Closing one eye?

Gloriawood

Chameleon Enthusiast
So last week I noticed Spaghetti was closing his left eye off and on and seemed to be trying to clean it. I used a syringe to drop some saline on it and that seemed to solve the problem. He was doing it again today and I saw him rub his face on a branch. I dropped some more saline on it and he did the weird eye bulge thing but was fine after. Got home from work a bit ago and he is doing it again? It’s like he is squinting that one eye. Everything else is normal. It has been a bit cooler lately, and I’ve been having a bit of trouble with adjusting his temps, but that shouldn’t affect this right?

I should also mention that he still moves it around when he ‘closes’ it? It’s really more like he’s squinting

The weather shouldn't be affecting his eyes... It seems like maybe he got something in it? A piece of shed perhaps? I'd suggest keeping an eye on him (har har) and also give him some extra long misting sessions, where he's in the spray, so he can really work at cleaning that eye out. Hopefully that's the issue! If not, I'd consider a vet visit on the horizon (maybe even schedule one since they're usually SO far out) to rule out any sort of illness/infection.

Any other behaviors that you've seen that are unusual?

I will increase his misting. Currently it’s set at 2 minutes every 6 hours. What should I up the time to?

I’ll watch it close. He has been his totally normal goofy self! Here’s a couple pics from earlier this evening. It doesn’t even look like it’s swollen or irritated or anything. His rear end had been looking a little hazy the past couple days like he’s about to shed, but that’s it.

Attachments

• IMG_0672.jpeg
    IMG_0672.jpeg
    126.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0667.jpeg
    IMG_0667.jpeg
    158.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0662.jpeg
    IMG_0662.jpeg
    161.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0664.jpeg
    IMG_0664.jpeg
    136.5 KB · Views: 38
I will increase his misting. Currently it’s set at 2 minutes every 6 hours. What should I up the time to?

I’ll watch it close. He has been his totally normal goofy self! Here’s a couple pics from earlier this evening. It doesn’t even look like it’s swollen or irritated or anything. His rear end had been looking a little hazy the past couple days like he’s about to shed, but that’s it.
Haha what a goofy boy. <3

Maybe do a 4-5 minute misting in one instance, really let that water get in his eye to see if he can clean it. If he's fixing to shed, I wonder if there's already a piece coming out and it's bothering him? From the pics I don't really see anything particularly upsetting about his eye.... He's maybe got a bit of puffiness at the base of his turret, but I don't know if that's fairly normal for him or not.

Haha what a goofy boy. <3

Maybe do a 4-5 minute misting in one instance, really let that water get in his eye to see if he can clean it. If he's fixing to shed, I wonder if there's already a piece coming out and it's bothering him? From the pics I don't really see anything particularly upsetting about his eye.... He's maybe got a bit of puffiness at the base of his turret, but I don't know if that's fairly normal for him or not.
It doesn’t seem any puffier than it usually is to me. I’ll do a long session in the morning when he wakes up, that’s when he normally will clean his eyes and get a drink. 🤞

I’ve mentioned before that his sheds are a bit of trouble for him. He has flakes that stick around (you can see in the pics he still has some from his last shed) I’ve thought it was due to his past lack of supplements and environment. I typically just leave them alone and just watch his toes and tail. It is slowly improving though. His last one was his best one yet, though he has yet to have a completely clean one.

It doesn’t seem any puffier than it usually is to me. I’ll do a long session in the morning when he wakes up, that’s when he normally will clean his eyes and get a drink. 🤞

I’ve mentioned before that his sheds are a bit of trouble for him. He has flakes that stick around (you can see in the pics he still has some from his last shed) I’ve thought it was due to his past lack of supplements and environment. I typically just leave them alone and just watch his toes and tail. It is slowly improving though. His last one was his best one yet, though he has yet to have a completely clean one.
That's good that they're improving! It's amazing to see his progress. He found SUCH a loving home. <3 Hopefully this upcoming shed goes super well! My little Boogie is asleep and about ready to EXPLODE with shed. His whole body is white lol. I'm a bit sad because I know I'll miss it while I'm at work tomorrow. Gotta love our little fellas! Fingers crossed he sorts his eye issue out with a good misting.

That's good that they're improving! It's amazing to see his progress. He found SUCH a loving home. <3 Hopefully this upcoming shed goes super well! My little Boogie is asleep and about ready to EXPLODE with shed. His whole body is white lol. I'm a bit sad because I know I'll miss it while I'm at work tomorrow. Gotta love our little fellas! Fingers crossed he sorts his eye issue out with a good misting.
I’m really trying. He’s my first reptile 😬 I really have wanted to do right by him and give him all I can.

I know the first time I got to watch him shed I must have sat there all day and watched. I love seeing him dance 😂

I’m really trying. He’s my first reptile 😬 I really have wanted to do right by him and give him all I can.

I know the first time I got to watch him shed I must have sat there all day and watched. I love seeing him dance 😂
Haha part of me is like: Oh you poor uncomfortable THING! But the other part is like: LOOK AT YOU GO!!!

It's a little hard to tell here but his whole body is about to go lol. He'll be out of his skin in like 15 minutes after he wakes up. He's also never slept there - I can certainly tell he's not super comfortable lol. Was probably pacing all over until his lights went off.

