One eye closed on Veiled

Closed eyes are not a good sign. Do you have an experienced cham vet around you?? Also, try filling out the "how to ask for help" form. Maybe someone can spot something from there that could be the source, but I'd say take him/her to the vet.

I agree you should fill out the ask for help form. Whats its age, gender, and cage size. Do you have sufficient lighting?

These and more are very important questions that will be answered if you fill out the form. Please do.:)

Try some extra long and very warm mistings. If that doesn't work in a couple of days get some terramycin or gentamycin. If that doesn't help or it is starts to get worse then a vet visit is in order. The ask for help form would be very useful.

Well before i fill that long form out, i'm wondering where i get that ointment at, and how do i force feed her? Should I?

I get it from my vet do a google search you might be able to get it without going through the vet.

How long has it been since she ate? How old is she? What type of lighting are you using? Coil UVB??????

5.0 reptisun linear, and 50watt zoomed spot, basking at 85 rest is about 75F 6months old 1eye closed for about month hasnt eaten in about week and a half

Well before i fill that long form out, i'm wondering where i get that ointment at, and how do i force feed her? Should I?

Like others have said take the time to fill out the form.

Here's a link to a form that makes it easier to fill out on your computer (after you fill it out just cut & paste):

Help Form

Current Problem?:
One eye closed for about a month then recently this week both eyes closed and hasn't eaten for about two weeks now
Species?:
Veiled
Sex?:
Female

Age?:
5-6months
How long has it been in your care?:
2 months
How often do you handle your chameleon?:
Never
What are you feeding your chameleon?:
crickets 1/3"
What amount are you feeding?:
about 5-10 until eye started closing
What is the schedule?:
everyday sometimes every other day
How are you gut-loading your feeders?:
Fluckers cricket diet and fresh greens
What brand of supplements?:
Rep-Cal
What brand and type of calcium and vitamin
products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?:
Rep-Cal
What kind of
watering technique do you use? How often and how long do you mist?:
Drip and HabbaMist(everythree hours 30 secs.)
Do you see your chameleon drinking?:
Yes

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from
recent droppings?:bit yellowish recently and very little fecal matter

Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?:
No

History - Any previous information about your
cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you?:

Cage Type -
Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?:
ZooMed ReptiBreeze
Lighting - What brand, model, and
types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?:
18" ZooMed Reptisun 5.0 linear FL tube, Zoomend 50W spot basking
Temperature - What temp range have you create (cage floor to bask-
ing spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?:
85 basking and 75F floor, lowest temp 65-70 night Digital Thermometer
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating
and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?:
50-60? Made w/ real plants and measured w/ anolog and digital
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?:
umbrella and Pothos
Placement -
Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic
areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?:
Rack up high about 6ft low trafic
Location - Where are you geographically located?:
South Texas

From what I can see, terramycin is now only available with a vet's approval. Depending on how nice your vet is, he might make that arrangement for you without even seeing the animal because it is sort of a "no lose" situation.

Gentamicin, however, does seem to be available over the counter. Here's a link where you can buy it online:

http://www.emedoutlet.com/health-wellness/Gentamicin-Eye-Drops-/377.html

You might contact your local pet stores and see if, perchance, they stock it. My guess would be your best shot would be to start with stores that have in house vets.

Has she had very little stool for a while? like even when she was eating a lot? If so she may be impacted. It sounds like she is dehydrated from the yellow urates. Are you giving any vitamins or just calcium? Does it have D3 or phosphorous in it? An overdose of D3 or an off calcium to phosphorus ratio can cause major problems, and an overdose or deficiency of vitamin A can cause eye problems. Deficiencies are easy to correct but overdoses require immediate medical attention. Regardless, these are only a few things that I believe may be wrong with her based on you info and it does not substitute for a vet visit. I myself have a famale veiled who is basically blind. She has had double eye infections for over 7 months and if you do not get your problem resolved soon yours may end up like mine! If you want to see what she looks like look up key words "Molly" and "infection".

From what I can see, terramycin is now only available with a vet's approval. Depending on how nice your vet is, he might make that arrangement for you without even seeing the animal because it is sort of a "no lose" situation.

Gentamicin, however, does seem to be available over the counter. Here's a link where you can buy it online:

http://www.emedoutlet.com/health-wellness/Gentamicin-Eye-Drops-/377.html

You might contact your local pet stores and see if, perchance, they stock it. My guess would be your best shot would be to start with stores that have in house vets.

Do not get Gentamicin unless you talk to a vet! It is highly toxic to reptiles and IM will kill them and ointment can cause ulcers because chameleons do not have the same eye functions as mammals. I am using gentamicin drops on Molly but I have to be careful not to get any in her mouth or she will get sick.

If she can not see then she can't see her food to eat and you will have to force feed until you get her to the vet or she will be so waek from not eating that she may not make it. Eye problems can also be a sign of a more serious health problem.

d how do i force feed her? Should I?

If she can not see then she can't see her food to eat and you will have to force feed until you get her to the vet or she will be so waek from not eating that she may not make it. Eye problems can also be a sign of a more serious health problem.

It seems like she might need help force feeding. I've never done it, so perhaps someone who has can offer advice?

When I force feed Molly, I like to use freshly killed insects just because it is easier, but if you want you can use live. To force feed, simply hold the food item in one hand and try to open her mouth with you other, then quickly put the food in. This is what I do with Molly because she is a sweety, but if you have a crabby cham I would just take the food item and just it up to he mouth, when she gapes she should either bite it or you can put it in. When I first got Molly it was tricky to feed her because she wouldn't sit still so I actually had to hold her with ont hand, hold the food item in the other with thumb and index finger, and pry open her mouth with my middle finger. It is very difficult :p but I managed. Also, for water spray her A LOT, and not just around her on leaves, but actually on her. I believe chameleons can absorb moisture through their skin and it really helped molly with dehydration. Also use a syringe with distilled water and slowly, drop by drop, drop water into her mouth. You may have to try to stick the syringe into her mouth but if she is fresh she should open for you. try not to let her bite the syringe though. I also like to give fruit/veggie baby food in a syringe to her watered down with distilled water. She doesn't like her supplements and so I mix them in with the babyfood. She doesn't even notice them. It also helps when you force feed because usually your fingers rub off most of the supplements on the food. Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom