals rescued if they aren't in proper care.

This is all heart and soul because I’m a girl lol . My France’s was a pet smart baby . We paid for her so no she was not a rescue . She was sick from day one , they told us she was a boy at 2 month old . She was a pretty little girl whom was 6+ month . She had my heart from day one and I would do what I did a billion times over for that little girl . Everything I learned was because Of her care . However would I walk into a Petsmart or Petco today and buy another absolutely not .

This is all heart and soul because I’m a girl lol . My France’s was a pet smart baby . We paid for her so no she was not a rescue . She was sick from day one , they told us she was a boy at 2 month old . She was a pretty little girl whom was 6+ month . She had my heart from day one and I would do what I did a billion times over for that little girl . Everything I learned was because Of her care . However would I walk into a Petsmart or Petco today and buy another absolutely not .

Same here, although it isn't an option for me anymore because of me.

She would have turned 4 last week xox . She is so very missed .

Ultimately what it comes down to when purchasing a cham is knowing the difference between a healthy cham and an unhealthy one. A well reputed breeder will almost always have healthy chams, anything else, and it's hit and miss.

Wait, so you're going to Petco to buy a chameleon so you can do a video? What are your plans for after the video?
I am hoping this would be a one or two days ordeal, with no other option, I will have to return the chameleon once he or she had walked the 3 feet branch. I rather have a person that knows how to handle him/her since I'm very afraid of hurting it in any way but, I think I was just being naive hoping someone here could help :( I honestly hate the idea of torturing an animal, it is not my intention, I have been reading about it, I'll do my best.

@Nydiam2020 ,you do have a choice, but I'm going to guess that you left this until last minute and are now rushing to obtain a chameleon to finish your project without fully considering the consequences of your actions. I do not support getting a chameleon solely for the purpose of what you need it for, without having any intention to properly care for the animal or ensure that you are not putting an animal through unneeded stress. I have always been of the opinion that when you purchase an animal, you do so with the intention of giving it the best care possible and know what is within your scope of abilities, the animals welfare always comes first to me over anything else, so if I know I am not capable of caring for a particular animal, I will not acquire it.

And had you read through the thread, you would have noticed that @Graves923 ,had given you a workable solution.

I am hoping this would be a one or two days ordeal, with no other option, I will have to return the chameleon once he or she had walked the 3 feet branch. I rather have a person that knows how to handle him/her since I'm very afraid of hurting it in any way but, I think I was just being naive hoping someone here could help :( I honestly hate the idea of torturing an animal, it is not my intention, I have been reading about it, I'll do my best.
Please please don't... It will be extremely stressful on the cham and then when you return it they will put it in a holding room in back in a crappy cage for days before putting it into the semi better crappy display cage.

Your in NY there has to be local reptile stores that would either know keepers or be willing to let you film theirs.

I know your intentions have shifted in your project but if you do this then the intention is just as bad as the initial one. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom