Closing one eye?

He gets calcium without d3 at every feeding except the 1st and 15th of each month when he gets reptivite. I was thinking about switching to the repashy because the reptivite doesn’t really stick to his bugs well. I gut load with bug burger and whatever veggies I have at the time. Mist for 2 min every 6 hours.
All spot on, so probably not a vit A deficiency :( is it just the one eye? I would feel a bit encouraged by the fact that he’s closing the eye to roll it around and “clean“ it, and not that he’s just sitting there with one or both eyes closed. I’m betting it’s a little bit of something, probably shed, that’s gotten into the eye. I’ve had it happen before. I’m sorry this isn’t particularly helpful! Eye issues can be such a difficult thing to figure out. I did just see that it has already been suggested to extend your mist sessions. The extra moisture may give him a little more time to clean his eye out. I’m sure this goes without saying, but if it doesn’t clear up soon or your boy continues to rub his eye on branches, then a vet visit will probably be in order :( I know that’s probably exactly the thing you‘re hoping to avoid.

I’ve had the same experience with Reptivite! Wouldn’t stick to anything. And then of course you have to fight yourself with whether or not to add more. I always felt like I was over or under doing it with Reptivite. I far prefer the Repashy LoD. I did learn with LoD that very little goes a long way, and I think there was a period where I may have been a bit too heavy handed with it. My oldest boy ended up with a bit of edema. I upped hydration, fed him a wider variety of bugs and cut all supplements except for plain calcium for a month. The issue cleared right up. Anyway, I hope the supplement switch works out well for you and Spaghetti! It may even be beneficial to his irritated eye.

I hope he feels better soon!

Last edited:
Thank you everyone! I upped his morning misting to 5 min. He was cleaning his eye at that time. I had to leave for work and won’t be home till this afternoon so hopefully it helped. I’ll keep a close eye on him and hopefully between the new supplements on the 1st and extra mistings, it’ll work out. If things start to get worse I’ll definitely take him in to be seen!

Thank you everyone! I upped his morning misting to 5 min. He was cleaning his eye at that time. I had to leave for work and won’t be home till this afternoon so hopefully it helped. I’ll keep a close eye on him and hopefully between the new supplements on the 1st and extra mistings, it’ll work out. If things start to get worse I’ll definitely take him in to be seen!
Keep us posted. ❤️

So I didn’t notice any squinting today. Though I only see him for an hour or so in the morning before work and a couple before bed during the week. He did quite a bit of cleaning during his morning misting so I gave him an extra two minutes. Knock on wood…it seems better today. But I’ll know better tomorrow when I can see him for a longer period.

Yesterday he did fine. Was fine all morning and I noticed about an hour ago he was squinting again. Still no other symptoms. Completely active and he is still using the eye to look around just as much as the other. I dropped some saline in his eye.

Could low humidity or dehydration cause this? His urate was a bit more orange today and his humidity has been a bit on the lower side. I have a dripper going now.

Yesterday he did fine. Was fine all morning and I noticed about an hour ago he was squinting again. Still no other symptoms. Completely active and he is still using the eye to look around just as much as the other. I dropped some saline in his eye.

Could low humidity or dehydration cause this? His urate was a bit more orange today and his humidity has been a bit on the lower side. I have a dripper going now.
Low humidity can cause that from what I understand. What are his humidity levels at?

If he is dehydrated up your misting sessions and add a dropper in the middle of the day so he has extra drinking opportunities.

Low humidity can cause that from what I understand. What are his humidity levels at?

If he is dehydrated up your misting sessions and add a dropper in the middle of the day so he has extra drinking opportunities.
It’s been around 30 today. I’ve had a dripper going for quite a while. I’ll order some hornworms for him today.

Maybe try and keep it around 40 to see what happens. 30 is pretty dry
Yea I usually try to keep it around 50. Lately with the weather changing it’s been a battle. Ofc I had just gotten it to stay around 50 before it started changing. Now I gotta switch it up again. I swear he keeps me on my toes.

Yea I usually try to keep it around 50. Lately with the weather changing it’s been a battle. Ofc I had just gotten it to stay around 50 before it started changing. Now I gotta switch it up again. I swear he keeps me on my toes.
They always do. Try that and see what happens. Is he in a hybrid enclosure?

No he’s in a reptibreeze xl
If you’re struggling with keeping your humidity up with the temperature, change may be setting up some kind of hybrid system that you can take down when you don’t need, it would be helpful. You could use corrugated plastic, cut into proper sized sheets and attach it to the enclosure with command strips. Then, when you no longer need a hybrid enclosure, you can just simply take the corrugated plastic off until you need it again.

If you’re struggling with keeping your humidity up with the temperature, change may be setting up some kind of hybrid system that you can take down when you don’t need, it would be helpful. You could use corrugated plastic, cut into proper sized sheets and attach it to the enclosure with command strips. Then, when you no longer need a hybrid enclosure, you can just simply take the corrugated plastic off until you need it again.
I’ll try that thank you!

I used some shower curtain and covered a couple sides. Been running a dripper more often, and his hornworms will be in today. This seems to have fixed his eye. I’ve been waiting a couple days to say anything just to make sure, but he hasn’t been squinting anymore. Just cleaning like normal! Thank you everyone for all your help!

I used some shower curtain and covered a couple sides. Been running a dripper more often, and his hornworms will be in today. This seems to have fixed his eye. I’ve been waiting a couple days to say anything just to make sure, but he hasn’t been squinting anymore. Just cleaning like normal! Thank you everyone for all your help!
I’m so happy to hear that ❤️

Oh wow!!! Spaghetti is such a cutie! My baby chameleon has this problem as well, she is always shedding. This is most likely a tiny piece of skin that is bugging him, that's why he is rubbing his face on the branch. Also, if he is closing one eye, he may have a water droplet that somehow got in there. This happened to one of my other chameleons one time. If Spaghetti has a lot of plants in his enclosure, (which he should) he also might've poked his little eye! If you keep having this problem, I would contact my local exotic vet and see what they would do. Good job with the saline, that sometimes helps too!!

Back
Top Bottom