Gasping at night

@Lindacham I would contact the breeder... Hopefully you already have when all this first started. Good luck to you and I am sorry for your experience. With an RI there is little we can do to help.

This comment was uncalled for and not how we help people here in the forum. Please remember that we use kindness not insults. Or simply if you can not say something nice then don't say it at all.

If you were in a bad situation like the OP is you would not want to be told something like this. Just because your situation financially may be different does not make it ok for you to say something like this.

Comments like this make people leave not stay. And that is not how the forum is set up to work.
My apologies if it came off as excessively rude, however I’m not going to sugar coat a situation to someone if an animals life is on the line. I honestly don’t think it was that rude, she did get advice, but refused to listen to it or couldn’t, but there is no alternative to a veterinarian.

Better to surrender an animal than to just let it die. And furthermore, I never mentioned my personal financial situation whatsoever, nor did I compare myself to her. I don’t quite understand what an alternative option is, the Cham either dies or gets treated. There’s not a middle ground. I truly hope the chameleon gets what help it needs, because the health of an animal is more important IMO. I suppose that if the OP were able to get their hands on baytril online without an RX, that could be a solution to a veterinarian, but I don’t know how doable or recommend that is.

I do want to reiterate that I did not mean to make the OP feel bad or to be insulting, and I apologize for that. Hoping you can come up with a solution somehow :)

My apologies if it came off as excessively rude, however I’m not going to sugar coat a situation to someone if an animals life is on the line. I honestly don’t think it was that rude, she did get advice, but refused to listen to it or couldn’t, but there is no alternative to a veterinarian.

Better to surrender an animal than to just let it die. And furthermore, I never mentioned my personal financial situation whatsoever, nor did I compare myself to her. I don’t quite understand what an alternative option is, the Cham either dies or gets treated. There’s not a middle ground. I truly hope the chameleon gets what help it needs, because the health of an animal is more important IMO. I suppose that if the OP were able to get their hands on baytril online without an RX, that could be a solution to a veterinarian, but I don’t know how doable or recommend that is.

I do want to reiterate that I did not mean to make the OP feel bad or to be insulting, and I apologize for that. Hoping you can come up with a solution somehow :)
Like this? https://allbirdproducts.com/product...pectrum (so treats many different infections).

I came here for help! But can see that isn't going happen. Give eye drops to a cham? Is that like the lethal injection for a cham? As I said previously I am done with this situation. If he overcomes or dies that is in God's hands!
Actually 0.1cc contains 3mg of cipro. Dosage for a cham should be about 12mg of cipro. The dose i told you was 6mg 3x day because i dont know his weight which should help keep him alive while you wait for your vet appt. I was raised poor and love animals of all kinds. I have also worked for several shelters and learned many money saving alternatives. I have helped many people who could not afford the high cost of vets as i do not think any animal should suffer and die because being denied medicine. you said you are done with this situation and its in gods hands. God didnt buy him, you did. To give up so quickly on a new family member is just sad. you asked for help then said you couldnt afford er vet. help was offered and you spit on it. Thats ok. Please give him a chance and at least move him away from that window and stop adding to his chill by over misting.

Is this baytril worth getting for him? Here's video I made of what he's been doing.

Yes a vet is worth it... He is gasping because he can not breathe. Without meds he will not make it. It has to be the right percentage of baytril and it has to be done by his weight. This is why a vet is needed. But also something is wrong that the front of his mouth does not close perfectly. I do not know if he has a mouth infection or what but that is not right.

Yes a vet is worth it... He is gasping because he can not breathe. Without meds he will not make it. It has to be the right percentage of baytril and it has to be done by his weight. This is why a vet is needed. But also something is wrong that the front of his mouth does not close perfectly. I do not know if he has a mouth infection or what but that is not right.
I was sent wrong stuff but don't know dosage any how.

Attachments

• 20230221_161358.jpg
    20230221_161358.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 47
  • 20230221_161410.jpg
    20230221_161410.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 47
You need a good exotics chameleon vet.

If the jaw is because of an infection, it will need to be cleaned out and the chameleon put on the appropriate antibiotic. If the gasping is a respiratory infection it will need treatment too. Then you also have the eye to deal with.

You need a good exotics chameleon vet.

If the jaw is because of an infection, it will need to be cleaned out and the chameleon put on the appropriate antibiotic. If the gasping is a respiratory infection it will need treatment too. Then you also have the eye to deal with.
Well he started eating an going though a full body shed. An gasping has stopped.

Attachments

• 20230221_181235.jpg
    20230221_181235.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 45
Well he started eating an going though a full body shed. An gasping has stopped.
Your chameleon is still not well. Even if gasping has stopped, there is still an apparent mouth infection. A vet is most definitely needed. I hate to say this, as I know how difficult it can be, but if you are unable to take this sweet cham to a vet and get it the help it needs, I would recommend surrendering it. If you post your location we can help you find a qualified exotic vet. Good luck!

Your chameleon is still not well. Even if gasping has stopped, there is still an apparent mouth infection. A vet is most definitely needed. I hate to say this, as I know how difficult it can be, but if you are unable to take this sweet cham to a vet and get it the help it needs, I would recommend surrendering it. If you post your location we can help you find a qualified exotic vet. Good luck!
I couldn’t agree more. Chameleons are masters at hiding their symptoms, sometimes until it’s too late. Many times people don’t know their Cham is sick until they are on deaths door, so just because he may look slightly better, doesn’t mean he is. Chameleons don’t get over colds. I’m sorry OP, i know how hard it can be to part with a pet, but this little guy really needs a vet and if you can’t get him to one, I think the most humane thing would be to find someone who can.

Still need vet care. Without it the infection will spread. Mouth rot and mouth/sinus infections will kill them without treatment. They do not get better on their own.

Seems to be the vets meds are making things worse. He's darkened color and his tongue looks odd. Surprised he's still alive. Looks like he had a stroke or something similar.

Attachments

• 20230227_174535.jpg
    20230227_174535.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 20230225_040039.jpg
    20230225_040039.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 57
Oh this poor poor baby. Did you purchase that baytril you linked? There is a chance that’s not even baytril, since it’s not from a pharmacy, it’s not regulated like other medications. This is why I was apprehensive about purchasing baytril without a prescription, simply you don’t know what you’re getting.

you could try Reptavite (pictured) as it’s a good immune system boost, but I don’t know if it’ll be useful with him already so sick. Make sure you are not misting or fogging at this time either - he needs to dry out. Only offer him water from a dripper until he improves, if ever.

I understand how hard it is to part with a pet, but is there any chance you could rehome him? It has to be more difficult to have a pet die than to give them to someone who can get them the care they need. I would much rather know my chams or dog are happy and healthy in another home than dead because I didn’t want to relinquish them. I really feel for this little guy, he’s a trooper and deserves a chance. Please consider 💕😊

Attachments

• 5B836A6D-E000-4F33-A2A4-F4FFEEF997E5.jpeg
    5B836A6D-E000-4F33-A2A4-F4FFEEF997E5.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 42
You really need to take him to a good exotics chameleon vet asap. Mouth rot won’t clear on its own…and can get really bad really quickly.

I wouldn’t trust any antibiotic I got from a site on line that wasn’t certain to be a safe one.

Back
Top Bottom