The good news is I'm pretty sure his mister doesn't reach the front of his enclosure there so I'm hoping he doesn't get soaked and struggle to remove all that skin.

Attachments

• 20231115_190838.jpg
    20231115_190838.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 40
Lovely veiled boy. What supplements are you using, and what is your current supplementation schedule like? I’m also curious as to what you’re gutloading your feeders with, and what is your misting schedule like? Rubbing the eye along branches and rolling it under the eyelid means your chameleon‘s eye is feeling irritated. He may be trying to clean it. Could be a piece of shed, some soil from one of his plants or a piece of branch caught in there. A daytime misting of 2-3 minutes may give him the opportunity to flush and clean the affected eye out. If it continues, I’d look at supplementation next and probably get him to an exotic vet.

The first thing I thought to ask about was supplementation because I experienced a similar issue with one of my panther chameleons. He was very obviously experiencing irritation in one eye, and I caught him rubbing it along branches frequently. He would also close that eye a lot and roll it around within the turret. I hadn’t kept a chameleon in years and forgot a lot of important stuff, like what supplements to use. Many things about basic husbandry had also changed, so the information I found when I got my first panther was pretty different. I messed up and purchased Herptivite with beta carotene, no preformed A. My guy wound up with a vitamin A deficiency because of it and that caused the irritation in his eye. He made it worse by rubbing it on branches. He then began experiencing the same problem in the other eye, and I took him to the vet. I ended up completely switching from Herptivite to Repashy LoD. I use that as an all-in-one for both his D3 and multivitamin.

I hope your boy feels better soon!

You're such a good cham parent. I hope you know that. He really is so lucky to have you ❤️❤️❤️

Haha part of me is like: Oh you poor uncomfortable THING! But the other part is like: LOOK AT YOU GO!!!

It's a little hard to tell here but his whole body is about to go lol. He'll be out of his skin in like 15 minutes after he wakes up. He's also never slept there - I can certainly tell he's not super comfortable lol. Was probably pacing all over until his lights went off.

The good news is I'm pretty sure his mister doesn't reach the front of his enclosure there so I'm hoping he doesn't get soaked and struggle to remove all that skin.
He is so darling :love:

Lovely veiled boy. What supplements are you using, and what is your current supplementation schedule like? I’m also curious as to what you’re gutloading your feeders with, and what is your misting schedule like? Rubbing the eye along branches and rolling it under the eyelid means your chameleon‘s eye is feeling irritated. He may be trying to clean it. Could be a piece of shed, some soil from one of his plants or a piece of branch caught in there. A daytime misting of 2-3 minutes may give him the opportunity to flush and clean the affected eye out. If it continues, I’d look at supplementation next and probably get him to an exotic vet.

The first thing I thought to ask about was supplementation because I experienced a similar issue with one of my panther chameleons. He was very obviously experiencing irritation in one eye, and I caught him rubbing it along branches frequently. He would also close that eye a lot and roll it around within the turret. I hadn’t kept a chameleon in years and forgot a lot of important stuff, like what supplements to use. Many things about basic husbandry had also changed, so the information I found when I got my first panther was pretty different. I messed up and purchased Herptivite with beta carotene, no preformed A. My guy wound up with a vitamin A deficiency because of it and that caused the irritation in his eye. He made it worse by rubbing it on branches. He then began experiencing the same problem in the other eye, and I took him to the vet. I ended up completely switching from Herptivite to Repashy LoD. I use that as an all-in-one for both his D3 and multivitamin.

I hope your boy feels better soon!
He gets calcium without d3 at every feeding except the 1st and 15th of each month when he gets reptivite. I was thinking about switching to the repashy because the reptivite doesn’t really stick to his bugs well. I gut load with bug burger and whatever veggies I have at the time. Mist for 2 min every 6 hours.

He gets calcium without d3 at every feeding except the 1st and 15th of each month when he gets reptivite. I was thinking about switching to the repashy because the reptivite doesn’t really stick to his bugs well. I gut load with bug burger and whatever veggies I have at the time. Mist for 2 min every 6 hours.
Thats why I switched to the Reapshy LoD as well, I didn't feel that the Reptivite stuck to the bugs very well and I was worried about my chams not getting what they need.

Thats why I switched to the Reapshy LoD as well, I didn't feel that the Reptivite stuck to the bugs very well and I was worried about my chams not getting what they need.
I ordered some. It’ll be here Saturday. He just had the reptivite on the 14th, should I wait till the 1st to give him the repashy? Or give him some when it comes in?

I hope Spaghetti's eye gets better. I adopted Carmelo over a year ago. I have the same issue with shed.

1. Some part of his body is shedding - always.
2. There is always shed left behind.
I take him outside for natural sunlight. That seems to help. I feel like his face and cask shed once a month. If you find a change that makes shedding more complete please post.

I ordered some. It’ll be here Saturday. He just had the reptivite on the 14th, should I wait till the 1st to give him the repashy? Or give him some when it comes in?
I personally would just keep the schedule the same, so December 1st would be the first time he gets the Repashy LoD. @Beman knows far more about supplements though so she may suggest something different.

Back
Top Bottom